Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: Tornado Season 2021

Site Supporter
    This is from the grinder that was down for over 100 miles to our south. The fact all those trees are bent in the same direction makes me think that was just from the rear flank down draft and not the actual tornado.

Name:  0B265A23-05FF-4452-B68C-8846CBB0F3D3.jpg
Views: 190
Size:  70.5 KB

So far there’s only 5 confirmed deaths, but I imagine that number is going to climb as they make it into the worst hits areas.

@fatdog did you guys make it through ok?
    im strong, i can run faster than train

Just got internet back...
    There's nothing civil about this war.

Site Supporter
    There’s a monster that’s making its way across the southern part of the ATL metro at night right now.

Quote Originally Posted by Caballoflaco View Post
    There’s a monster that’s making its way across the southern part of the ATL metro at night right now.
    Yesterday's storms were bad. We were fortunate enough to come through unscathed, but the areas to the south of us took at least one EF-3. After a near miss from an EF-3 damaged our home in 2014, I have been a bit more apprehensive about tornados.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by farscott View Post
    Yesterday's storms were bad. We were fortunate enough to come through unscathed, but the areas to the south of us took at least one EF-3. After a near miss from an EF-3 damaged our home in 2014, I have been a bit more apprehensive about tornados.
    Glad y’all are ok. It kicked off a little later for y’all than they were predicting.

After two high risk weeks in a row that were less productive than predicted for MS and N. AL I’m afraid people might not take things as seriously next time. (This isn’t blaming the meteorologists, they’re doing the best they can with our current technology. Remember when county wide tornado warnings were a thing)

Hopefully our TN and GA folks made it through ok. That storm that went through south of Atlanta was bad, and Tennessee had a couple bad ones too.

We're all good here, nothing of note. Seems the storm went south of us.

Still, a very poor night sleep for me. There's only one thing in this world that I'm afraid of and it's wind. You can't fight it, shoot it, avoid it. It just comes for you, suddenly and there's nothing you can do. I've struggled with it all my life and wish I knew a way to get past it. I can put on a brave face, it doesn't paralyze me, but inside I am absolutely terrified.
    Food Court Apprentice
    Semper Paratus certified AR15 armorer

Site Supporter
    Here’s something worth reading for all of our southern members from a meteorologist up @farsccott ‘s way. It looks like it’s going to be a long spring down here severe weather wise.

https://www.tnvalleyweather.com/post...w-months-ahead

local area digging in our region here for past seasons where a significantly -PDO, a moderate or stronger La Niña, and a positive TNI phase were all in place simultaneously. I used a PDO threshold of -1.5 (November of this year is already down to -1.77 as we talked about in the 2020 severe thread), an ENSO peak threshold of -1.0 (we've already hit -1.2 as a trimonthly peak, and weekly readings have been lower) and then a positive TNI number (ENSO 4 is already colder than ENSO 1+2, making the TNI now positive, and that will only increase in magnitude). I also only looked for first-year cold ENSO events because, as we are seeing now, these are less prone to the subtropical ridge dominating the weather all winter. That is an important distinction that has to be taken into consideration. These are the seasons, since 1950, where all those things were in place simultaneously:

2010-2011, 2007-2008, 1998-1999, 1973-1974, 1970-1971, 1955-1956

Every. Single. One. of those... not one single failure... had at least one F4+ tornado specifically in the area of AL/MS/TN between I-20/U.S. 80 and I-40 (JAN-MGM to BNA). THERE WAS NOT ONE SINGLE FAILURE. And even in cool seasons where the numbers were close but didn't quite meet those specific thresholds, there were STILL violent tornadoes in the spring in that specific area of AL/MS/TN. It has been almost ten years since the northern half of Alabama has had an officially violent rated tornado, and it has been since 2008 since the southern TN counties of my viewing area have had one. With the exception of far west Alabama being clipped on 4/28/2014, it has been that long since the same area has had an SPC High Risk. With respect to both things there, we are in rather uncharted territory.

The current large scale pattern in place that continues to further assemble itself is what is in place when large scale bad things happen in Dixie Alley. It doesn't always mean they WILL happen every time a pattern similar to this is in place, but this seems to be the specific set of large scale conditions that are in place when major, bad events here do happen. This is the first time since 2010-2011 we have had the combination of a significant first-year Niña in place, a significant -PDO, a +TNI, and cool-season pattern suppression that is keeping the subtropical ridging from taking over early. By no remote stretch of the imagination am I calling for a repeat of 2011, 2008, 1974, 1932, or any other such event... but maybe I am saying that this might mean that the door isn't quite as locked shut for something like that as it would be in any other year with different large scale conditions in place.

Damn, but that was a long night. Dog was not a happy girl.

Everything okay though and we didn't get hit directly by lightning or worse, so, all's well.

Even got my 2nd Covid vaccine about an hour and a half ago.
    There's nothing civil about this war.

With the exception of far west Alabama being clipped on 4/28/2014, it has been that long since the same area has had an SPC High Risk.
    That was the storm that damaged our home. As in broken window, bent doors and door frames, damaged roof, and destroyed fence. And it never was directly over our home; by most estimates it was a quarter mile away. It destroyed the homes directly under it.

that monster long track last night that went from Meadowbrook all the way through Ohatchee and killed those folks passed less than two miles north of us, it left a mess. We only lost a couple of limbs, no big deal.

Two big outbreaks inside 8 days, been in the polygon 5 times between them, it has my full attention at this point.

User Tag List