Page 8 of 11 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast

Thread: Help Me Pick a New Carry Pistol

Site Supporter
    I think “BottomFeederRob” might be a better fit.

My search will probably remain mostly theoretical for a bit longer. Upcoming move, new state of residency, got all the paperwork to deal with, etc. So I probably won't end up with anything new until August/September.

But the hipster/snowflake gun I'm looking at right now is a BUL SAS II UL (I know what a mouthful). With a 115mm mag, grip to match, and 3.25" barrel, it's smaller than all my other 19/2011s while retaining the same set of controls. BUL is offering a version with an abbreviated grip safety and spurless hammer as well. Which shrinks the length of the gun nearly an inch of a standard 19/2011. Only downside is BUL uses it's own mag, so I can't use my 2011 mags in it.

Still...it's hotness:

Name:  8F998511-C7B2-4C93-9A1B-13B404D1BDF3.jpg
Views: 462
Size:  61.7 KB

Name:  184A41AA-ADA9-4EB9-AE39-22BB8B8E08B9.jpg
Views: 454
Size:  75.8 KB

"The victor is not victorious if the vanquished does not consider himself so."
    ― Ennius

Quote Originally Posted by Guerrero View Post
    Thanks for the great link.

Saw this while cruising Enos:

Name:  FF5154F5-7B34-463A-BC26-E9DA98CB4E8C.jpg
Views: 350
Size:  102.8 KB

Guy said he chopped .3" out of the grip and mag body to make it fit flush. The BUL is already 5mm shorter than an STI VIP. That would make this setup about 12.5mm (1/2") shorter than the 120mm VIP gun I am running right now. Between the chopped grip safety, spurless hammer, stubby grip, this would make a fancy little Hipster Carry Gun.

And before folks think I've gone completely off the deep-end. These BULs are running about $1250 delivered. Given the P365 I handled would likely end up with a Boresight grip and I need a whole new stack of holsters, etc cost wise it would come out the same.

As we've talked about the challenge with switching platforms isn't the cost of the new gun, it's everything else that goes into the switch.

"carbine-infested rural (and suburban) areas"
    Quote Originally Posted by RevolverRob View Post
    My search will probably remain mostly theoretical for a bit longer. Upcoming move, new state of residency, got all the paperwork to deal with, etc.
    Have you not paid attention to the threads about buying a handgun or semi-auto long gun in WA? Buy that stuff while you're still a TX resident.
    -----------------------------------------
    Not another dime.

@RevolverRob, that is actually pretty darn nice.
    But, I not seeming to find a lot of reviews online. What have you found?
    "And for a regular dude I’m maybe okay...but what I learned is if there’s a door, I’m going out it not in it"-Duke
    "Just because a girl sleeps with her brother doesn't mean she's easy..."-Blues

Quote Originally Posted by OlongJohnson View Post
    Have you not paid attention to the threads about buying a handgun or semi-auto long gun in WA? Buy that stuff while you're still a TX resident.
    I definitely have, and it's frustrating. But I am not likely to be back to Texas at any point in the next 8-9 months. Between finishing the PhD, moving, new position, etc. Next time we go home will probably be Christmas and even that may not turn out to be the case.

And I need to become a WA Resident, since WA doesn't honor my TX CCL.

Quote Originally Posted by wvincent View Post
    @RevolverRob, that is actually pretty darn nice.
    But, I not seeming to find a lot of reviews online. What have you found?
    James Reeves did a video one: https://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/...-light-review/

Then beyond that there is a pretty long thread over on 1911Addicts and a few threads on Enos. Looks like what is going on is since STI decided to get all Tacticool and dump the ISPC Competition gun market, BUL and SPS are picking up the slack in Europe. And now they are starting to bring the guns here in a decent volume. Like 2-decades ago is when BUL brought it's first double-stack gun here, Kimber imported it and rebranded it. But seems like they've been pretty low volume until the last 2-3 years. In fact they're still low volume. I did reach out to a couple of different dealers. Right now "custom" orders are suspended until at least June of this year, shipments are coming in about once every 6-weeks from BUL right now.

"Custom" basically meaning you give the dealer which model and which options you want and they order it for you.

"carbine-infested rural (and suburban) areas"
    Quote Originally Posted by RevolverRob View Post
    And I need to become a WA Resident, since WA doesn't honor my TX CCL.
    Not unless they've changed the rules in WA. Just go in to any local LE office, fill out the forms and pay your fee. Generally no appointment needed, although hours may be limited, especially due to manpower issues currently. They do a background check and mail it to you a few weeks later. Even if you're a resident of another state, such as TX. Of course, you'll need someone at your address in TX to mail it to wherever you happen to be.

I think if you're a resident, you have to do it at the LE office where you live, but if you're a non-resident, you can pop in to any office that's convenient in your travels.

It's been a couple years since I detailed it all out.

Of course, you should check all the other requirements regarding residency, in all aspects of life. But the concealed pistol license is definitely available and easy for non-residents to obtain.
    -----------------------------------------
    Not another dime.

Site Supporter
    Rob, has no one admonished you yet for contemplating violating the common gun dictum?

Sent from my moto e5 cruise using Tapatalk

User Tag List