Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Help Me Pick a New Carry Pistol

Quote Originally Posted by HeavyDuty View Post
    I’m a little surprised a SCD equipped Glock isn’t on your list, because a G26.5 would fill the need.
    I understand the principle of the SCD, but I'm not sure I can get on board with it. It's still a mechanical device that could fail, and it makes forcing the slide in battery in the event of a contact shot difficult or impossible. Even hammer guns can typically cycle through something like that if you press hard enough. Not sure about the SCD, I'm sure someone has played with that type of use to prove me wrong.

Another way to look at it- if AIWB reholstering dangers are that important to someone either 1) don't carry AIWB or 2) only use hammer fired guns with exposed hammers.

Quote Originally Posted by CraigS View Post
    Ernest Langdon searched for a small DA/SA carry gun and came up w/ this, a Springfield XD-E.
    https://www.langdontactical.com/products/guns/xd-e/
    So hard for me to get excited about any thing Springfield, but I can see the merit and I wish we'd see more guns like this from other manufacturers. Everyone is busy milking striker fired guns for all they're worth. We have an entire generation of shooters who think Glocks have good triggers. They've never experienced a clean single action hammer fired gun.

Quote Originally Posted by RevolverRob View Post
    I honestly didn't realize the grip frames were that cheap. At $40 I've got a Dremel and a hand saw. I'd take a whack at it. This is super tempting, because I like the APX design, especially the Combat.
    You won't be disappointed. If you decide to go APX note that the safety kit will only work for the full size guns for whatever reason. Check with Beretta to be sure. Beretta has a sleeper of a gun in the APX and pretty much no one gives them a second thought. (Until the market was run and people realised they could pick up a high quality Beretta for $330...)

It's easier to buy guns than ammo right now.
    Truer words haven't been spoken lately.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Hot Cereal View Post
    I understand the principle of the SCD, but I'm not sure I can get on board with it. It's still a mechanical device that could fail, and it makes forcing the slide in battery in the event of a contact shot difficult or impossible. Even hammer guns can typically cycle through something like that if you press hard enough. Not sure about the SCD, I'm sure someone has played with that type of use to prove me wrong.

What do you mean hammer guns cycle through something like that? Just trying to make sure I understand what you mean.

The SCD is an excellent device but it's easier to overcome than a hammer.

If you do at least handle that EDC X9S, please let know what you think about it.

I keep wishing that Glock would have designed a reasonably durable and quality, ambi-optional, frame mounted thumb safety.
    Per the PF Code of Conduct, I have a commercial interest in the StreakTM product as sold by Ammo, Inc.

Site Supporter
    I have a G26 with SCD and an APX with the 13-round grip frame to fill this niche. I've carried the G26 a lot and like it. The APX is not fully vetted yet, but so far I like it too. APXs are still cheap relative to the market.

I don't think anyone has mentioned the P30SK yet. I have one of those as well, and my only complaint is that the DA pull is heavier than my P30.

Sent from my moto e5 cruise using Tapatalk

Are 4” barrels an option? Because there are CCOs with 4” instead of 4.25” barrels. It seems other options being thrown out are also in the 4” range but maybe I’m misunderstanding what specific models are being discussed. I’m assuming a 4” CCO would be at least as short in the slide as a full size APX.

Quote Originally Posted by HeavyDuty View Post
    That’s where my sixth finger that sprouts from the web of my thumb comes in handy. Seriously, though - I’m personally ok with two hand decocking, but can appreciate where that may be a requirement. I have my dad’s old duty gun - a P99QA. I’m told compacts were made in QA, but I’ve never seen one. It might fit your DAO requirement.

All that said, presented with your situation I’d be grabbing a 26.5 with gadget.
    Man I knew you were an alien...

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck Whitlock View Post
    Rob,
    I seem to recall that you were a fan of the Kahr CW9.
    Any reason besides capacity that you are not going that route?
    Capacity is the primary reason. The area where I'll be frequenting has had a lot of riots/demonstrations/violence lately courtesy of Antifa.

The second is I had issues with the trigger reset spring and was getting false resets. Which shook my confidence in that gun. I haven't had time, beyond replacing the springs and dryfire to vet it. It'll likely be okay, but since I'm wanting an uptick in capacity anyways...

Quote Originally Posted by Bergeron View Post
    If you do at least handle that EDC X9S, please let know what you think about it.

I keep wishing that Glock would have designed a reasonably durable and quality, ambi-optional, frame mounted thumb safety.
    Would love to get mitts on with the X9S just not sure I'll be able to anytime soon. They seem rarer than hens teeth, right now. And $2700 is too much to spend on a flyer.

Quote Originally Posted by pangloss View Post
    I don't think anyone has mentioned the P30SK yet. I have one of those as well, and my only complaint is that the DA pull is heavier than my P30.

Sent from my moto e5 cruise using Tapatalk
    I found the spiderman grip HKs don't really work for me. That said the P2000/P2000SK (LEM) are on my short list, because the slab grip HKs do work for me.

--

Here's my shopping list so far:

Beretta - PX4CC, APX (actually hands on all three variants since I'd like to chop a full size grip down).
    CZ - P01, P07
    Glock - G26.5
    HK - P2000, P2000sk
    Sig - 365, 365XL
    Smith - M&P 2.0 Subcompact
    Wilson - EDC X9S

-

It's a good list so far. I'm off to spend some time on HandgunHero overlaying them on a Commander.

Quote Originally Posted by Elwin View Post
    Are 4” barrels an option? Because there are CCOs with 4” instead of 4.25” barrels. It seems other options being thrown out are also in the 4” range but maybe I’m misunderstanding what specific models are being discussed. I’m assuming a 4” CCO would be at least as short in the slide as a full size APX.
    A 4" 'CCO' would be possible. You're thinking like a "Champion Compact"? Though I'd kind of like the ability for more ammo (see my post before this one for why).

Site Supporter
    As much as I love the 26 and my enigma, and the fact I can carry a 19 as easily as the 26 in an enigma and the 26 hides really really well I think the sawed off service sized double stacks might be bigger than what I would want for what you’re trying to do.
    im strong, i can run faster than train

P99 is a lovely gun that's a no for me. I can't reach the decocker one handed. That manual of arms simply isn't going to work for me.
    Remembering that you felt that way about it is what kept me from suggesting it, as apart from the optional optic, it ticks every box you put forward in your OP.

Site Supporter
    Don't forget the CZ RAMI!

User Tag List