Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 91011

Thread: Help Me Pick a New Carry Pistol

"carbine-infested rural (and suburban) areas"
    Quote Originally Posted by willie View Post
    The now defunct Star company made a 9mm lightweight 1911 style compact model called the Starlight. Buy two used ones and pay to make them work.
    I had a Star Super B. It went to the range once and became the first gun I sold. Won't buy another Star.
    -----------------------------------------
    Not another dime.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by OlongJohnson View Post
    I had a Star Super B. It went to the range once and became the first gun I sold. Won't buy another Star.
    Quality control varied on these guns which certainly were not premium specimens. I owned two B's bought as new surplus. After my gunsmith tweaked the extractor and ejector polished here and there, they worked ok. Cylinder and Slide could take a pair of Starlights and turn them into nifty carry pieces. The same money could buy better carry pieces. I wish that I still owned the Starlight I had. These pistols are not drop safe.

As a general rule, I won't carry a gun that; has been fully discontinued by a manufacturer, including service and small parts production

So, for example anything from a defunct maker is out. And anything no longer supported actively by the OEM, for instance 3rd Gen Smiths.

My exceptions to this are common gun models. Like a 1911 made by some defunct maker can be kept running, because it's a 1911 and I can order everything I need to build/rebuild one from Brownells. Or if I can't rebuild it, I can replace it with one of a hundred different choices. And I'm not beholden to finding some cosmoline covered stash of Makarov magazines in SARCO's warehouse to keep myself running.

Site Supporter
    @RevolverRob, do you have any updates for us?

Quote Originally Posted by pangloss View Post
    @RevolverRob, do you have any updates for us?
    None right now. Probably August when I make the decision. We're T-Minus 58 days until we leave ChIraqistan and head west. Figure another 30 days to deal with DLs/residency/etc before I can put in an order.

One thought swirling around lately is how high the potential is for me to be involved in an entangled fight. And the benefits of a revolver in those scenarios are high. Which has me looking at Smith 327 PCs. 8-rounds of .357 never makes me feel unarmed. And I have enough .38s and reloading supplies for .38 to last me about two lifetimes.

Quote Originally Posted by RevolverRob View Post
    None right now. Probably August when I make the decision. We're T-Minus 58 days until we leave ChIraqistan and head west. Figure another 30 days to deal with DLs/residency/etc before I can put in an order.

One thought swirling around lately is how high the potential is for me to be involved in an entangled fight. And the benefits of a revolver in those scenarios are high. Which has me looking at Smith 327 PCs. 8-rounds of .357 never makes me feel unarmed. And I have enough .38s and reloading supplies for .38 to last me about two lifetimes.
    I really wish S&W released a 327 with a barrel length in between the long ones of the railed guns and the short one of the snubby. An 8 shot .357 with a 3” barrel would be pretty sweet. The extra inch of barrel would add a couple of ounces but I don’t think that would make it much less convenient to carry since the snubby weighs about 22 oz.
    My posts only represent my personal opinion and do not necessarily reflect the opinions or official policies of any employer, past or present. Obvious spelling errors are likely the result of an iPhone keyboard.

User Tag List