Page 6 of 11 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Thread: Help Me Pick a New Carry Pistol

Quote Originally Posted by BillSWPA View Post
    Since a workplace was part of the stated need, I am really, really uncomfortable recommending anything larger than a P365. Getting caught and potentially compromising employment is not worth any extra size or capacity.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I'm currently leaning pretty hard to a thumb safety equipped P365 or 365XL slide with 365 frame (modern day CCO?).

Quote Originally Posted by Irelander View Post
    P2000SK LEM TLG with stealth levers in a Smart Carry.
    Not too far. I'm going to try the Enigma out - but I suspect I'm going to go back to my Cherries Deep Concealment holster. Which I previously had good success with in concealing a P30 (if I'd only shot the P30 as well as I would have liked). This will put the gun below the waistband for me concealing the whole thing*.

This is another reason why a 1911/2011 may not work. The beavertail and cocked hammer on these guns sticks up past the grip creating concealment issues with the Cherries holster. I have tried and tried to make the Cherries rig work with my 2011, but the beavertail and hammer just make it not viable. With an Enigma I anticipate the grip being higher such they it won't matter as much.

Quote Originally Posted by Rex G View Post
    Regarding a chopped APX, well, “Hmm, very interesting.”
    It's such an intriguing concept, I see myself giving it a shot in the next 12-18 months. But the P365 is going to be an easy button for now. While I explore this concept and see how it works out.

-

*While my personal dress preference is "casual" but I'll be in a fairly serious professional environment and will likely default to business casual. Which for me is usually a polo and dress slacks (since khakis suck). That'll dictate a tucked in shirt, moving my clinch pick to a pocket shield, and a few other things required along the way. Draw speed and pistol access are simply going to be compromised compared to ideal, but it beats trying to throw rocks.
    Last edited by RevolverRob; 03-19-2021 at 10:09 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by RevolverRob View Post
    I'm currently leaning pretty hard to a thumb safety equipped P365 or 365XL slide with 365 frame (modern day CCO?).
    I'm definitely interested in hearing your thoughts if you do go that route. I've seen mixed reports as to how useable the P365 thumb safety is, so I'd love to get impressions from another 1911 user.

I'm not currently in the market for a new small gun, as nothing on the market seems to be "just right," so for now I may as well keep using the CM9 that's as "close enough" as anything else. But if S&W continues to refuse to give any version of the Shield a real safety I may eventually be looking real hard at a P365.

@RevolverRob you're saying that an SCD Glock is for sure out? It really seems like a 19 or 43x/48 is the perfect fit. I'm still really happy with the single stack Glocks.
    “If you know the way broadly you will see it in everything." - Miyamoto Musashi

"carbine-infested rural (and suburban) areas"
    *While my personal dress preference is "casual" but I'll be in a fairly serious professional environment and will likely default to business casual. Which for me is usually a polo and dress slacks (since khakis suck).
    I've been wearing the Duluth five-pocket pants a lot lately. Way more comfortable than jeans in Houston weather. Tough enough to be work/outdoors pants, but fit in as business casual as well.
    -----------------------------------------
    Not another dime.

Quote Originally Posted by MGW View Post
    @RevolverRob you're saying that an SCD Glock is for sure out? It really seems like a 19 or 43x/48 is the perfect fit. I'm still really happy with the single stack Glocks.
    Sorry should have been clearer.

The G19 has always been a non-starter for me. I've never picked one up and shot it well. The hump is in the wrong place. This not only makes the gun not point naturally, but also tends to cause me wrist pain. I can shoot the G17 fine. The G26 is better than the 19 but not as good as the 17.

Reliability issues with 147-grain HST in the 43/48 line particularly with larger capacity mags make them non-starters as well.

Hence for this particular mission the G26 with SCD is the only Glock I'll be considering. And while it's on the list it's not at the top, because there are other compact guns with the same or more capacity that are smaller in virtually every dimension (e.g., 365).

Site Supporter
    Preferences:

<30 oz loaded weight
    Easy to interchange sights
    Drop-in threaded barrel(s) available
    Ability to mount a surefire XC1
    Optics Ready or easy to have milled for an optic

The G26 won't take a XC1, but what about a chopped G19, with a grip modification so it handles like a G26? Some of the pictures I've seen on Boresight Solutions show their grip reduction. This is from their website concerning the options for grips: "Level 2 -- Eliminates the backstrap hump in the lower 1/3, and makes for a much smaller diameter grip. Also makes the pistol point flatter on target, like a 1911. This reduction is ideal for anyone with small hands or short fingers, or who wants a flatter indexing GLOCK"
    --Jason--

Sorry should have been clearer.

The G19 has always been a non-starter for me. I've never picked one up and shot it well. The hump is in the wrong place. This not only makes the gun not point naturally, but also tends to cause me wrist pain. I can shoot the G17 fine. The G26 is better than the 19 but not as good as the 17.

Reliability issues with 147-grain HST in the 43/48 line particularly with larger capacity mags make them non-starters as well.

Hence for this particular mission the G26 with SCD is the only Glock I'll be considering. And while it's on the list it's not at the top, because there are other compact guns with the same or more capacity that are smaller in virtually every dimension (e.g., 365).
    Makes perfect sense to me. I’ve never been able to make a 19 work either. Sounds like the 365 is it. I think enough people have vetted them now to at least give it a try.
    “If you know the way broadly you will see it in everything." - Miyamoto Musashi

Site Supporter
    For some reason I thought of this thread when I picked up two new P30 V3s...

Gonna be a new project.

I hated the LEM but the DA/SA v3 trigger is sweet and p30 fits my hand better than PX4 and B92.

So...I vote finding something in the HK catalog Rob.

365 every day...

Har har har

But seriously..pretty tough to beat.

Another vote for HK. A P30SK seems to fit all of your criteria.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

User Tag List