Page 10 of 11 FirstFirst ... 891011 LastLast

Thread: Help Me Pick a New Carry Pistol

Quote Originally Posted by Trooper224 View Post
    Make sure you carry it in an equally qualitative holster, like Alien Gear.
    Alien Gear has gotten too expensive. I'm gonna get one of these FoxX holsters off eBay. Same quality and construction but 200-cents cheaper! https://www.ebay.com/itm/FoxX-Holste...l/331743615004

After buying one my vote is Wilson EDC X9S. I’ve owned/own SIG P365, P365XL, Glock 26/43/43X/48,19, S&W Shield Plus etc. and I’d take the EDC X9S all the way. Of course at $2,519 it better be good LOL. Second choice would be Glock 26.5 followed by a S&W Shield Plus. Just got the Shield Plus but I’m really impressed with the improvements for the most part.

Site Supporter
    @willie and I have both mentioned the CZ RAMI, and I can't remember if you've stated your reasons for not seriously considering it. Or maybe you did. As I said I can't remember. I think they can be converted to SAO. I used to have a CZ 40B, part of me regrets selling it, which is probably the basis for my attraction to the RAMI. It's not a gun I would choose for carry, but it seems like it'd be in the ballpark for what you're talking about it. Forgive me if I'm totally off base.

Arrow

Rami is definitely on the radar. It's basically a poor man's EDC X9S.

Two concerns with it:

1) Extended thumb safety, because the little thing from CZ won't work well for me. Apparently, CGW will modify a Shadow2 safety to fit a Rami. So that's probably curable.
    2) Discontinued now, so more limited parts support. Not a deal killer, and since many of the parts are shared with the 75 Compact, probably not a big issue.

Otherwise the Rami looks like a very solid choice overall.

My list today: P365 w/Razorback Grip, Rami w/extended safety and SAO conversion, Wilson X9S, BUL SAS UL II - the only edge to the Wilson and BUL are I can use my already extensive selection of '11 holsters for them.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by RevolverRob View Post
    Rami is definitely on the radar. It's basically a poor man's EDC X9S.

Two concerns with it:

1) Extended thumb safety, because the little thing from CZ won't work well for me. Apparently, CGW will modify a Shadow2 safety to fit a Rami. So that's probably curable.
    2) Discontinued now, so more limited parts support. Not a deal killer, and since many of the parts are shared with the 75 Compact, probably not a big issue.

Otherwise the Rami looks like a very solid choice overall.

My list today: P365 w/Razorback Grip, Rami w/extended safety and SAO conversion, Wilson X9S, BUL SAS UL II - the only edge to the Wilson and BUL are I can use my already extensive selection of '11 holsters for them.
    Excellent! Thank you for the update. I didn't know that the Rami had been discontinued. That's sad, but as you mentioned, since there's so much parts interchangeability, it's not as bad as it could be.

Site Supporter
    I have got lost in the thread but will ask this this. Did not Ruger make a 1911 compact model smaller than Commander size?

The now defunct Star company made a 9mm lightweight 1911 style compact model called the Starlight. Buy two used ones and pay to make them work. Try to make them drop safe. I had two over the years. Loose tolerances and almost fair accuracy. Easy to carry concealed. Nothing precise about them. But these guns at one time had a cult following. They grow on you. Has anybody seen MAS lately? Ask him about the Starlight.

Not to be argumentative. Ornery by nature, I try like hell not to provoke my PF friends. I might short sheet Blues' bed if I could but nothing more serious. I think we are overthinking what Rob's new carry piece should be. I say buy one of the smaller S&W pistols with a damn hammer and live with it.

Quote Originally Posted by willie View Post
    I have got lost in the thread but will ask this this. Did not Ruger make a 1911 compact model smaller than Commander size?
    Last I checked they do a steel framed Officer’s sized gun in .45, and an alloy framed one in 9mm. I’m holding out for a CCO-sized gun from them, and expect I’ll be waiting for a lifetime or two.
    Ken

BBI: ...”you better not forget the safe word because shit's about to get weird”...
    revchuck38: ...”mo' ammo is mo' betta' unless you're swimming or on fire.”

Quote Originally Posted by RevolverRob View Post
    Alien Gear has gotten too expensive. I'm gonna get one of these FoxX holsters off eBay. Same quality and construction but 200-cents cheaper! https://www.ebay.com/itm/FoxX-Holste...l/331743615004
    Don't forget a good belt: double hide or other reinforced. That can mean the difference between comfortable carry to the extent you're carrying, and knowing you're carrying in a painful way.

RAMI from CZ:

Recommended as an EDC and shockingly accurate. I have the "B" (non-decocker) model from Cajun Gun Works and the DA and SA are sweet. They performed all their magic on it before the pistol was shipped to me. A little "chunky", but I can shoot it far better than a Glock G43, G48, or G26.

The thumb safety leaves a lot to be desired, and to my knowledge there are no acceptable aftermarket ones available. I carry mine with the thumb safety OFF and the hammer at the half cock notch. The first shot (DA) is almost as easy as subsequent SA shots, thanks to the CGW action job.

Carried in a JMCK OWB holster and I have a Holosun 507K optic for it. When my turn on the wait list comes up, the slide and optic will go to CGW to have the milling work done and the optic installed.

Site Supporter
    Just doing my ol party trick where I tuck a CZ P07 into a JMCK Wing Claw 2.5 and wear a Spandex shirt over it.

I can do this with basically any one of my rashguards.

I'm 5'9 and about 165lbs and the gun/holster combo is about as low pro as it gets for me without going to a pocket gun like a LCP.

I like the TDA option for AIWB personally. I really like the fact that the gun has an OUTSTANDING trigger. I'll have to think about getting it milled for a RDS, but plenty of good options for sights.
    @Clusterfrack Is probably the guy to talk to about how great the P07 is, but he sure as hell made me a believer.

Sent from my moto g(6) using Tapatalk

User Tag List