Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Help Me Pick a New Carry Pistol

Help Me Pick a New Carry Pistol

As circumstances change, so do I. Daily concealed carry is on the menu again. However, while legal, the workplace should he viewed as a cultural NPE. So a compact or sub-compact pistol is the order of the day. Figure this gun is going to be carried in something like a Phlster Enigma.

Requirements:

Compact to sub-compact in size
    Capacity of 10+ in 9mm or 8+ in .45
    Ability to accept larger capacity magazines as reloads
    Ability to safely reholster AIWB*

*For me this is going to be TDA guns with a hammer, DAO hammer guns, or SA or SFA with positive thumb safety.

Preferences:

<30 oz loaded weight
    Easy to interchange sights
    Drop-in threaded barrel(s) available
    Ability to mount a surefire XC1
    Optics Ready or easy to have milled for an optic

Budget:

I have DINK Privilege = It cost what it cost.

-

Leaning strongly towards an SFA w/thumb safety gun. Like an M&P 2.0 Subcompact, P365XL, or maybe something like an APX full size with the grip chopped to Centurion size?

Ideally something that is close to my 19/2011s that I am not fiddle fucking with my mechanics too much to shoot it.

That said I've got so much time on DAO and TDA decocker guns that I'm fine going for something in that realm as long as it has a hammer and is decock only - I'm good.

If you could trim your capacity just a hair, you’d be in CCO territory. It is really, really nice to carry a CCO and they are very easy to shoot.
    Ignore Alien Orders

If you could find a 6906, that would fit a lot of your requirements, but, yea, discontinued. What about an M&P9 sub compact with thumb safety? Seems that would fit too and would keep in-line with 19/20-11 ish manual of arms.

I have an APX centurion. It kicks ass over pretty much every other SFA gun I’ve ever used. The only issues I have with it is the dust cover length. It’s short and getting anything to fit on the rail is impossible. I’ve been posting on anything I can telling Beretta to produce more frame sizes- such as what you’re talking about. I carry the APX AIWB without the safety lever installed and I guess to each his own, but I don’t have many fears of uncommanded discharges with the APX. I think it is a well thought out design.

I’m sure someone could chop the grip and the worst that happens is you waste $40 on a grip frame shell thing. I’d give that a try for sure. Beretta needs to do more to market the APX. The more people using them the more Beretta will put into the platform and the more attention aftermarket companies will give it.
    Last edited by Hot Cereal; 03-17-2021 at 06:41 AM.

Leaning strongly towards an SFA w/thumb safety gun. Like an M&P 2.0 Subcompact, P365XL, or maybe something like an APX full size with the grip chopped to Centurion size?
    M&P shield, M&P2.0 Compact, M&Pc are good guns but don't have hammers. All have manual safeties though. All have versions that are optics ready or can be milled. M&P Compact can be tweaked out into with a very nice duty trigger and barrel.

The P365 is very accurate for its size and quite small.

What about the new Shield Plus.

Ernest Langdon searched for a small DA/SA carry gun and came up w/ this, a Springfield XD-E.
    https://www.langdontactical.com/products/guns/xd-e/

I think the Shield Plus or M&P9 SC would be contenders.

You are familiar with a Glock 19. Consider a Glock 26 with a gadget. That would provide a striker fire gun with a safety device that would accept the mags you have.

I’m a little surprised a SCD equipped Glock isn’t on your list, because a G26.5 would fill the need.

P99c because it can be decocked?

Otherwise, restricting to your list I think I’d be looking at a M&P Compact 2.0 with safety, or a P365 with safety.
    Ken

BBI: ...”you better not forget the safe word because shit's about to get weird”...
    revchuck38: ...”mo' ammo is mo' betta' unless you're swimming or on fire.”

Site Supporter
    There' a new Ruger - https://ruger.com/products/max-9/models.html

I'm sticking with me good ol' Gen 3 Glock 26 in an OWB and a floppy cover garment. I no longer have to be stylish. I shot a G43 and it was Meh and our review discussion was mixed. Since I have nice J frames, they will be my FOG pocket guns.

I have been on a lifelong handgun odyssey, and it's taken me to the CZ P-07 with a CGW ProGrade Kit. It's the ideal carry gun for me. I haven't had any of mine milled for an RDS, but that's a common option. Primary Machine offers a drop-in threaded barrel. I have one, and it works great.

Plus, it's WW's gun of choice.
    “There is no growth in the comfort zone.”--Jocko Willink
    "You can never have too many knives." --Joe Ambercrombie

User Tag List