Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Rifle Can Covers

Site Supporter

Rifle Can Covers

Not entirely sure this is the right place for this question, but since it's directly related to suppressors I'm putting it here.

I think I need a cover for my rifle can. I'm noticing significant heat shimmer or mirage when I get through 10 or so shots on my bolt rifle. Prices seem to run from $40ish to well over $100. I'd prefer to stay on the lower end, but not really sure what makes one better than another. The can is mainly used on a 308 bolt rifle with secondary use on a 223 AR. Mirage is more of an issue on the 308 because I'm using irons that are closer to the bore than the RDS on the AR.

So, what's serviceable without being expensive (relative to its competitors) and what makes this selection better than the others?

Chris

Site Supporter
    Currently my only can and wrap come from these folks...here...

And my wrap is for a .22 suppressed SBR that I like to shoot the crap out of. Got it more to camouflage the can, since I use it to hunt small game. Don't let the lack of name recognition fool you. They have .gov/.mil contracts with several countries, including this one. Were written up in SOF a couple of decades ago. They are a small husband and wife company that place a premium on customer service and their cans are fantastic, with a dedicated following that follow the first rule of Fight Club. Silencerco's field rep complimented my selection, as Silencerco's can was not as quiet nor durable.

And thier Gen 1 wraps are currently $20...

pat

For a cheaper option that works great and also doubles as a helper to remove the can
    https://bowersgroup.com/product/grip...lencer-covers/

Sent from my Pixel 4a using Tapatalk

Site Supporter
    Thanks both!

That Bower sleeve looks interesting. They only have a 12" length in stock, but I can cut it in half and have two in case one tears or stretches out.

Chris

An older post by @Failure2Stop on M4C stated that their testing showed the Manta did best for heat and mirage.

I built a few really low-budget can covers after recovering from the shock of buying $70 can covers.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Trim the drip edge off. Roll to cover the can, trim excess so can is covered with only one layer. Silicone ribs on inside, parallel to bore axis. Tape with Gorilla tape. Decorate with camo tape as desired.

Sorta like this, but homemade. I can post better pictures in a few days.

Name:  EEDF49DB-BB94-4CAC-B38C-840BB751DBE8.jpeg
Views: 312
Size:  9.8 KB
    "Government is not reason, it is not eloquence, it is force; like fire, a troublesome servant and a fearful master"

I like the Rifles Only ones.
    #RESIST

"carbine-infested rural (and suburban) areas"
    Any reason that some exhaust wrap, safety wire, and BBQ black high temp exhaust paint wouldn't work perfectly well for the price of "stuff that's already in my garage?"
    -----------------------------------------
    Not another dime.

Quote Originally Posted by OlongJohnson View Post
    Any reason that some exhaust wrap, safety wire, and BBQ black high temp exhaust paint wouldn't work perfectly well for the price of "stuff that's already in my garage?"
    No idea, but please take pictures and video
    #RESIST

Quote Originally Posted by OlongJohnson View Post
    I was tempted to try one of the silicone drying mats held in place with hose clamps.

User Tag List