Thread: Lithium for Comp M4 & M5

Lithium for Comp M4 & M5

Hive,

My search fu is weak. I cannot find what I'm looking for. Need recommendation for lithium batteries for AA & AAA (Comp M5 & M4). All my searches end up corrupted with alkaline results and brand names I've never heard of. i know duracell is highly thought of, but cannot seem to find them in anything but alkaline and Energizer seems to be the lithium answer...dunno. Recommendations appreciated. Also, any pros / cons for rechargeable vs non-rechargeable? Don't care either way on the latter, just trying to protect the sight. If you have a preferred vendor that would be good too. Thanks to you all.

Pretty sure Energizer is the only game in town for lithium primary cells available for consumers for AA and AAA. Not sure I see the point of rechargeable batteries for an Aimpoint; not only do they typically have worse battery life per charge, they also tend to handle environmental extremes less well, while the battery life of an Aimpoint is long enough that the ROI on recharging wouldn't really be there compared to things that drain the battery much faster.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Default.mp3 View Post
    Pretty sure Energizer is the only game in town for lithium primary cells available for consumers for AA and AAA. Not sure I see the point of rechargeable batteries for an Aimpoint; not only do they typically have worse battery life per charge, they also tend to handle environmental extremes less well, while the battery life of an Aimpoint is long enough that the ROI on recharging wouldn't really be there compared to things that drain the battery much faster.
    My comp m4 with a Duracell has been on for about two years now more or less. I should probably change the battery soon... I’ve left a comp m3 on for longer than that without a battery change.
    im strong, i can run faster than train

1)The Energizer AA and AAA lithium primaries are the only ones I'm aware of, and they work fine in my experience.

2)Eneloops might be worth a try. I can't see them hurting the sight; the difference is that they only produce 1.2V vs 1.5 for a fully charged alkalines. But almost-discharged alkalines can go that low when mostly discharged, so most devices designed for alkalines will work with them. From the devices point of view, an eneloop is just a mostly used up alkaline. Eneloops have one yuuuge advantage over alkalines - they don't leak. I'd be really reluctant to leave alkalines in anything expensive.

(I guess I should add, eneloops produce 1.2V not because they are mostly discharged, but because their chemistry - nickel metal hydride - just runs at 1.2V. They will produce as much electricity as an alkaline, just at the lower voltage)

3)I recently heard of a new thing for rechargeables - they take a lithium ion 3.7V cell and put in an AA sized package with a voltage converter that steps it down to 1.5V. Search amazon for '1.5v aa lithium ion' and you'll see examples. I have no experience with them. I suppose the target market is the occasional device that doesn't like the 1.2V you get from Eneloops. There is at least the potential for the voltage converter to fail in a way that sends more than 1.5V to your device,

My personal approach would be to try eneloops for a range toy and just get the Energizer primaries for anything else, but YMMV.

Energizer lithiums work fine, and they are my preference for devices that take AAA/AA. None of my current optics use this, but I use them in my PVS14, and my ComTacs

I but them, and my surefire 123 at Lowe's

Honestly I would just throw some energizer lithium’s in and call it good.

I remember a Aimpoint rep said that a lithium battery in the comp m4s give it a 10year battery life. Pretty ridiculous battery life. I still swap it out at 2 year mark and just use the old battery in another non essential device. Overkill, yes since the batteries are still like new.

Thanks all. Appreciate the inputs.

Yes.

Energizer Lithium.

I have been using them in Comp M4s and M5s since they came out.

I change them immediately upon receiving the optic. I won’t put an alkaline battery in one.

User Tag List