Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: "Mayberry" Gets a Wake-up Call

"Mayberry" Gets a Wake-up Call

The town I live a few miles outside of finds that it "isn't in Kansas anymore"...

Bombs Discovered In Downtown Brevard, Church Evacuated
    Last updated 3/14/2021 at 4:34pm
    Alex Perri

Law enforcement officers cordoned off a perimeter downtown after Brevard police officers found several small incendiary devices in the area.

Multiple incendiary devices were found in downtown Brevard Sunday morning, leading to the evacuation of church services at First Baptist Church of Brevard and the Transylvania County Community Services Building.

According to a press release from the Brevard Police Department, the police received a call reporting the suspected devices at 10:30 a.m. When officers responded, they found several small suspected incendiary devices that had not been detonated in the area around East Morgan and Gaston streets. Services at First Baptist were in session at the time; it was evacuated along with the county building, and the area was cordoned off.

At a Sunday afternoon press conference, Deputy Police Chief Tom Jordan did not specify how many devices were found, but he said that no one was injured. The police department is working together with the Transylvania County Sheriff's Department, SBI, FBI and ATF to investigate the matter. Jordan said authorities are following up on leads at this time and that there are no apparent connections to any group or motive as of Sunday afternoon.

Law enforcement has cordoned off a perimeter around the crime scene which includes east Main Street and the area around First Baptist Church and the Community Services Building, and they are not sure how long it will remain in place.

The Transylvania Times will report additional details as they become available.

https://www.transylvaniatimes.com/st...ted/48519.html
    There's nothing civil about this war.

Don't let the citizens of Mt. Airy hear you call Brevard Mayberry.

Them's fighting words.

To your original point though:

There's a lot of that going on in liberalville.

" Why do police need AR 15 's? Why do police need a swat team? Can't we Just just go around with unloaded revolvers or uncle Joe's double barrel ?"

Quote Originally Posted by ccmdfd View Post
    Don't let the citizens of Mt. Airy hear you call Brevard Mayberry.

Them's fighting words.
    They know where to find me.

Site Supporter
    Andy used a Winchester Model 1897.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by blues View Post
    They know where to find me.
    I do. (From a Mount Airy aka Mayberry native).

Site Supporter
    Blues, do you have stake in Transylvania? Given that you are usually punny, I could not resist.

Quote Originally Posted by deputyG23 View Post
    I do. (From a Mount Airy aka Mayberry native).
    Come on down, bro'. I'll add insult to injury by bringing you for a slice of pie over here:

Scary story.

Still, I'm not 100% sure what to make of it. What is a small incendiary device? Given my general policy of total distrust of the press--I know this is a small, local paper and probably still has some connection to reality, like my own local paper does, but still--I can't help but wonder if there were a few firecrackers discovered. Or maybe some of them little paper things you throw on the ground and they make a pop. Possibly it was a few small pistol primers, and the cops decided to use code words so as not to start a stampede of folks trying to come down and claim them. Maybe the terrorists wanted to vandalize the church's statues, but being themselves unchurched didn't realize Babdists aren't big on that kind of thing. ("Dang, where's the St. Junipero Serra statue? I thought all these Christians had them? Oh well. Let's leave this bullet here instead. That'll show em.")

I'm really not trying to be flippant about this situation, if it really was some kind of planned terrorist attack. There is no doubt that we will continue to see attacks against religious houses increase in number and gravity, and this could be one. It's just such vague language. (Also, it switches part way through the article from talking about incendiary devices to suspected incendiary devices.)

Oh, and as a Stokes County resident, I'm gonna side with my Surry County neighbors and protest non-Mount Airy places being called Mayberry.
    O judgment! Thou art fled to brutish beasts, And men have lost their reason.

More training will be needed.

In the P-F basket of deplorables.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by blues View Post
    Come on down, bro'. I'll add insult to injury by bringing you for a slice of pie over here:

I would love to.
    Especially when Brevard hosts its annual music festival.
    Haven’t been to Asheville/Mars Hill since my year in school there ‘76-‘77.

User Tag List