Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: I got scammed! Help with Zelle

If you don’t hold it, it’s not yours, and you don’t own it. That’s why we only rely on a small portion of our portfolio to be in financial institutions working with electronic fiat currencies.

I’ve invested heavily in metals over the years, and my rates of return are solid enough to not have to go get a day job, allowing me to retire, and be retired at age 43. (Marrying a hot rich chick helped a little bit too)
    You can get much more of what you want with a kind word and a gun, than with a kind word alone.

Yeah, none of that sounds remotely like a reputable breeder. Definitely expect a meet-and-greet and extensive communications. It's also fairly standard to require a referral or recommendation from your vet. Legitimate breeders aren't out to make a profit by selling puppies--they're in it to advance the breed or to show dogs. The puppies that they sell are the ones that they're not going to breed or show. As such, they'll come with a (mostly unenforceable) agreement to spay/neuter, and the breeder is more interested in not being exposed on any costs they incur transporting the puppy, and finding a good home for them. They're not making any money on the sale. They'll never pressure you for more money, you'll either cover the transportation cost or not; reputable breeders tend to have no problem finding homes for their puppies.

Don't feel bad. We get reports of this exact scam fairly often. If it's any consolation, $200 is on the low side, as far as what I've seen. You can file a report with your local police agency. You should not expect an investigation, as one would be pointless anyway. Whether or not it's worthwhile depends on (a) how quickly said agency processes admin calls, and (b) whether your bank requires a police report.

Quote Originally Posted by Giving Back View Post
    ....allowing me to retire, and be retired at age 43. (Marrying a hot rich chick helped a little bit too)
    Marrying a hot chick normally means never retiring. I wouldn't know what to do with one that was rich, as well

@Poconnor , the demand for puppies in my AO is nuts. Mixed breed dogs with no papers are regularly in the $3k+ range.

I think it's coronavirus related, though. With everyone stuck in their homes, kids especially, could use canine companionship. Since our dog passed last year, my wife has been heartbroken, and she finally was ready for a new puppy a few months ago. It took us a month, but we ended up with a puppy. We met the seller, and only after feeling comfortable with them, did we purchase. She wanted to put a deposit down, but I advised against it, and I think it was a good decision, as we had contact with some shady characters previously. In the end, the best course of action, was to have a pile of cash on hand, a bill-of-sale preprinted, and the ability to drop everything on a dime and drive to wherever/whenever.

I hope you find your dog soon, at whatever the cost. In the end, it'll be worth it.

Quote Originally Posted by theJanitor View Post
    Marrying a hot chick normally means never retiring.
    I have just a few years to go, and seeing some of my buddies with younger wives starting to wonder about how that is gonna work out for them...

Since our dog passed last year, my wife has been heartbroken, and she finally was ready for a new puppy a few months ago.
    For us I do not think either of us were ready in the grief sense, but I think MrsMMc was so heartbroken she was constantly looking at adoption groups on FB and the outcome was kinda inevitable

In the end, the best course of action, was to have a pile of cash on hand, a bill-of-sale preprinted, and the ability to drop everything on a dime and drive to wherever/whenever.
    Yeah, we ended up going from OH to LA (ended up meeting in MS), I wonder how many great dogs we drove past on the way, hahaha.

I hope you find your dog soon, at whatever the cost. In the end, it'll be worth it.
    In our case, this one sure has been a good one...

Quote Originally Posted by Wise_A View Post
    Yeah, none of that sounds remotely like a reputable breeder. Definitely expect a meet-and-greet and extensive communications. It's also fairly standard to require a referral or recommendation from your vet. Legitimate breeders aren't out to make a profit by selling puppies--they're in it to advance the breed or to show dogs. The puppies that they sell are the ones that they're not going to breed or show. As such, they'll come with a (mostly unenforceable) agreement to spay/neuter, and the breeder is more interested in not being exposed on any costs they incur transporting the puppy, and finding a good home for them. They're not making any money on the sale. They'll never pressure you for more money, you'll either cover the transportation cost or not; reputable breeders tend to have no problem finding homes for their puppies
    This definitely mimics my experience. My wife and I have 2 Italian Greyhounds, one purchased when we were dating, and we had to have references and an interview with the breeder before we could purchase. One big concern she had was that we were not married ("what happens if my y'all split up"), but we've now been married for 5 years so I think we passed the test . The demand for her dogs are pretty insane as she has multiple champions, and if we didn't past muster, there were probably 10 people in line that would have happily taken our spot for a puppy. We had to sign several pages of paperwork, one, like you say, agreeing to spay. My Dad has purchased a couple of South African Mastiffs (Boerboels) over the past 15-20 years from a breeder and they were maybe more rigorous, requiring him to fly basically halfway across the country to meet with them in person on the first puppy before they would sell.

To the OP, I really hope you find your dog, man. I genuinely hate that this happened to you. I know the loss of money sucks, but the loss at a potential dog is worse. Good luck on your search and I hope that your bank is able to provide you with a quick refund.

Marrying a hot chick normally means never retiring. I wouldn't know what to do with one that was rich, as well
    Whatever she asks.

Site Supporter
    So, not to scare the pants off of folks about the google stuff.

What happened to us once was our credit card information was compromised. The first indication was there was like one or two repeated charges for $.99. Then they hit it for everything that it was worth and drained the checking account.

We were able to recover the funds (after 14 days) because it was a credit/debit card.

It’d probably be a good idea to have a new card issued.

This would not require a new account, but simply a new card.

I’m not a defacto expert, but I have seen this and that’s what it seems to me is your card may have been compromised by some online vendor, and they’re testing the cards to find which ones are active.

I hope that is not the case.

ETA: Also, don’t hate me but go ahead and drive to the bank and get a temporary card physically versus calling the hotline if you do decide to exercise this option.

If you call the hotline they will cancel your card and mail another one within 7 business days. Most folks actually need the money they need in their checking/savings account for some weird reason and don’t plan on not being able to spend any of it for two weeks.

Crazy talk here. But, that’s banks for you.

“Hey I have some potentially fraudulent charges I wanted to call and check in about”

“Okay let me check something”

Long pause “How’s it looking?”

“We have canceled your card”

“... okay well do I get another one?”

“We should have one to you in 5 to 7 business days.”

Was how that phone call went.
    Last edited by BWT; 03-17-2021 at 10:20 AM.
    God Bless,

Brandon

Quote Originally Posted by BWT View Post
    So, not to scare the pants off of folks about the google stuff.

What happened to us once was our credit card information was compromised. The first indication was there was like one or two repeated charges for $.99. Then they hit it for everything that it was worth and drained the checking account.

We were able to recover the funds (after 14 days) because it was a credit/debit card.

It’d probably be a good idea to have a new card issued.

This would not require a new account, but simply a new card.

I’m not a defacto expert, but I have seen this and that’s what it seems to me is your card may have been compromised by some online vendor, and they’re testing the cards to find which ones are active.

I hope that is not the case.

ETA: Also, don’t hate me but go ahead and drive to the bank and get a temporary card physically versus calling the hotline if you do decide to exercise this option.

If you call the hotline they will cancel your card and mail another one within 7 business days. Most folks actually need the money they need in their checking/savings account for some weird reason and don’t plan on not being able to spend any of it for two weeks.

Crazy talk here. But, that’s banks for you.

“Hey I have some potentially fraudulent charges I wanted to call and check in about”

“Okay let me check something”

Long pause “How’s it looking?”

“We have canceled your card”

“... okay well do I get another one?”

“We should have one to you in 5 to 7 business days.”

Was how that phone call went.
    People don't like to deal with cash anymore but I've got a safe and enough cash to get me by for a month. The banking industry is going to blow this country up one of these days. Came very close in 2008. I took my entire 401K out of the stock market 3 days before the melt down. I saw it coming.

https://www.thebalance.com/what-was-...t-bill-3305675
    In the P-F basket of deplorables.

Quote Originally Posted by Borderland View Post
    People don't like to deal with cash anymore but I've got a safe and enough cash to get me by for a month.
    I never used to, but when the CV hit I had a friend pay me for a gun or something in cash and I just started keeping a little in there. I still track it as savings, but I pretty much quit taking cash to the bank. Also can't remember using my ATM card, since when we need cash I withdraw it from the basement...

User Tag List