Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 41

Thread: I got scammed! Help with Zelle

  1. #11
    Brass Rat Borderland's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2019
    Location
    The Salish Sea
    Quote Originally Posted by wvincent View Post
    No kidding? I've been seeing the same Google transactions for $0, multiple times.
    My bank claimed no knowledge either.
    This may be conspiracy theory BS but I think it may be some deal that my bank made with Google to have access to my debit card information. How else is Google going to get that unless my bank gave it to them? This is all very strange and if I find out they did that I'm taking my money someplace else. I should have done that a long time ago but the auto deposit switch is a damn nightmare. I'm going to call the state AG's office and see if they can tell me what these assholes are up to.
    In the P-F basket of deplorables.

  2. #12
    Brass Rat Borderland's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2019
    Location
    The Salish Sea
    Quote Originally Posted by LorenzoS View Post
    The safest thing to do is open a new account asap. You can leave a small amount in the old account while any automatic payments, checks, etc. clear before fully closing it.
    Just did that last year. I've had to do that about 5 times in the last 10 years. Shit gets old.
    In the P-F basket of deplorables.

  3. #13
    Site Supporter
    Join Date
    Apr 2016
    Location
    TX
    Be glad it was only $200. Take it as a learning experience.

    Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

  4. #14
    Site Supporter
    Join Date
    May 2015
    Location
    America
    Iím looking for a black and white bull terrier. They wanted me to send them more money. Iím glad I didnít.

  5. #15
    THE THIRST MUTILATOR Nephrology's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    West
    Quote Originally Posted by wvincent View Post
    No kidding? I've been seeing the same Google transactions for $0, multiple times.
    My bank claimed no knowledge either.
    For my freelance side work I will occasionally get 1 cent transactions from Gusto, a 3rd party payroll company that dispenses my pay and manages my 1099 and so forth.

    That said I also recognize the charges, have a pre existing relationship with them... etc....

    Maybe it's a Google subscription? That said I pay for Drive and haven't seen any of that myself....

  6. #16
    I have had two credit cards and a debit card all have weird unauthorized transactions in the last month and a half. It's getting to the point where I think I must have some sort of virus or something on my computer or phone or my wife's phone but I can't figure it out for the life of me. I run quality anti-virus, always use a VPN on any wifi and I've had multiple full scans come back clean. I also have identity monitoring from the opm hack and that hasn't alerted on any of the cards.

    The bank and credit card company have refunded the charges in all cases but it's concerning I've had this happen on multiple cards and accounts in such a short span of time.

  7. #17
    Brass Rat Borderland's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2019
    Location
    The Salish Sea
    I had three Goggle Temporary Hold lines show up two days ago and now they're not on my statement anymore. They just disappeared. Maybe the banks software is letting them get posted in error. We deal with two different banks and this hasn't shown up on any of the statements with the other bank. The woman I talked to about it on the phone probably wasn't authorized to explain it but I have a pretty good idea she knew why it was there. I can tell when people want to end a conversation ASAP.
    In the P-F basket of deplorables.

  8. #18
    Brass Rat Borderland's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2019
    Location
    The Salish Sea
    Quote Originally Posted by VT1032 View Post
    I have had two credit cards and a debit card all have weird unauthorized transactions in the last month and a half. It's getting to the point where I think I must have some sort of virus or something on my computer or phone or my wife's phone but I can't figure it out for the life of me. I run quality anti-virus, always use a VPN on any wifi and I've had multiple full scans come back clean. I also have identity monitoring from the opm hack and that hasn't alerted on any of the cards.

    The bank and credit card company have refunded the charges in all cases but it's concerning I've had this happen on multiple cards and accounts in such a short span of time.
    My opinion is banks don't have any control over hackers doing electronic transfers anymore. They want you to monitor it with alarms and alerts. If you don't catch it then the money is gone. To date I've had 30K hacked from checking accounts. The bank had to replace it but somebody is 30K richer and I doubt they were able to recover it. They probably just write it off as operating costs.

    I now operate with two accounts. One has a debit card attached and the other one isn't used for outside transactions. I don't keep a lot of money in my checking account anymore because they get hammered by hackers, at least mine does.
    Last edited by Borderland; 03-15-2021 at 06:53 PM.
    In the P-F basket of deplorables.

  9. #19
    Quote Originally Posted by Borderland View Post
    This may be conspiracy theory BS but I think it may be some deal that my bank made with Google to have access to my debit card information. How else is Google going to get that unless my bank gave it to them? This is all very strange and if I find out they did that I'm taking my money someplace else. I should have done that a long time ago but the auto deposit switch is a damn nightmare. I'm going to call the state AG's office and see if they can tell me what these assholes are up to.
    You may be right, but not for that reason. Anyone your bank is sharing / selling information with doesn't need to post $0 transactions. You have to check your banks consumer privacy notices to see what information they can 'share'. Examples:

    https://www.bankofamerica.com/securi...rivacy-notice/
    https://www.chase.com/digital/resour...cy-notice.html

    etc. Notice what you can't opt out of and compare to to some major credit unions. The difference is stark.

    Re: transactions. Are they actually $0 or just less than $1? The latter is a common mechanism some banks use to determine if you actually own an account before setting up automatics payments / EFTs / etc. Used in lieu of you providing a voided check, your username/password, etc. Sometimes they'll debit the account 2-3 transactions, each less than a dollar and ask you to verify the amounts before they reverse the charges. Once you verify, they will allow you to send e.g. EFTs to/from the account, etc. I don't know if Google does this for setting up Google Pay offhand. It could be someone trying to establish 'ownership' of the account so they can set up an outbound EFT or wire and then ride off into the sunset.

  10. #20
    Brass Rat Borderland's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2019
    Location
    The Salish Sea
    Quote Originally Posted by jh9 View Post
    You may be right, but not for that reason. Anyone your bank is sharing / selling information with doesn't need to post $0 transactions. You have to check your banks consumer privacy notices to see what information they can 'share'. Examples:

    https://www.bankofamerica.com/securi...rivacy-notice/
    https://www.chase.com/digital/resour...cy-notice.html

    etc. Notice what you can't opt out of and compare to to some major credit unions. The difference is stark.

    Re: transactions. Are they actually $0 or just less than $1? The latter is a common mechanism some banks use to determine if you actually own an account before setting up automatics payments / EFTs / etc. Used in lieu of you providing a voided check, your username/password, etc. Sometimes they'll debit the account 2-3 transactions, each less than a dollar and ask you to verify the amounts before they reverse the charges. Once you verify, they will allow you to send e.g. EFTs to/from the account, etc. I don't know if Google does this for setting up Google Pay offhand. It could be someone trying to establish 'ownership' of the account so they can set up an outbound EFT or wire and then ride off into the sunset.
    $0.00 amount but still a line item on my internet balance sheet.

    I understand the <$1 transfer ping. I've set those transfers up at both of my banks to move money to and from different accounts. I'm still digging into this for some answers and looking at the consumer privacy notice will probably be my next adventure. I used to do all my banking with a credit union and I was pretty happy there. My problem is I need a bank within 20 miles of where I live (I'm retired) and I only have one that close that continues to amaze me with their incompetence. It isn't a bank that you would recognize.
    Last edited by Borderland; 03-15-2021 at 07:30 PM.
    In the P-F basket of deplorables.

User Tag List

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •