Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 41

Thread: I got scammed! Help with Zelle

  1. #1
    Site Supporter
    Join Date
    May 2015
    Location
    America

    I got scammed! Help with Zelle

    Long story story I got scammed trying to buy a puppy . So far it looks like my biggest mistake was using Zelle. I sent them $200 by Zelle for a deposit. The next day I drove 400 miles to pick the puppy up. When I arrived I learned that the people at the house had no idea what I was talking about. It was a long 400 miles home. There were plenty of red flags but I told myself there are plenty of weird people in the world. Any experience getting money back from Zelle?

  2. #2
    Site Supporter RoyGBiv's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Fort Worth, TX
    You probably already read this.... but just in case...

    https://www.zellepay.com/pay-it-safe...raud-and-scams
    SCAM

    If you were knowingly involved in the transaction and you gave the ďokĒ and authorized a payment to be sent, this is typically defined as a scam. Even if you were tricked or persuaded into authorizing a payment for a good or service someone said they were going to provide, but they didnít fulfill it, this would be considered a scam. Because you authorized the payment, you may not be able to get your money back. A few types of scams reported involve purchasing tickets, buying puppies and other financial scams like cash flips. Get more examples of scams.


    Contact Your Financial Institution for Possible Recourse

    Contact your bank or credit union immediately if you feel youíve been the victim of fraud or have been scammed. In cases of unauthorized payments, consumers have legal rights and protections under the Electronic Funds Transfer Act (also known as "Reg EĒ). Itís important to read the user service agreement and the account agreement with your financial institution to understand the terms of any payment service you intend to use.
    "No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms." - Thomas Jefferson, Virginia Constitution, Draft 1, 1776

  3. #3
    Pretty sure you're SOL. Zelle is the same as just handing over cash, AFAIK.

  4. #4
    Site Supporter RoyGBiv's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Fort Worth, TX
    It's a crime.... but with damages of $200 (travel costs likely don't count), your best chance is if your bank likes you enough to refund you and pursue the perp on their own dime.
    "No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms." - Thomas Jefferson, Virginia Constitution, Draft 1, 1776

  5. #5
    Brass Rat Borderland's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2019
    Location
    The Salish Sea
    Can't help you here but I'm starting to see some strange pass thru transactions on my checking account identified as Google. Zero amounts, but account information none the less. Never seen that before and when I called the bank they couldn't or wouldn't tell me why it was there. I've never had any transactions with Google.

    Check your account every day because there is some strange shit going on in the electronic banking world. My guess is it's data mining but have no clue.
    In the P-F basket of deplorables.

  6. #6
    Quote Originally Posted by Borderland View Post
    Can't help you here but I'm starting to see some strange pass thru transactions on my checking account identified as Google. Zero amounts, but account information none the less. Never seen that before and when I called the bank they couldn't or wouldn't tell me why it was there. I've never had any transactions with Google.

    Check your account every day because there is some strange shit going on in the electronic banking world. My guess is it's data mining but have no clue.
    No kidding? I've been seeing the same Google transactions for $0, multiple times.
    My bank claimed no knowledge either.
    "And for a regular dude Iím maybe okay...but what I learned is if thereís a door, Iím going out it not in it"-Duke
    "Just because a girl sleeps with her brother doesn't mean she's easy..."-Blues

  7. #7
    Quote Originally Posted by Poconnor View Post
    Long story story I got scammed trying to buy a puppy . So far it looks like my biggest mistake was using Zelle. I sent them $200 by Zelle for a deposit. The next day I drove 400 miles to pick the puppy up. When I arrived I learned that the people at the house had no idea what I was talking about. It was a long 400 miles home. There were plenty of red flags but I told myself there are plenty of weird people in the world. Any experience getting money back from Zelle?
    You are SOL
    https://www.zellepay.com/user-service-agreement
    The first thing Zelle tells you in the user agreement is:
    THE SERVICE IS INTENDED TO SEND MONEY TO FRIENDS, FAMILY AND OTHERS YOU TRUST. YOU SHOULD NOT USE THE SERVICE TO SEND MONEY TO RECIPIENTS WITH WHOM YOU ARE NOT FAMILIAR OR YOU DO NOT TRUST.

  8. #8
    Site Supporter SD's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2016
    Location
    NW Florida
    No information about this Zelle. Good Breeders will almost always want to do a meet & greet with perspective owners before even talking business. Do not know enough about this situation hopefully you can recover the money. What breed of dog are you considering?

  9. #9
    Brass Rat Borderland's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2019
    Location
    The Salish Sea
    Quote Originally Posted by SD View Post
    No information about this Zelle. Good Breeders will almost always want to do a meet & greet with perspective owners before even talking business. Do not know enough about this situation hopefully you can recover the money. What breed of dog are you considering?
    This.

    I had to fill out a contract 2 months before I could buy a puppy. Then I had to meet the seller so they could decide if they wanted to sell me a puppy. The breeder was well known in the trial community and had lots of references. I paid on delivery.
    In the P-F basket of deplorables.

  10. #10
    Quote Originally Posted by Borderland View Post
    ... I'm starting to see some strange pass thru transactions on my checking account identified as Google. Zero amounts, but account information none the less...
    The safest thing to do is open a new account asap. You can leave a small amount in the old account while any automatic payments, checks, etc. clear before fully closing it.

User Tag List

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •