Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Ruger MAX-9

No doubt they will sell a boatload, especially at that price point. A pistol in this size/capacity niche from one of my favorite gun companies piques my interest, but the 3.25lb trigger and the non-ambi thumb safety both kill it.

Maybe Ruger will come out with a hammer fired true DAO version down the line? If theres any company willing to make production runs to appease a minority of its customer base, that company is Ruger.

The AR write up states a 5-12 trigger pull.
    Ken

BBI: ...”you better not forget the safe word because shit's about to get weird”...
    revchuck38: ...”mo' ammo is mo' betta' unless you're swimming or on fire.”

"carbine-infested rural (and suburban) areas"
    I actually liked the trigger on my LCP Custom. Hammer fired, DAO, and very smooth once the action was deburred so the gun wasn't filing itself when you pressed the trigger. I'd be down with something just like it but with the size and capacity of a P365XL.
    -----------------------------------------
    Not another dime.

Quote Originally Posted by zaitcev View Post
    Ruger's hammer-fired system is unfortunately fraught with controversy, entirely of their own doing. Even to this day, their manual for LCP II calls for carrying the gun with chamber empty.
    Quote Originally Posted by TheNewbie View Post
    That trigger is stupid light. No thanks.

There is a reason I stick with my Gen 1 LCP for pocket carry. Very light triggers may have their place, but they are now showing up in too many places.
    I really enjoy the LCP as a "real" version of the original KT P3AT, but I have no use for the LCP II. Of anything you could say was wrong with the LCP, the trigger/hammer system was never anything that I saw a problem.
    Per the PF Code of Conduct, I have a commercial interest in the StreakTM product as sold by Ammo, Inc.

Currently by the ocean in CA and on the move to a more free state. Three more years!
    I have had a P-85, a P-90, and a P-97. I have never really been able to warm up to them, but can honestly say that none of those pistols ever jammed or malfunctioned. I was not shooting as much as I shoot now, but they just plain worked.

If the trigger really is in the 5lbs range, then I think Ruger might have found the sweet spot with all of the features that MAX-9 come standard with.

Being a lefty, I wish it had an ambi-safety.

I think I will keep an eye on this one and see how works out over time. I am pleased that competition in the subcompact game continues to grow. This is better for us all regardless of the manufacturer.

Overall I will give this one a tentative like.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by OlongJohnson View Post
    I actually liked the trigger on my LCP Custom. Hammer fired, DAO, and very smooth once the action was deburred so the gun wasn't filing itself when you pressed the trigger. I'd be down with something just like it but with the size and capacity of a P365XL.

Didn’t you have issues with your finger and the LCP? Or was that someone else?

Site Supporter
    Before I believed it had a 3.5 lb trigger, I would have to handle the pistol.

Nicely done Ruger. Keep pushing that rock forward with the efficiency of size and capacity. Consumers win in a challenged market.

Now that I've seen pictures and detailed drawings - what an immensely butt ugly pistol they've produced. Did anyone else notice the "hump nose" they've designed into the front of the slide so they can use a standard height front sight? I guess it's functional, but, FFS, Ruger, why not just a slightly taller front sight?

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by psalms144.1 View Post
    Now that I've seen pictures and detailed drawings - what an immensely butt ugly pistol they've produced.
    The profile reminds me of the first CCW pistol I bought new when I turned 21...

Grendel P12

I've never really been big on Ruger handguns, although I've owned both an LCP and LCPII in the recent past and they served their purpose as an inexpensive small handgun to keep in my dual-sport tankbag.

My parents are decently armed, but this past summer's events prodded them into buying a couple more full-size "bedroom" handguns...and being frugal, my dad was dead set on buying a pair of Ruger Security 9's. I gave the obligatory eyeroll and sneer, but any chance to put rounds through a gun isn't to be turned down...besides, I wanted to see how bad these things actually were.

I put about 700 rounds through each gun when they got them home, with zero issues. I was very surprised at how good the triggers were, not just for a hammer-fired gun, but even compared to my striker guns.

So then Christmas rolls around and I decided to buy both of my sons (17 and 20) each a Security 9 for their first handgun (last year was AR's for Christmas)...and they've both been 100% reliable.

Then a few months ago I decided I wanted to get something cheaper as a "knock-around" gun to carry in the woods, on the dual-sport, etc. (with current lack of inventory and elevated prices, I didn't want to have to have to try and replace a 320, VP9, P10, etc.). So with my recent experience, I bought another Security 9...and it's functioned just as reliably as the others.

It certainly isn't my go-to gun and I don't know how it will hold up to thousands of rounds...but it's a much better gun initially than I thought it would be.

edit to add: The triggers on the three S9's I own are @ 4lbs...I think one is 3lb.14oz., the others right at 4 or just over. I like the feel better than the ZEV trigger I have in my Glock, it's about even with my stock P10C, and edged out by the HBI triggger/Overwatch Prec. striker combo in my other P10C. They certainly don't feel too light for SD duty.

User Tag List