Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: "Mayberry" Gets a Wake-up Call

Quote Originally Posted by TOTS View Post
    @blues
    We were just in Brevard last Friday. Passing through letting the kids see the white squirrels on the way up to Bryson City to spend the weekend. We’ll be back in May. May need some restaurant recommendations. We go hiking to see the waterfalls each year.
    I go to Bryson every year or so to catch the Polar Express for my kid at Christmas (probably got 1 more visit before he ages out). I’ve eaten at Nate and Nicks, Everette St Diner, Loretta’s (lunch), Pasqulinos, and Anthony’s. They are all good.

FWIW, when the End of Days finally arrives, Bryson city and Pisgah (esp Sam’s Knob area) is where I plan to reside, find a girl the looks like Jennifer Gray, and launch raids against enemy convoys a la Red Dawn.
    I like my rifles like my women - short, light, fast, brown, and suppressed.

Quote Originally Posted by Sensei View Post
    I go to Bryson every year or so to catch the Polar Express for my kid at Christmas (probably got 1 more visit before he ages out). I’ve eaten at Nate and Nicks, Everette St Diner, Loretta’s (lunch), Pasqulinos, and Anthony’s. They are all good.

FWIW, when the End of Days finally arrives, Bryson city and Pisgah (esp Sam’s Knob area) is where I plan to reside, find a girl the looks like Jennifer Gray, and launch raids against enemy convoys a la Red Dawn.
    We used to go to Anthony's and Everett St. Diner when they were the only places to eat besides the Fryemont Inn and one other place the name of which I forget. This would be in the late 90's through very early 2000's before we moved up here.
    There's nothing civil about this war.

Site Supporter
    When I worked at Wake Forest we called it a “Positive Mt. Airy Sign” when someone drove 40 miles to Winston Salem high as a kite to get pain medicine for their back or dental pain...

It’s a beautiful area of the country, but damn - it’s got some obnoxious drug seekers.
    And allegedly one of the highest overdose rates in the US.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by deputyG23 View Post
    Winston-Salem was about forty miles from our farm and was the big place everyone from home went for shopping and advanced medical care. My aunt lived near the Country Club Road/Silas Creek Parkway area.
    We would pick her up and eat at the K&W Cafeteria on Knollwood Street.
    Great fried chicken.
    Wonderful memories.
    Quote Originally Posted by ccmdfd View Post
    The K&W that exploded?

I went to school in WS, eight plus years.

Actually lived in the country, near Pfafftown. But it was annexed quite some time ago.

Great years and time there.
    Quote Originally Posted by Moylan View Post
    I work in Winston. (Fortunately don't live in it anymore.) Here I am thinking, how did I miss hearing about K&W exploding? It's true, I don't follow the news, but still....

Just googled it. 1988. OK, I feel better. I didn't get here til early in the new millennium.
    I lived there from 2005-2010, off Peacehaven north of Country Club. I at at the K&W once or twice, but it was the one on Healy Drive. I didn't know anything about the older one or the explosion, or if I did know I'd forgotten about it. Overall, I really enjoyed my time in W-S. My wife and I had just married when we moved there, so that's where we set up house for the first time.

Site Supporter

Good recommendations; we ate at Nate and Nicks (very good pizza) and the Diner. Will try the rest next time!

Quote Originally Posted by deputyG23 View Post
    And allegedly one of the highest overdose rates in the US.
    That's a bad thing?
    We may lose and we may win, but we will never be here again.......

This thread is a perfect storm of thread drift.

Only a thread on P-F can meander from explosive devices placed in community churches in small town NC, to where to eat...if the establishment hasn't been blown up in another part of the state a few decades in the past.

P.S. I don't mind the drift at all...just commenting on the ride so far.

Carry on...and y'all come back, now.

Quote Originally Posted by blues View Post
    P.S. I don't mind the drift at all...just commenting on the ride so far.

Carry on...and y'all come back, now.
    And you just gave it a great jumping off point into the Beverly Hillbillies!

(sorry, I don't have any good stories related to them......)

User Tag List