Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: "Mayberry" Gets a Wake-up Call

Quote Originally Posted by deputyG23 View Post
    Winston-Salem was about forty miles from our farm and was the big place everyone from home went for shopping and advanced medical care. My aunt lived near the Country Club Road/Silas Creek Parkway area.
    We would pick her up and eat at the K&W Cafeteria on Knollwood Street.
    Great fried chicken.
    Wonderful memories.
    The K&W that exploded?

I went to school in WS, eight plus years.

Actually lived in the country, near Pfafftown. But it was annexed quite some time ago.

Great years and time there.

Yeah, that K&W was great. Until it blew up.

Quote Originally Posted by CWM11B View Post
    Yeah, that K&W was great. Until it blew up.
    That was a surreal day for me.

I was in the local volunteer fire department in the county. That morning the Pager went Off, they were calling all of the volunteer fire department in the county to send an Engine into the city with a crew to stand by at the fire department. Every single city fire truck was at the scene of the K and W.

A normal, even large fire at the time usually only had three or four departments being paged out at once. Listening to all 30 some fire department to get paged was weird. Kind of like a miniature version of what the fire department tapes from 9/11 sound like.

I work in Winston. (Fortunately don't live in it anymore.) Here I am thinking, how did I miss hearing about K&W exploding? It's true, I don't follow the news, but still....

Just googled it. 1988. OK, I feel better. I didn't get here til early in the new millennium.
    O judgment! Thou art fled to brutish beasts, And men have lost their reason.

Yup. Shook me out of bed. I lived pretty close as the crow flies. This town was a way different place back then. I'm eager to put it in my rearview. For good.

"Mayberry" Gets a Wake-up Call

https://www.transylvaniatimes.com/st...-nc/48569.html

“Terry Lee Barham, 64, of Brevard, has been charged with several felonies in connection with the incendiary devices that were found Sunday in downtown.”

Not much additional info.

The unmasked marauder...on the "Group W" bench.

Terry Lee Barham, 64, of Brevard, has been charged with several felonies in connection with the incendiary devices that were found Sunday in downtown.

Barham has been charged with possession of weapon of mass destruction, transportation of a weapon of mass destruction, manufacturing a weapon of mass destruction, malicious damage to a government building, attempted malicious damage to a government building, attempted malicious damage to a church, attempted malicious damage to an occupied building and three counts of terrorism, according to the Brevard Police Department press release. His bond was set at $280,000 secured and he is now in the Transylvania County jail.

Information linking Barham to the incendiary devices was developed through the collaborative investigative efforts of the Brevard Police Department, the Transylvania County Sheriff's Office, the NC State Bureau of Investigation, Department of Homeland Security, FBI and ATF, according to the release .

A search warrant for Barham's residence was served and additional evidence linking Barham to the incidents was located, the release said. Evidence included material used to make incendiary devices, such as those found at the First Baptist Church, the Transylvania County Community Services building, and the American Legion building.
    There's nothing civil about this war.

Site Supporter
    @blues
    We were just in Brevard last Friday. Passing through letting the kids see the white squirrels on the way up to Bryson City to spend the weekend. We’ll be back in May. May need some restaurant recommendations. We go hiking to see the waterfalls each year.

Quote Originally Posted by TOTS View Post
    @blues
    We were just in Brevard last Friday. Passing through letting the kids see the white squirrels on the way up to Bryson City to spend the weekend. We’ll be back in May. May need some restaurant recommendations. We go hiking to see the waterfalls each year.
    @TOTS

Bryson City is where I originally thought to move before discovering this area. We spent several years going up there to hike and motorcycle.

You may need to get restaurant advice elsewhere because I can barely remember the last time we went out for dinner, other than take-out.
    There's nothing civil about this war.

Quote Originally Posted by deputyG23 View Post
    I do. (From a Mount Airy aka Mayberry native).
    When I worked at Wake Forest we called it a “Positive Mt. Airy Sign” when someone drove 40 miles to Winston Salem high as a kite to get pain medicine for their back or dental pain...

It’s a beautiful area of the country, but damn - it’s got some obnoxious drug seekers.
    I like my rifles like my women - short, light, fast, brown, and suppressed.

User Tag List