Page 5 of 13 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: 4Runner

I'm glad to find this thread on PF. I've been looking at used GX460s for the last few months. Originally interested in the 4R, but I want a V8 and nice interior for cross country travel.

in respect to the GX460 vs 4Runner, we have both, a 2020 GX and a 21 TRD Pro.

The Lexus is smoother on road, noticeably more powerful, quieter, and has more comfortable seats. The V8 makes it nose heavy, and so it understeers noticeably in the snow.

The 4Runner is a much lighter-feeling vehicle, in all respects. It's noisy and rough.

Before our kids got bigger, I daily drove a GT3. Believe it or not, the TRD Pro evokes the same grin, but at much, much lower speed.

Glock Collective Assimile Suvorov's Avatar
    Escapee from the SF Bay Area now living on the Front Range of Colorado.
    Quote Originally Posted by Borderland View Post
    I think the skid plates on the TRD Pro are more robust than the SR5, but the SR5 does have a plate. So yeah, TRD Pro for anything off road.
    I really wouldn’t worry about the robustness of the SR5s plates and I would be spending money on sliders over fancy skid plates. The TRD Pro will however give the OP or anyone else the most capable stock off road truck by turning the key. That said the SR5 is more than capable for off road use and even without the locking rear diff - the ATRAC has handled anything I have thrown at it.

I don't know much about the 4runners, but I'll just add that I am VERY impressed with the Icon lift my buddy put on his 4runner. It is the only lifted vehicle I've driven that rides as good or better than stock.

Quote Originally Posted by Borderland View Post
    I think the skid plates on the TRD Pro are more robust than the SR5, but the SR5 does have a plate. So yeah, TRD Pro for anything off road.
    I think you might be surprised at just how gnarly things have to get before the SR5 can't keep up with the TRD.

Buddy of mine with a 4Runner talked me down from thinking I needed a locking diff for my '98 SR5 Tacoma when he went over the list of places he'd taken his 4Runner without ever bothering to lock the rear.

Don't get me wrong, the TRD goodies are super nice to have, but it takes some serious off-roading beyond what I would feel comfortable taking a newer vehicle though to be beyond what the basic SR5 4wd's are capable of.
    Last edited by NoTacTravis; 03-17-2021 at 02:51 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by NoTacTravis View Post
    I think you might be surprised at just how gnarly things have to get before the SR5 can't keep up with the TRD.

Buddy of mine with a 4Runner talked me down from thinking I need a locking diff for my '98 SR5 Tacoma when he went over the list of places he'd taken his 4Runner without ever bothering to lock the rear.

Don't get me wrong, the TRD goodies are super nice to have, but it takes some serious off-roading beyond what I would feel comfortable taking a newer vehicle though to be beyond what the basic SR5 4wd's are capable of.
    I hear that. Gravel logging roads with a few washouts is about my limit. I guess it depends on one's definition of "off-road". Lots of Baja trucks are 2WD.
    Last edited by Borderland; 03-17-2021 at 03:07 PM.
    In the P-F basket of deplorables.

I have a 2020 TRD ORP with KDSS. Changed the tires to Bridgestone KO2's right away and love them! Went with 265's (stock size) - no rubbing on any trail, not nearly as heavy as 285's and no lift needed. I would hold on the lift, unless you are really wanting it. I have had no need for it and have covered a lot a uneven ground! I installed CBI sliders with kickouts from CBI Offroad (https://cbioffroadfab.com). They bolt directly on and KDSS is not an issue during installation.

Those are the only mods I have made to the vehicle to date. I am considering adding additional skids, but don't want to add too much extra weight. Same story on adding new bumper and winch. The 4Runner is under-powered as it is.

On the trails I carry pretty standard recovery gear - snatch, straps, tree saver. I also carry a compressor and air-down kit. I use a portable VIAIR compressor, which was less than $100. Takes less than 10 minutes to air up back to standard pressure when I get off the trail.

I will say that as much as I like the 4Runner - and, I do - it does not have many modern conveniences. It is reliable and VERY OUT OF DATE! It is also VERY capable. It's only real competition is a Jeep Rubicon, which is also lacking a lot of modern stuff.

My hope is that the redesign of the Lexus GX (2023) will deliver a more modern interior and Apple CarPlay. If it does, I will trade the 4Runner and trick out the new Lexus with loads of goodies.

Modding this sack of shit BehindBlueI's's Avatar
    Would a '97 V6/5M be a good first vehicle? My son wants a stick shift and there's one for sale fairly locally on Craigslist. 211k miles. Anything in particular other than general used car stuff I should look for?
    Sorta around sometimes for some of your shitty mod needs.

Quote Originally Posted by BehindBlueI's View Post
    Would a '97 V6/5M be a good first vehicle? My son wants a stick shift and there's one for sale fairly locally on Craigslist. 211k miles. Anything in particular other than general used car stuff I should look for?
    I had a '97 4Runner. Great vehicle. On mine, the rear bumpers were rusting through and the bottom of the rear hatch was rusting. I had to get a van to haul all the kids and I sold it to a buddy. He's still driving it several years later. I haven't had a chance to get a close look to the rust lately. It had 150k miles when I sold it.

Modding this sack of shit BehindBlueI's's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by BN View Post
    I had a '97 4Runner. Great vehicle. On mine, the rear bumpers were rusting through and the bottom of the rear hatch was rusting. I had to get a van to haul all the kids and I sold it to a buddy. He's still driving it several years later. I haven't had a chance to get a close look to the rust lately. It had 150k miles when I sold it.
    The bumpers are rusted out from the photos, but bumpers for those are cheap enough. I'm more concerned with any mechanical issues I should be looking for. I can't go see it until the weekend, it may be sold by then but we'll see.
    Sorta around sometimes for some of your shitty mod needs.

User Tag List