Page 4 of 13 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: 4Runner

Nevermind

This thread is of interest to me. I'm 95% sure I'll be getting a 4runner for my next vehicle, once my credit card debt is paid down. Hopefully by end of this year.

I need to research this KDSS lean thing, I've never heard of it before now.

Does anyone here have experience with supercharging their 4runner? I believe I read one of the superchargers on the market even allows you to retain the Toyota warranty.

Quote Originally Posted by Suvorov View Post
    Quite a few of us driving 4Runners around here.
    My basic attitude towards overlanding/off-roading is the same as with buying an AR. Start with a good basic model, buy a couple basic accessories, and then get out there and use it! As you use it you will get an idea on what you need out of your rig and modify it to suit your needs. There is no “one size fits all” build out there. If you want to spend a lot of $$$, this certainly will be a money pit but you really don’t need to just to get out there and enjoy the joys of a 4Runner.

I live in an area where there is no shortage of awesome 4Runner and Wrangler builds running around. The funny thing is that about half of these rig have ZERO scratches in there clear coat. Basically they are the truck versions of the $5000 precision rifle builds, that never shoot past 100 yards.
    This is why I posted here first -- that is basically my (intended) approach with the caveat that COVID has given me what is probably a once-in-my-lifetime opportunity to spend 3-4 months on the road doing some overlanding and working remote. 20 years ago I wouldn't be in much of a rush, but I have the budget and the opportunity this year so I'd like to get a leg up on kitting out, within reason.

Quote Originally Posted by fixer View Post
    The KDSS system...research KDSS "lean" on T4R.org. You will save yourself a huge headache by following the recommendations for greasing the system when new. It looks like a 5 minute per side process and it saves you big time later on.

Not sure what your budget is, but I think the TRD Pro version may suit you better. It has decent to good tires, substantially better shocks and springs. If you are needing to upgrade to an ICON stage 2 or 3 then yeah save yourself the extra money. But if you want to go from dealer lot to adding gear, then the trd pro might be better.
    I figure the first year of a new model is not the best time to buy, but as I said above, I'm motivated to do it this year irrespective of models. Could you expand on the difference between TRD Pro and TRD Offroad Premium? Part of the reason for leaning to the latter was the availability of KDSS.
    Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves.

- William Pitt the Younger

Site Supporter
    I noticed considerably less pep between my old 06 Xterra and my 2018 4Runner, which is sluggish off the line. I think the engines have similar numbers for horsepower.

However, the 4Runner probably weighs quite a bit more with a much better ride quality. It's not sporty, but it is much smoother.

I have not noticed any leaning issues with my KDSS.
    Name:  1452_f.jpg
Views: 476
Size:  38.4 KB

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by 1911nerd View Post
    This is why I posted here first -- that is basically my (intended) approach with the caveat that COVID has given me what is probably a once-in-my-lifetime opportunity to spend 3-4 months on the road doing some overlanding and working remote. 20 years ago I wouldn't be in much of a rush, but I have the budget and the opportunity this year so I'd like to get a leg up on kitting out, within reason.

I figure the first year of a new model is not the best time to buy, but as I said above, I'm motivated to do it this year irrespective of models. Could you expand on the difference between TRD Pro and TRD Offroad Premium? Part of the reason for leaning to the latter was the availability of KDSS.
    Differences are fox shocks, different spring rates, at tires, and the cosmetic differences. Trd pro doesn’t have kdss.

Glock Collective Assimile Suvorov's Avatar
    Escapee from the SF Bay Area now living on the Front Range of Colorado.
    Quote Originally Posted by 1911nerd View Post

Honestly - any of the top level 4Runners are going to handle everything you mentioned. Even an SR5 with AT tires will do everything you are asking. If I was in your shoes and I was wanting the most capable 4Runner out there I'd just suck it up and buy a TRD Pro as it is the most off road capable of the models out there. With that rig, add a good basic recovery kit with boards, a couple rotopax fuel tanks, and some camping gear and you will will be good to go. If you want to add some armor start with sliders before worrying about bumpers or extra skid plates (the 4Runner already comes with skid plates).

Two years ago we intended to buy my wife a 4 Runner and we ended up with a Lexus GX460. They seem to depreciate a bit more than a 4Runner, have a V8, have the KDSS suspension, and have an interior from ~2012 rather than ~2002. I was resistant at first but having owned it for two years I'm glad we went this route. It rides/drives significantly better than a 4 Runner, seems to be better built, and the AWD system works very well. And given how how underpowered it seems I'm really glad we did not get the even less powerful 4 Runner.

Just another option. They are plentiful around where I live. Avoid the ones with the air suspension.

This is how my typical 4Runner ownership experience goes. Love the new color, which last time was Army Green, and previously was Cement or Quicksand. Curse about the underpowered engine and lousy gas mileage the whole time I have it. Never, ever break down. Sell it for almost what I paid for it some years later, when a new color comes out.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Coal Train View Post
    Two years ago we intended to buy my wife a 4 Runner and we ended up with a Lexus GX460. They seem to depreciate a bit more than a 4Runner, have a V8, have the KDSS suspension, and have an interior from ~2012 rather than ~2002. I was resistant at first but having owned it for two years I'm glad we went this route. It rides/drives significantly better than a 4 Runner, seems to be better built, and the AWD system works very well. And given how how underpowered it seems I'm really glad we did not get the even less powerful 4 Runner.

Just another option. They are plentiful around where I live. Avoid the ones with the air suspension.
    The GX460 and 5th Gen 4Runners are both built on the J150 Land Cruiser Prado 'platform' (not to be confused with a 'proper' 200 series Land Cruiser) and the big advantage to the GX460 is the 4.6L UR series V8 and 6spd auto. GX's tend to depreciate faster because of the 'soccer mom' image and Lexus tech packages getting updated more frequently and thoroughly than the 4Runner. Both are 100% made in Japan last I read, which IMHO is a good thing.

Personally I'm a big fan of the older GX's, I just wish the old infotainment screens weren't integrated into the climate controls, which makes it a PITA to update them or install a better stereo head unit, etc. Which is why I wish Toyota would just drop the V8 and 6spd auto into a more utilitarian-trimmed 4Runner for me to buy.

Quote Originally Posted by Suvorov View Post
    Honestly - any of the top level 4Runners are going to handle everything you mentioned. Even an SR5 with AT tires will do everything you are asking. If I was in your shoes and I was wanting the most capable 4Runner out there I'd just suck it up and buy a TRD Pro as it is the most off road capable of the models out there. With that rig, add a good basic recovery kit with boards, a couple rotopax fuel tanks, and some camping gear and you will will be good to go. If you want to add some armor start with sliders before worrying about bumpers or extra skid plates (the 4Runner already comes with skid plates).
    I think the skid plates on the TRD Pro are more robust than the SR5, but the SR5 does have a plate. So yeah, TRD Pro for anything off road.
    In the P-F basket of deplorables.

User Tag List