Page 8 of 13 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast

Thread: 4Runner

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Hieronymous View Post
    So I've been in the market for a new SUV (bought some property and need to cross a spring fed creek that averages 1.5 feet deep) and I thought the TRD Pro would be a good "buy once cry once" all around option for me. I'm planning on using to car camp with the family on the property and want to get a batwing awning. Locating a TRD Pro that is not pre-sold has been difficult, but I tracked one down in central Missouri in Lunar Rock.

I anticipated the price would be non-negotiable and at MSRP. The unit I located is $52,685.00 MSRP but the dealer is selling for $57, 683.00 Is this mark up in line with what you guys are familiar with? I don't know if Lexus is selling their GX at sticker or above, but if at or below sticker, perhaps this could be a route to consider?

Side note: I will be buying a side by side and towing it to my property. I know the TRD Pro is V6 vs the GX's V8, but do you guys have any advice on the towing issue? TRD Pro tow capacity is like 5 thousand GX460 is 6500? Seems for my needs a TRD Pro or 4-Runner in general is plenty?

Thanks, as always for the feedback.
    Totally a seller's market for the TRD Pro 4Runners/Tacos/Tundras these days, so a $5k markup is about normal. I'd personally eyeball, sit in, test drive, etc both the GX and 4R before making a decision, as either will do exactly what you're looking for. The markup from MSRP washes away a lot of the strong-resale benefit of the 4Runner, so ultimately I'd just pick the one of those two you like more.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Borderland View Post
    I live in an area where there is no shortage of awesome 4Runner and Wrangler builds running around. The funny thing is that about half of these rig have ZERO scratches in there clear coat. Basically they are the truck versions of the $5000 precision rifle builds, that never shoot past 100 yards.
    There's emblems for said rides

Name:  mallrated4x4.jpg
Views: 387
Size:  73.4 KB
    "There are two ways to do most anything- right and again."

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by mark7 View Post
    There's emblems for said rides

Name:  mallrated4x4.jpg
Views: 387
Size:  73.4 KB
    Please tell me that's a thing that can be purchased. I WILL put one on my 4Runner if so.

...and send one to my manager in Scotland who bought a 4x4 Jeep last Summer and hasn't had it properly offroad yet. I routinely tease him about his "mallcrawler" while sending pics, like the ones above, of my 4Runner.

Chris

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by mtnbkr View Post
    Please tell me that's a thing that can be purchased. I WILL put one on my 4Runner if so.

...and send one to my manager in Scotland who bought a 4x4 Jeep last Summer and hasn't had it properly offroad yet. I routinely tease him about his "mallcrawler" while sending pics, like the ones above, of my 4Runner.

Chris

Only 1 left:

https://www.etsy.com/listing/8020362...vjxJkCEvu502mw
    "There are two ways to do most anything- right and again."

Anyone have experience with the 4th gen V6 and superchargers? I don't currently have a 4runner, but am considering options. I've been looking specifically at an '06-09 due to the updates/facelift and upgraded 1GR engine (268hp vs. previous 245hp). There are a few SC kits on the market that can bump that up to 350WHP+, which seems decent to me.
    Administrator for PatRogers.org

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Sig_Fiend View Post
    Anyone have experience with the 4th gen V6 and superchargers? I don't currently have a 4runner, but am considering options. I've been looking specifically at an '06-09 due to the updates/facelift and upgraded 1GR engine (268hp vs. previous 245hp). There are a few SC kits on the market that can bump that up to 350WHP+, which seems decent to me.
    I know Magnuson offers a 1GR-FE SC kit for the Tacos and FJ's of that generation and the later 2010+ 4Runners, don't know if it's reverse compatible with a 4th gen. I can't speak to how well those ECU's play with boost but I do know that there are no really effective software hacks to properly remap them.

Some folks have offered options for various modern Toyota's that either plug into the OBD-II port permanently to play games with closed-loop fuel and spark trims for better performance, and others still that are straight up old school hex editing that can change a few things but don't offer nearly the flexibility or true control over.
    The Bully Dog tuner does this and it works 'okay' but isn't my favorite method for this sort of thing by far. It's basically playing 1980's coding games in a modern PCM. Also, most of the dyno results I've ever seen show the Maggie-SC equipped 1GR's making around 275-300whp, not 350+. Again, like most any aftermarket forced induction option premium fuel will be a 100% ironclad requirement.

Personally I'd just seek out an 06-09 V8 4wd model, which has the ~300hp VVTi 4.7L V8 that is basically indestructible and runs forever on regular 86 octane. If you really need more power than that, a 4Runner probably isn't the right vehicle.

Quote Originally Posted by JRB View Post
    I know Magnuson offers a 1GR-FE SC kit for the Tacos and FJ's of that generation and the later 2010+ 4Runners, don't know if it's reverse compatible with a 4th gen. I can't speak to how well those ECU's play with boost but I do know that there are no really effective software hacks to properly remap them.

Some folks have offered options for various modern Toyota's that either plug into the OBD-II port permanently to play games with closed-loop fuel and spark trims for better performance, and others still that are straight up old school hex editing that can change a few things but don't offer nearly the flexibility or true control over.
    The Bully Dog tuner does this and it works 'okay' but isn't my favorite method for this sort of thing by far. It's basically playing 1980's coding games in a modern PCM. Also, most of the dyno results I've ever seen show the Maggie-SC equipped 1GR's making around 275-300whp, not 350+. Again, like most any aftermarket forced induction option premium fuel will be a 100% ironclad requirement.

Personally I'd just seek out an 06-09 V8 4wd model, which has the ~300hp VVTi 4.7L V8 that is basically indestructible and runs forever on regular 86 octane. If you really need more power than that, a 4Runner probably isn't the right vehicle.
    Yeah, not a fan of "piggyback" style tuning. Maybe I should just do what I really want and go with a manual 3rd gen and do an LS swap. I'm weird and like out of the ordinary stuff. Definitely not the type to just "buy the newest thing".

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Sig_Fiend View Post
    Yeah, not a fan of "piggyback" style tuning. Maybe I should just do what I really want and go with a manual 3rd gen and do an LS swap. I'm weird and like out of the ordinary stuff. Definitely not the type to just "buy the newest thing".
    My very favorite overland rig ever - A triple-locked 80 Series Land Cruiser with an Escalade's LQ9/4L80E swapped in. Had an Australian-sourced adapter plate to bolt the 4L80E to the factory Toyota transfer case. T case was set up with some 60 series bits and manual hubs to get rid of the full time 4WD.
    Made ~360whp/400tq after some mild bolt ons and tuning on 86 octane using HPTuners to remap an original GM PCM, and all the accessories and features were painstakingly integrated so it had cold A/C, all working gauges, everything. Got 20mpg highway with the cruise set at 80mph, which is astonishing for those 80 series.

If you're going to embark on a swap like that, may as well go for gold.

My second favorite was a Lexus 4.0L 1UZ-FE V8 swapped into a 1st gen 4Runner. Had an R151F and transfer case from a '93ish 4R along with a solid axle swap up front and an 8in rear axle from a later Tacoma.

Quote Originally Posted by JRB View Post
    My very favorite overland rig ever - A triple-locked 80 Series Land Cruiser with an Escalade's LQ9/4L80E swapped in. Had an Australian-sourced adapter plate to bolt the 4L80E to the factory Toyota transfer case. T case was set up with some 60 series bits and manual hubs to get rid of the full time 4WD.
    Made ~360whp/400tq after some mild bolt ons and tuning on 86 octane using HPTuners to remap an original GM PCM, and all the accessories and features were painstakingly integrated so it had cold A/C, all working gauges, everything. Got 20mpg highway with the cruise set at 80mph, which is astonishing for those 80 series.

If you're going to embark on a swap like that, may as well go for gold.

My second favorite was a Lexus 4.0L 1UZ-FE V8 swapped into a 1st gen 4Runner. Had an R151F and transfer case from a '93ish 4R along with a solid axle swap up front and an 8in rear axle from a later Tacoma.
    So... kind of already part way there. LOL I have an FJ80 I'm daily driving currently, and have also been thinking about doing a manual swap + LS with it as well.

Name:  img_eggsif_4548258913502905608_tn.jpg
Views: 297
Size:  88.8 KB

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by mark7 View Post
    Saw that, but found a more reasonable one at a jeep parts site. It's more of a sticker, but three dimensional and only $5/pair. Unfortunately for me, it has actual jeeps on it. I bought a pair of Wrangler ones for my manager and a quad set of Grand Cherokee ones for me and my buddy who rocks a Land Rover. I figure the GC is close enough.

$15 for 6 shipped. Now I just need to get the Wrangler set over to Scotland.

Chris

User Tag List