Page 12 of 13 FirstFirst ... 210111213 LastLast

Thread: 4Runner

Quote Originally Posted by 0ddl0t View Post
    See if your local dealership rents 4runners: https://www.toyota.com/rental/index.html
    Thanks for the idea!! I actually had looked into that a little while ago, but none of them were offering it at the time cuz they needed to sell everything they could due to the pandemic. I will check into it again soon though

I bought my 2020 TRD Off-Road Premium with KDSS in March of last year, right before the pandemic shut everything down. Since then, I've clocked just over 52k miles on it; it remains almost entirely stock, though I do plan to start investing more into modding it out in this coming year. I personally have minimal complaints on it, outside of the ridiculous hood scoop that is completely cosmetic and causes unnecessary glare at times and the rather dumb adaptive cruise control that is extremely aggressive at trying to stay at speed (which means that it burns a lot of gas more or less flooring it to get up to speed, and also stays at speed way too long when there's a vehicle ahead and ends up braking rather aggressively). I have not had any issues with the truck thus far that weren't caused by someone/something outside the factory.

Coming from a nicer 2013 Honda Accord, the gas mileage and some of the creature features were lacking on the 4runner, but nothing too drastic (climate control, blind spot cameras, adaptive backing camera, etc.). The handling is obviously not as great, but I don't find it noticeably bad. I've done plenty of >12 hour drives, and honestly find the 4runner more comfortable for extended drives than the Accord, simply due to the roomier interior. I don't miss the lack of automated driving outside of the adaptive cruise control, but I suspect that is largely due to my complete lack of exposure to it.
    Last edited by Default.mp3; 12-20-2021 at 11:22 PM.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Default.mp3 View Post
    I bought my 2020 TRD Off-Road Premium with KDSS in March of last year, right before the pandemic shut everything down. Since then, I've clocked just over 52k miles on it; it remains almost entirely stock, though I do plan to start investing more into modding it out in this coming year. I personally have minimal complaints on it, outside of the ridiculous hood scoop that is completely cosmetic and causes unnecessary glare at times and the rather dumb adaptive cruise control that is extremely aggressive at trying to stay at speed (which means that it burns a lot of gas more or less flooring it to get up to speed, and also stays at speed way too long when there's a vehicle ahead and ends up braking rather aggressively). I have not had any issues with the truck thus far that weren't caused by someone/something outside the factory.

Coming from a nicer 2013 Honda Accord, the gas mileage and some of the creature features were lacking on the 4runner, but nothing too drastic (climate control, blind spot cameras, adaptive backing camera, etc.). The handling is obviously not as great, but I don't find it noticeably bad. I've done plenty of >12 hour drives, and honestly find the 4runner more comfortable for extended drives than the Accord, simply due to the roomier interior. I don't miss the lack of automated driving outside of the adaptive cruise control, but I suspect that is largely due to my complete lack of exposure to it.
    The first time I rented a car with adaptive cruise control, I thought it was broken - for sure, that there was something wrong with it.

Still don't own one, and not looking forward to the possibility that I won't be able to get one without it in the future.

Quote Originally Posted by Duelist View Post
    The first time I rented a car with adaptive cruise control, I thought it was broken - for sure, that there was something wrong with it.

Still don't own one, and not looking forward to the possibility that I won't be able to get one without it in the future.
    I think adaptive cruise control makes longer trips much easier, and rather like the feature. The 4runner also allows you to turn off the adaptive part, and just pin it as normal/dumb cruise control, and I believe many other vehicles offer this option, too. I'm just kinda irked at how aggressive the 4runner's profile is on the adaptive cruise control.

I had the impression I was the only person that dislikes adaptive cruise control, nice to see I'm not alone. That being said, I love regular cruise control. Is there a way to use cruise control on the 2020 or newer without it doing the adaptive thing?

ETA: default addressed that while I was typing

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Balisong View Post
    I had the impression I was the only person that dislikes adaptive cruise control, nice to see I'm not alone. That being said, I love regular cruise control. Is there a way to use cruise control on the 2020 or newer without it doing the adaptive thing?

ETA: default addressed that while I was typing
    I pretty much hated it. When I set a cruise control, I want it to stay on that speed. I'm driving the car, not the freaking computer. If I want or need to change the speed, I want to have to do it, not the computer - I prefer the concept of staying engaged with the car and driving it, not riding in it.

Yeah, I prefer driving a manual transmission, too.

I don't have a lawn. Stay off my rocks.

Quote Originally Posted by Duelist View Post
    I pretty much hated it. When I set a cruise control, I want it to stay on that speed. I'm driving the car, not the freaking computer. If I want or need to change the speed, I want to have to do it, not the computer - I prefer the concept of staying engaged with the car and driving it, not riding in it.

Yeah, I prefer driving a manual transmission, too.

I don't have a lawn. Stay off my rocks.
    Haha I hear you. I think what I hate most about it is being behind someone using it and their brake lights keep lighting up. For a long time I thought it was an epidemic of people riding their brakes. Several years later learned it was an adaptive cruise control thing.

Quote Originally Posted by Default.mp3 View Post
    I think adaptive cruise control makes longer trips much easier, and rather like the feature. The 4runner also allows you to turn off the adaptive part, and just pin it as normal/dumb cruise control, and I believe many other vehicles offer this option, too. I'm just kinda irked at how aggressive the 4runner's profile is on the adaptive cruise control.
    Driving in Montana, with an 80 speed limit, the 21 4Runner we have, has an awful time with the transmission holding speed. It is constantly shifting between the two top gears. Needs a better transmission and more power. Of course the 4Runner appreciates more than most stocks.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

Quote Originally Posted by LittleLebowski View Post
    I rented a 2021 V6 SR5 for a long drive from Wyoming to Colorado. It had 17k miles on it. Rode like a boat, the kids in the back got sick. The profile of the hood made it harder to park than my F150. Not much power stock. The seat headrests aren’t adjustable and I really need that for my headache and neck pain. Features weren’t great. I’m glad it’s reliable, because it doesn’t have much else going for it. My family hated it and they are pretty unbiased.

I’m sure the next model when and if they redesign it and slap in that twin turbo motor, will be better. It damn sure needs an update and more power.
    I have an older 4th gen 4runner, but I think this applies to 5th gen as well; the reason to buy a 4runner is if you want an SUV with a real truck frame and a push-button torsen locking center differential. This versatile multi-mode 4wd system is pretty darn nice if you actually need/use it. If you don't care about/need it get something else for sure. I couldn't imagine buying a 4runner without need for this feature.

These things don't belong on the pavement except to travel to remote locations or in low traction environments. They are more comfortable on the highway and hold more cargo than a jeep in this regard. That is the only utility I see in the 4runners. I use mine as an overland camper and for towing trailer loads of firewood out of remote logging sites. In winter it can run full time in open center differential 4wd mode on pavement at highway speeds or when driving in town on patchy bare pavement without binding. I'm closing in on 1/4 million miles on mine. It rides like a stupid fat pig, but it doesn't get stuck or bottom out easy.

It reminds me of this meme...
    Name:  glok.jpg
Views: 250
Size:  34.3 KB

The SR5 2wd base sucks compared to the 4WD models. They are under dampened and the 17" tires have too much sidewall flex. Switching to a better tire firms up the ride considerably, but the 4wd suspension really is what brings the truck around.

A body-on-frame, 6-cylinder, 4x4, Toyota SUV is kind of like an HK USP.

No, it doesn't have all the latest features, some of the 'features' are downright archaic. Technology? Eh. Ergonomics? Eh. Comfort? Eh. Ease of Maintenance? Yes. Reliability if regularly maintained? Like gravity, death, and taxes. Reliability if "eh" maintained? Still longer than most anything else ever made.

It has it's quirks. But you overlook them, because you don't have to think about anything besides care and feeding.

User Tag List