Page 11 of 13 FirstFirst ... 910111213 LastLast

Thread: 4Runner

My other thoughts here would be that the dealer has to make money on both your trade and the new vehicle. If they can't they won't trade. Normally I won't waste my time with a trade because I can generally sell it myself for at least 10% more than a dealer can give me. The last time I traded a vehicle with a dealer was 1978. I think people trade because they don't like dealing with the unwashed masses to sell a vehicle, certainly not for everyone. There's a sea of perspective buyers out there that absolutely won't buy a used vehicle from a dealer.

But in favor of a trade, there is less sales tax to be paid on the purchase. In this state the tax is almost 10% so depending on the vehicle sales price it could be thousands of dollars.

These are very strange times to be shopping for vehicles. The sales people pounce on anyone with a newer vehicle wanting to work a trade. Happened to me about a month ago. They were waiting for me when I drove on the lot. Probably going through the service records and appointment times.
    In the P-F basket of deplorables.

Quote Originally Posted by Borderland View Post
    These are very strange times to be shopping for vehicles.
    This cannot be overemphasized. Last month an individual with no insurance managed to hit the back AND front of my wife's SUV while she was sitting in a left turn lane. The paid off, immaculate, nearly-new car was totaled. We had to find a replacement and to replace it with something similar to what we had was going to be a minimum of $10,000 more than we paid ~2 years ago and those vehicles were in worse condition. It was not a pleasant or inexpensive experience.

If you don't need to purchase a vehicle right now I would recommend not doing so.

Frankly, almost every asset class is overvalued today, from cars to real estate to guns and ammo. If possible, I would want to be selling most everything today, and not buying. There will be a correction, the only questions are when and how much.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

Yeah, so call me notso sharp. Went to the dealer, somehow I missed the $7000 dealer markup. I laughed. I walked out.
    "Government is not reason, it is not eloquence, it is force; like fire, a troublesome servant and a fearful master"

Quote Originally Posted by Trigger View Post
    Yeah, so call me notso sharp. Went to the dealer, somehow I missed the $7000 dealer markup. I laughed. I walked out.
    I knew there had to be some catch. They were trolling. At some point they may actually land a fair sized tuna. Some people can't do math.
    In the P-F basket of deplorables.

Quote Originally Posted by Borderland View Post
    Some people can't do math.
    Math is racist.
    There's nothing civil about this war.

Well, the saga continues. I walked out of the dealership, then called a bunch in the state, and visited another locally. Some had TRD Pros inbound, some did not. A few charge list price, more have “market adjustments” to push the price up. I dangled what I was interested in, and what I was willing to pay, I’ll find out which dealerships come back with trucks available.

The original dealership then called back and said they might be able to be work on their price some more. The dance continues. I’m betting another buyer pays their price before they drop down to my level.

On a related note, some of the financial news sites are discussing the intersection of interest rates, automobile (display processor chips)/house/appliance buying demand, and inflation effects on consumer buying. I’m betting the end of this price inversion/opportunity is near. Demand to buy cars will fall as buyers become more risk adverse due to inflation. Loan rates will start to rise due to Fed policy. Supply chain woes will heal and the reservoir of cars/trucks will refill. My trade-in value will fall to previous levels.

I’m betting that the change in consumer perception of long term inflation is starting. Buying habits are changing. Since the Fed has painted itself into a corner with money supply and interest rates, I don’t see this ending soon or without pain.
    "Government is not reason, it is not eloquence, it is force; like fire, a troublesome servant and a fearful master"

I rented a 2021 V6 SR5 for a long drive from Wyoming to Colorado. It had 17k miles on it. Rode like a boat, the kids in the back got sick. The profile of the hood made it harder to park than my F150. Not much power stock. The seat headrests aren’t adjustable and I really need that for my headache and neck pain. Features weren’t great. I’m glad it’s reliable, because it doesn’t have much else going for it. My family hated it and they are pretty unbiased.

I’m sure the next model when and if they redesign it and slap in that twin turbo motor, will be better. It damn sure needs an update and more power.
    #RESIST

Quote Originally Posted by LittleLebowski View Post
    I rented a 2021 V6 SR5 for a long drive from Wyoming to Colorado. It had 17k miles on it. Rode like a boat, the kids in the back got sick. The profile of the hood made it harder to park than my F150. Not much power stock. The seat headrests aren’t adjustable and I really need that for my headache and neck pain. Features weren’t great. I’m glad it’s reliable, because it doesn’t have much else going for it. My family hated it and they are pretty unbiased.

I’m sure the next model when and if they redesign it and slap in that twin turbo motor, will be better. It damn sure needs an update and more power.
    Interesting, I wonder how much of a difference in the handling characteristics a suspension upgrade would make. I'm still pretty sure I want a 4runner, but it would be an offroad premium and would shortly get a suspension upgrade. I wish I could drive one a bit more 1st though. I test drove a couple Off-road Premiums several years ago, one with KDSS and one without.. They seemed ok but they were pretty short test drives. Obviously a suspension wouldn't fix your other complaints though.

I REALLY liked the Ram Rebel I test drove, and that experience still invades my thoughts. But I keep coming back to the 4runner supposed reliability, ease of truck camping inside it, and offroad capabilities.....

Quote Originally Posted by Balisong View Post
    Interesting, I wonder how much of a difference in the handling characteristics a suspension upgrade would make. I'm still pretty sure I want a 4runner, but it would be an offroad premium and would shortly get a suspension upgrade. I wish I could drive one a bit more 1st though. I test drove a couple Off-road Premiums several years ago, one with KDSS and one without.. They seemed ok but they were pretty short test drives. Obviously a suspension wouldn't fix your other complaints though.

I REALLY liked the Ram Rebel I test drove, and that experience still invades my thoughts. But I keep coming back to the 4runner supposed reliability, ease of truck camping inside it, and offroad capabilities.....
    See if your local dealership rents 4runners: https://www.toyota.com/rental/index.html

User Tag List