Page 13 of 13 FirstFirst ... 3111213

Thread: 4Runner

Modding this sack of shit BehindBlueI's's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Balisong View Post
    Interesting, I wonder how much of a difference in the handling characteristics a suspension upgrade would make. I'm still pretty sure I want a 4runner, but it would be an offroad premium and would shortly get a suspension upgrade. I wish I could drive one a bit more 1st though. I test drove a couple Off-road Premiums several years ago, one with KDSS and one without.. They seemed ok but they were pretty short test drives. Obviously a suspension wouldn't fix your other complaints though.

I REALLY liked the Ram Rebel I test drove, and that experience still invades my thoughts. But I keep coming back to the 4runner supposed reliability, ease of truck camping inside it, and offroad capabilities.....
    No other truck or truck-based SUV will ride as well as the RAM. The 'enthusiasts' poo-poo'd the coil rear suspension when it was launched as too soft to tow and do 'real truck stuff'. They have since been proven incredibly wrong. The coils vs leaf rear makes so much difference, it's a truly car like ride even when empty. It rides at least as well as a luxury cars did 15 years ago, and the cabin is *quiet*. Very little wind noise if you don't have tow mirrors, even at 80mph+

Mine has been very reliable, although that's not universal of course. The 8 speed transmission (mine was one of the last years for the 6) has been very reliable. The V6 is dead nuts reliable and the hemi is pretty solid *if you follow the lubrication schedule*. This is not a motor for 3rd world maintenance routines or experimenting with just-as-good-as oils unless you want to buy a ticket for the 'will it eat a cam shaft' lottery.

Mine is an "Express", which has the 5.7 hemi and 3.92 gears. Power is not a concern. There is no gear hunting, etc. Some people complain about the 8 speed hunting on hills with a heavier trailer, though.

If you plan to keep it 10y+ I would opt for no air suspension. That's a time bomb as I mentioned earlier. It's an expensive way to get a few inches of ground clearance.
    Sorta around sometimes for some of your shitty mod needs.

Site Supporter
    Hmm.
    25yo 3rd Gen 4Runner
    Manual transmission and transfer case
    218k miles
    Sits for weeks or months at a time without being started, but fires up immediately when the battery is connected and I turn the key.
    Has mowed down one deer and continued on its trip
    The kids prefer riding in it rather than my more "modern" Focus Hatchback

At the rate I drive anymore, it may return to DD status if the Focus dies (9yo and 80k miles, hopefully not for a while). It's a bit weak power-wise on the highway, but it was when it had 60k miles. The 3.4L engine is just a weak pig, but it doesn't stop. It's mainly my camping/overlanding vehicle now. It gets to live out it's semi-retirement years in the garage to keep the squirrels away from the wiring and to keep frame rust to a minimum (one of my yearly tasks is rust remediation).

Here she be at a camping trip last Spring up on Flagpole Knob near Harrisonburg, VA:
    Name:  IMG_20200919_105812952_HDR.jpg
Views: 505
Size:  99.4 KB

Chris

I took advantage of the trade in frenzy and ordered a ‘21 SR5 over the summer. Took about 4 months to get it. It came with a few upgrades that aren’t typical on the SR5. Push button start, premium sound, LED lights. I have 5k miles on it and I love it. Traded a TRD off-road Tacoma for it and coming from that the 4Runner is much better at going down the road with out sacrificing any off-road capability. It needs a tire and suspension upgrade but that’ll wait until next year. It also comes with a dealer lifetime powertrain warranty. If it touches grease or oil it’s covered. Pretty hard to beat. I’m really happy I made the switch.
    “If you know the way broadly you will see it in everything." - Miyamoto Musashi

I gotta be one dumb ignorant mofo. I don't notice any of those things. I wouldn't know the difference between a deuce and a half and a Lincoln TownCar. I just get in and drive. Maybe it has to do with spending 20+ years around cars. At one point they all just blur together. I've driven just about everything from model T to a Mac tool truck (UPS Truck). The only thing I didn't sit behind the wheel is a CDL truck. But sports cars, exotics, off roaders, classics, motorcycles, cop cars, luxury cars ...etc... drove them all. Now I just get steer the thing towards my destination. The only time I know a good suspension from a bad one is when shocks go bad wheels go BOOM in each pothole.

My 4Runner is an everyday car. I don't technically need the 4wd. It rarely snows a lot and even in bad winters I've never gotten stuck with fwd sub compacts. However, overall the car fit what I was looking for. The only thing I ask is for the radio to work. Doesn't even have to be a CD player, or have power windows or carpeting.. just a steering wheel, seat and radio. I'd be in for a new old stock military Chevy Blazer as a daily vehicle

Sent from my moto z4 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by BehindBlueI's View Post
    No other truck or truck-based SUV will ride as well as the RAM. The 'enthusiasts' poo-poo'd the coil rear suspension when it was launched as too soft to tow and do 'real truck stuff'. They have since been proven incredibly wrong. The coils vs leaf rear makes so much difference, it's a truly car like ride even when empty. It rides at least as well as a luxury cars did 15 years ago, and the cabin is *quiet*. Very little wind noise if you don't have tow mirrors, even at 80mph+

Mine has been very reliable, although that's not universal of course. The 8 speed transmission (mine was one of the last years for the 6) has been very reliable. The V6 is dead nuts reliable and the hemi is pretty solid *if you follow the lubrication schedule*. This is not a motor for 3rd world maintenance routines or experimenting with just-as-good-as oils unless you want to buy a ticket for the 'will it eat a cam shaft' lottery.

Mine is an "Express", which has the 5.7 hemi and 3.92 gears. Power is not a concern. There is no gear hunting, etc. Some people complain about the 8 speed hunting on hills with a heavier trailer, though.

If you plan to keep it 10y+ I would opt for no air suspension. That's a time bomb as I mentioned earlier. It's an expensive way to get a few inches of ground clearance.
    I appreciate your input, thank you. I test drove the Rebel the same day we test drove a new Lincoln Aviator my gf was considering. We were both amazed that the Rebel was even more luxurious and smooth riding than the Lincoln! If I do get a Rebel it would be like the one I test drove, the hemi without eTorque and no airbag suspension.

Today I test drove a 4runner because its been several years since I have. Obviously pickings are slim so it ended up being a used 2018 SR5 instead of an offroad premium (the trim I want if I get one). I don't know the on-road handling differences between the two, but I still liked it overall. EXCEPT I could not get my back comfortable. I adjusted the lumbar all the way minimized but still seemed to be uncomfortable pressure on my back. I don't remember that from before and don't know if it was due to being used, or if the ORP has better seats or what (few years ago it was an ORP that I test drove). But it was bad enough to be a deal breaker if thats the norm. I need to find another one to test drive.

So update on my 4Runner adventure. I have a 2018 Off-Road Premium, and I’m looking to trade it in on a TRD Pro. The dealers here in SE VA are very unwilling to negotiate.

1st dealer. I’ve had one sales manager tell me I can’t order a new TRD Pro. Period. They get one in allocation, and then they effectively have a bidding war. I went to the dealer because I was told I could order one. The manager said other wise and the made deflections and excuses. $10k markup. This is where I bought my current 4Runner. Result: lost customer for life. I will never shop there again.

2nd dealer. Willing to take a deposit. Can’t say when they will be able to order, and when it might be in production. Oh, and a $10k markup. Plus a lowball $34k trade-in. I was offered $40k a few months ago.

3rd dealer. Willing to take a deposit. $5k markup. Plus they bundle mandatory “underbody and paint treatment” and pinstriping for another $2800. Lots of included fees which add up to an effective $10k markup.

Since it is such a sellers market, I will not be buying a new 4Runner until something changes. Hell, I’m even keeping my kids high school beater-car around in case one of our cars dies. That way I’m not forced to buy in this bizarre market.
    "Government is not reason, it is not eloquence, it is force; like fire, a troublesome servant and a fearful master"

Glock Collective Assimile Suvorov's Avatar
    Escapee from the SF Bay Area now living on the Front Range of Colorado.
    Quote Originally Posted by Trigger View Post

Since it is such a sellers market, I will not be buying a new 4Runner until something changes. Hell, I’m even keeping my kids high school beater-car around in case one of our cars dies. That way I’m not forced to buy in this bizarre market.
    I think that is a solid plan. That is my current plan with my 4th Gen as much as I would love a new one. Barring an unforeseen accident or body rust (which really isn’t an issue on your Gen), 4Runners don’t really die and you’re kids will be able to drive the wheels off it.

So update on my 4Runner adventure. I have a 2018 Off-Road Premium, and I’m looking to trade it in on a TRD Pro. The dealers here in SE VA are very unwilling to negotiate.

1st dealer. I’ve had one sales manager tell me I can’t order a new TRD Pro. Period. They get one in allocation, and then they effectively have a bidding war. I went to the dealer because I was told I could order one. The manager said other wise and the made deflections and excuses. $10k markup. This is where I bought my current 4Runner. Result: lost customer for life. I will never shop there again.

2nd dealer. Willing to take a deposit. Can’t say when they will be able to order, and when it might be in production. Oh, and a $10k markup. Plus a lowball $34k trade-in. I was offered $40k a few months ago.

3rd dealer. Willing to take a deposit. $5k markup. Plus they bundle mandatory “underbody and paint treatment” and pinstriping for another $2800. Lots of included fees which add up to an effective $10k markup.

I HATE when they start with the mandatory crap. At first I ask them to take that off, I'm not interested in pinstripes and whatever else. I make sure to make it clear as day....so there aren't any misunderstandings....that this is a deal breaker. If you can't take it off I walk! Period!

My mom is going to need a new car by Halloween time so I'm keeping an eye out but I'm not expecting much

Sent from my moto z4 using Tapatalk

I’m looking at the new Tundras and was just in our dealership (McGeorge Toyota, Richmond VA) last week. I’ve used the same sales guy since 2007 and they’ve never been pushy, etc. He said I could get on a list and when a Limited Off Road is on their next allotment we could at least try to get the color I want. It sounds like the factory is shipping whatever configuration of the SR5, Limited, etc they want and you get what you get. Typical of Toyota over the years. Doesn’t seem to be a problem for the factory as that dealer has a list of folks who’ve already put deposits and are waiting on vehicles. At least its refundable if you don’t want the truck, etc. since they just move on to the next person waiting. FWIW McGeorge doesn’t do markups, etc. that I’m aware of.

That said, I’ve had a good experience with my 19 Rubicon and am seriously considering a Rebel or Power Wagon.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by vaspence View Post
    McGeorge Toyota, Richmond VA
    Huh. I buy parts from them. I can get stuff shipped from them cheaper and almost quicker than I can get locally.

Chris

User Tag List