Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Holsters: Heresy? Maybe...

Holsters: Heresy? Maybe...

Let me preface this by saying that I own, wear and enjoy holsters by DSG, JMCK, Mastermind, and previously, Tenicor.

That said...after daily usage over a period of several years, (decades, actually), I've come to the conclusion that for me personally, the best overall holster belt attachment for a combination of comfort, concealment, security and convenience...(after trying various metal and polymer clips, hooks, Pull-the-Dot, DCC, Monoblock et al)...the one that I grab 9 times out of 10 is the simple but effective clip as pictured on the DSG Orions below:

Name:  orion 1.jpg
Views: 839
Size:  48.5 KB

Is it perfect? No. Since it is a 1 3/4" clip and I wear a 1.5" belt it does allow for a small amount of movement on the belt...preferred by some, shunned by others.

However, I have come to the realization that while not the flavor of the week, or heralded far and wide online or in the print media, it just simply works.

It's easy to don and remove. It stays on the belt. It doesn't print like PTDs. It isn't finicky to install or remove or realign like some DCCs I have tried etc etc.

So, there it is. Sue me!

(I guess I am old school after all.)
    There's nothing civil about this war.

I pretty much agree with you brother.
    I think the DCC Mono and the clip you are showing are about equal. All things considered.

Quote Originally Posted by Leroy Suggs View Post
    I pretty much agree with you brother.
    I think the DCC Mono and the clip you are showing are about equal. All things considered.
    I found the DCC Monoblock wanting in a couple of areas, personally.

One, fitment was a problem without using additional washers / spacers.

Two, the crimp near the top not only had an effect on the belt, depending on thickness, it also had an effect on the height the rig would ride at...which could alter concealment and stability.

Three, it has no metal backer to clamp against like the clip on the DSG holster, which means that there may or may not be support provided by the holster under the clip, depending on whether or not there is a void in that location.

So, for me it was a non-starter after brief testing.

^^^^^^^^
    Food for thought.

I am going by the new Mastermind holster that comes with the DCC. On that particular holster it is very good.
    I have never tried one on any other holster.

My experience is mostly with the JMCK IWB-3, riding at about 3:00, and I have really enjoyed the DCC Monobloc. As far as security, it can be a challenge getting it off of a Wilderness 1.5". But my comparison is probably more to PTD loops.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

You actually used the term "old school " in a thread about a plastic holster?

Oh bro...............
    We may lose and we may win, but we will never be here again.......

Yeah now I feel old! HA!

Quote Originally Posted by Trooper224 View Post
    You actually used the term "old school " in a thread about a plastic holster?

Oh bro...............
    Well, in the 80's I was carrying AIWB in a cordura "Assault Systems" holster with a similar style spring clip, but no way to adjust the ride height.

Before that it was always leather, (and even sometimes afterward), and later it was Ky-Tac kydex holsters from Dave Elderton in the 90's up until my first holster from JMCK about 20 years later.

I guess it's all relative. Compared to the plethora of attachments that have followed, I think that clip can still be considered as being from the "old school" camp.

Hope I'm not going to be canceled now.

Bottom mount attachments are still superior.
    Think for yourself. Question authority.

While the DCC clips have taken the number 1 spot that the DSG steel clip used to hold for me, I’m still very much a fan of it. Like Blues, I would prefer that the clip was sized for 1.5” belts instead of 1.75” but I never felt that the additional movement from the larger clip ever compromised security or concealment. It’s simple and strong enough to be secure. It’s also definitely easier to don and doff a holster using this clip than one the DCC clips.
    My posts only represent my personal opinion and do not necessarily reflect the opinions or official policies of any employer, past or present. Obvious spelling errors are likely the result of an iPhone keyboard.

User Tag List