Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Colt 1911DAO? How did I miss this when it came out?

Colt 1911DAO? How did I miss this when it came out?

Apparently in 2010-11, Colt did a run of DAO 1911s. I never saw one in a gun magazine, or in a shop, or at a gun show. Never heard of them until one popped up randomly on another page I was reading. It looks to be a different mechanism than the Double Eagle, with no exposed trigger bar. The thumb safety is gone, but unlike the Double Eagle, they kept the grip safety. (Or the grip safety is inert and just filling the opening in the back of the frame.). I am guessing some type of system like the ParaOrd LDA?

So it obviously was a flop, because it seems to have disappeared fast. But I am still curious as to how it worked. Would have liked to fat finger one.

Anyone have any experience with one?

Name:  24EB6A33-13CD-4FB3-AF8B-26B70CD5AA87.jpg
Views: 734
Size:  81.8 KB
    Name:  61E56A70-2831-4F52-A35A-8CE659253279.jpg
Views: 715
Size:  76.4 KB
    Name:  1C8A0880-DBC5-4A46-A516-EB3DD0B9DDC8.jpg
Views: 728
Size:  55.0 KB
    Name:  7C211CA1-B0F0-465F-B92E-F00C77640986.jpeg
Views: 710
Size:  99.2 KB
    “A gun is a tool, Marian; no better or no worse than any other tool: an axe, a shovel or anything. A gun is as good or as bad as the man using it. Remember that.” - Shane

Quote Originally Posted by Gadfly View Post
    Apparently in 2010-11, Colt did a run of DAO 1911s. I never saw one in a gun magazine, or in a shop, or at a gun show. Never heard of them until one popped up randomly on another page I was reading. It looks to be a different mechanism than the Double Eagle, with no exposed trigger bar. The thumb safety is gone, but unlike the Double Eagle, they kept the grip safety. (Or the grip safety is inert and just filling the opening in the back of the frame.). I am guessing some type of system like the ParaOrd LDA?

So it obviously was a flop, because it seems to have disappeared fast. But I am still curious as to how it worked. Would have liked to fat finger one.

Anyone have any experience with one?

Name:  24EB6A33-13CD-4FB3-AF8B-26B70CD5AA87.jpg
Views: 734
Size:  81.8 KB
    Name:  61E56A70-2831-4F52-A35A-8CE659253279.jpg
Views: 715
Size:  76.4 KB
    Name:  1C8A0880-DBC5-4A46-A516-EB3DD0B9DDC8.jpg
Views: 728
Size:  55.0 KB
    Name:  7C211CA1-B0F0-465F-B92E-F00C77640986.jpeg
Views: 710
Size:  99.2 KB
    I saw some of the New Agent (compact version of the same) when they came out.

I think it's another variation of the Swenson DA / Para LDA concept which I (also think) is basically a LEM-before-there-was-LEM. Not sure how accurate that statement is, though.

That pistol looks like a classic answer to a question no one asked... but interesting.

That just looks wrong.

That’s an incredible culmination of disadvantages.

I remember WTFing past them at the time

As someone who likes the late, not-so-lamented Double Eagle, I wanted to try one of the Colt 1911 DAO pistols. Unfortunately these were first shown at the 2008 SHOT Show in the guise of a DAO New Agent and did not hit the market until 2010. The Great Recession may have impacted the success or lack thereof. The rumor is that Colt did not build many of these, with some estimates of 300 total for the five-inch pistol. I have never seen one in person.

You would have thought they learned with the failure of the Double Eagle and the All American 2000. 🤦*♂️
    Formerly known as xpd54.
    The opinions expressed in this post are my own and do not reflect the opinions or policies of my employer.
    www.gunsnobbery.wordpress.com

Damn, I like that

About the DA New Agent, from Cameron Hopkins' Supervel IG page:

...I discovered I’d totally missed that Colt had introduced a DA-only version of the New Agent. Stop the presses, I better research this further. I check Gun Broker and, talk about a coincidence, what do I find but a “factory prototype” of the DA New Agent, complete with the original box marked PROTOTYPE. Digging further it appears Colt showed the DA version at the 2010 SHOT Show but never put it into production. What a find! One of only three factory prototypes! This I must have! As the auction ran down to the last hour, a new bidder jumped in. From $2600 the gun jumped to $7750 but simultaneously a friend is on the phone with me and he finds a DA New Agent picture with the serial number legible. I’m already on the Colt Archives website and key in the serial number: Colt New Agent Double Action .45 ACP. I enter two more numbers, in sequence. They both come back as DA New Agents! Several more numbers... yes, it’s certain, there was a run of at least 400 pistols. This prototype is not one of three! There were 7 minutes left in the auction. I waved bye-bye to a nearly very expensive mistake. Now I’ll go find a regular production one to mate with this, the original single-action version.

User Tag List