Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Washing Machines??

Revolvers Revolvers 1911s Stephanie B's Avatar
    I think the ones with a central agitator do a better job than the ones that don't.
    If we have to march off into the next world, let us walk there on the bodies of our enemies.

Speed Queen seems to have gotten the most recommendations. A hardware store the next town over carries them and my wife is going to look.

We got our last washer from Lowes and I think my wife would beat the clothes on a rock before she goes there again.

Quote Originally Posted by Stephanie B View Post
    I think the ones with a central agitator do a better job than the ones that don't.
    Yup.
    #RESIST

Site Supporter
    Throwing in a recommendation for GE. I know an appliance repair gentleman and GE is what he said is in his house and beach house. He also said stay away from Samsung.
    --Jason--

Quote Originally Posted by Blades View Post
    Throwing in a recommendation for GE. I know an appliance repair gentleman and GE is what he said is in his house and beach house. He also said stay away from Samsung.
    He must get paid to repair his own stuff.

I've had poor experiences with GE microwaves and lightbulbs. I don't think I'd feel confident in any of their products despite their being from vastly different manufacturing sites.
    There's nothing civil about this war.

I’d also avoid a front loader unless absolutely necessary.
    #RESIST

Site Supporter
    We bought an LG from Best Buy and like it. We selected a front loader because my wife is too short to reach easily into most top loaders. Stephanie is correct about a central agitator being better in top loaders. Salesmen in two stores said unkind things about Samsung washing machines. When a washer has digital read out boards and software as some do, I suggest buying an extended warranty because manufacturers fail to guarantee these parts past a short time period. I hooked my machine up to two different surge protectors placed in a series. In bad weather I turn off the current to the machine. This step is to prevent frying the software. We splurged on this one and bought more washer than we needed. It has a steam function to which I deleted the water supply. I like the capacity and the quiet operation. It cleans better than I thought possible. I bought an LG dryer to go with it.

Do not buy LG, we had gotten a washer & dryer, both failed at the same time, 4 months after we bought them. We didn’t skimp bought the top of the line. We went through Costco when we bought them so the extended warranty paid off...
    LG Attempted repair 6 times, refused after the 3rd attempt at repair to just replace. At the 6th repair attempt we were offered refurbished models that were not even half of what we bought our original LG washer& dryer for. Costco ended up making it right with our extra warranty protection. I don’t know how they did it, but we have been happy with our Maytag, no problems at all it’s been 2 years.

We tried one of those machines without a central agitator. Did not work well and we actually returned it. Those and front-loading machines are supposed to be the future, but we're sticking with a traditional top-load with a central agitator.

When I first replaced my washer and dryer, I was in my late 20's and they were close to 50 years old. I bought the low end Maytag, as my old ones were Maytag washer and Kenmore (basic model) dryer.
    In the last six months, a whole lot of shit has happened in my life, to the point I now am living in a new (to me) house. Maytag is no longer Maytag, but part of Whirlpool.
    They used to be made in Iowa, now they put an America sticker on them, to give the impression they are made here.
    Due to the Pandemic, and all the remodeling going on, appliances were harder to get (parents waited months for new refrigerator). Speedqueen was pretty much not available locally (couple places sell, but no stock, waiting list). Maytag commercial was at a couple locations, however, there are two types of Maytag commercial. (different warranties) The only ones I could find in stock, matched their regular machine warranties.
    So because I was on a time crunch, and due to one certain need (would have preferred an agitator, but still have access to one), I looked at features and got the most basic Whirlpool I could find in stock (delivered installed, via Costco), without all that fancy screen junk that will break.
    I am hopeful that the most basic model will last me a while and hopefully next time, I can find the longer warranty commercial models.

User Tag List