Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: Washing Machines??

Ours have been working fine, even during outages...

There's nothing civil about this war.

My first washer and dryer were on sale Sears Kenmore $450 for the pair late 1970s, simple lasted 25 years. Never had to work on them.

I admit I have not read this thread entirely. I do know that when it comes to appliances I find that buying the cheapest model with the less features seems to be the way to go. The features normally fail and cause a lack of efficiency. Our basic appliances seem to last longer than my friends who prefer gadgets and gizmos.

Quote Originally Posted by blues View Post
    Ours have been working fine, even during outages...

Will be missing the clothesline.
    Didn't have the wringer, but did use the rest back, long ago. Ice storm knocked out my and a neighbors power for a couple weeks. I was one of a couple of people that would go in and change her oxygen tank (she was 99 at the time, still living at home, alone and still had an electric/manual version of the wringer in her basement). I certainly appreciated gravity furnaces after that.

Wednesday after work, my wife went to the hardware store in the next town over to look at Speed Queens. She bought and paid for one they had in stock. They delivered and installed it this morning. She is now doing the third load in it. In less than 48 hours it was delivered and installed. Gotta love small towns.

Thought I’d bump this as I’m probably in the market.

Wife is pretty committed to going top-loader this time.

ETA:
    I see Speed queen getting a lot of love, but a 3 CF model appears to be north of $1,200? I’m not trying to spend that kind of money on a washer.
    Does the above offend? If you have paid to be here, you can click here to put it in context.

Quote Originally Posted by BN View Post
    Wednesday after work, my wife went to the hardware store in the next town over to look at Speed Queens. She bought and paid for one they had in stock. They delivered and installed it this morning. She is now doing the third load in it. In less than 48 hours it was delivered and installed. Gotta love small towns.
    About a month ago our dryer went bad too. So, my wife went to the same hardware store and bought a Speed Queen. They delivered and installed it within a week. A biker looking guy and an Amish did it. Love small towns.

Site Supporter
    I've owned all of two washing machines in the 21 years since I bought our house. The first, a more or less traditional style machine, did a good job and lasted about 17-18 years. The second one, a modern "High Efficiency" top loader without central agitator, sucks. It doesn't matter what settings I use, I often cannot force it to do a full fill for wash or rinse. It just decides I only need a bare minimal amount of water and ignores me. As a result, it's not unusual to have detergent stains on our dark clothes.

Next time, I'm getting a traditional "low efficiency" model, the environment can go to hell. I haven't read any reviews, but the Maytag Commercial lines sold at Lowes look good.

Chris

Quote Originally Posted by mtnbkr View Post
    I've owned all of two washing machines in the 21 years since I bought our house. The first, a more or less traditional style machine, did a good job and lasted about 17-18 years. The second one, a modern "High Efficiency" top loader without central agitator, sucks. It doesn't matter what settings I use, I often cannot force it to do a full fill for wash or rinse. It just decides I only need a bare minimal amount of water and ignores me. As a result, it's not unusual to have detergent stains on our dark clothes.

Next time, I'm getting a traditional "low efficiency" model, the environment can go to hell. I haven't read any reviews, but the Maytag Commercial lines sold at Lowes look good.

Chris
    What am I missing with these “commercial grade”?

How does anyone work with a 3.5 CF washer?

Commercial Grade 3.5-cu ft High Efficiency Agitator Top-Load Washer (White)
    Does the above offend? If you have paid to be here, you can click here to put it in context.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by rob_s View Post
    What am I missing with these “commercial grade”?

How does anyone work with a 3.5 CF washer?

Commercial Grade 3.5-cu ft High Efficiency Agitator Top-Load Washer (White)
    My assumption is a simpler design, easier to repair/maintain, and more robust construction. Yes, it's smaller, but what I've found with my "HE" model is I have to do smaller loads than its capacity would indicate because it refuses to use adequate water.

Another option would be a bottom-tier model that is probably just as simple as the commercial ones, but not as robustly made. At a fraction of the price, you could replace it every 5-10 years and still be ahead money-wise (though not in terms of hassle). Either way, based on my experience and my mom's (she also has an HE model), the HE washers are not worth it.

Chris

User Tag List