Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Washing Machines??

Washing Machines??

Have we done a thread on washing machines?? I couldn't find one.

We have a Maytag Bravos XL that's maybe 5 years old. It is very noisy now, and sounds like a jet plane during the spin cycle. My wife found out online that this is common and costs a lot to fix.

We're probably just going to get a new washing machine. We'll need a heavy duty one because we (ha ha. My wife) does a lot of laundry.

Any suggestions?

If you can find a Speed Queen washer, I highly recommend it. The local repair shops all say it the best brand currently. And they're built for heavy duty use. We've been very happy with ours.

Site Supporter
    Don't buy a POS Samsung!

Site Supporter

Washing Machines??

Quote Originally Posted by rd62 View Post
    Don't buy a POS Samsung!
    I second this advice. Bought a Samsung fridge, clothes washer, and drier in 2012. Had lots of problems with both the fridge and the washer. Went Maytag for the new house, so far zero problems but only a year old.

Edited to add: I looked for speed queen at the time but couldn’t find anything appropriate for home use.

Quote Originally Posted by Exiledviking View Post
    If you can find a Speed Queen washer, I highly recommend it. The local repair shops all say it the best brand currently. And they're built for heavy duty use. We've been very happy with ours.
    We bought a Speed Queen washer and dryer about 3 years ago. Salesperson told us they were commercial quality and indestructible. The dryer light died within 6 months. Store said that it was a wear item not covered by warranty. So we bought a replacement, which also died right away. Not a big deal, but the washer occasionally won't start when we press the start button. I finally figured out that if I unplug it, wait a few seconds, then plug it back in, then press the start button, it will start like it's supposed to.

Speed Queen TC5 is a tank and uses full temperature hot water if selected. I previously had the TR7 total POS and wouldnt clean dirty clothes. I had to haggle woth Speed Queen to take back the TR7 for a full refund.
    Great review
    https://youtu.be/dk2P5_7g_jg
    Maytag another great washer
    https://youtu.be/tpsrrjSXw5o
    Last edited by SJC3081; 03-14-2021 at 04:20 PM.

We have the Whirlpool Duet/ Steam washer and dryer we got from Spenser’s. They’ve held up well. We probably run 4-6 loads a week.
    Just a dog chauffeur that used to hold the dumb end of the leash.

Site Supporter
    My Speed Queen has been durable. It is a very basic top load washer. I bought it about 9.5 years ago -- so no idea whether the current versions are as good.

It does seem like it may be a bit hard on clothes -- all of my dress shirts go to the dry cleaners, which is fine because they iron them, too.

Speed Queen set bought over ten years ago. After a bad experience with a very expensive Bosch we went with the simplest, knob turner we could find. Very happy since.
    "Specialization is for insects." -Robert A. Heinlein

Site Supporter
    Huh. We've owned the same fairly inexpensive Samsung washer for 10 years now. The only problem it's ever had is a pump that cost me $35 that I fixed myself. Maybe I've been lucky.

User Tag List