Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Washing Machines??

I have a Maytag washer and Maytag dryer that have been in the house since we bought it over 17 years ago.

(And they still run...not sitting on the front porch. I realize you might mistake my living in Appalachia for a certain lifestyle. Of course, now, they'll give up the ghost tomorrow.)
    There's nothing civil about this war.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Bio View Post
    Huh. We've owned the same fairly inexpensive Samsung washer for 10 years now. The only problem it's ever had is a pump that cost me $35 that I fixed myself. Maybe I've been lucky.
    I have a semi-fancy one; the sensor/computer controlled front opening mechanism failed twice... once under warranty and once not. Had to replace the whole controller IIRC.

Site Supporter
    We've had Whirlpool Duet washer/gas dryer since '06. Other than a few part changes, no major ones, they've been solid.
    "There are two ways to do most anything- right and again."

Quote Originally Posted by blues View Post
    I have a Maytag washer and Maytag dryer that have been in the house since we bought it over 17 years ago.

(And they still run...not sitting on the front porch. I realize you might mistake my living in Appalachia for a certain lifestyle. Of course, now, they'll give up the ghost tomorrow.)
    My Maytags are the same vintage and also came with the house. Washer has required one repair to date. Dryer still going strong.
    The first indication a bad guy should have that I'm dangerous is when his
    disembodied soul is looking down at his own corpse wondering what happened.

Have Samsung HE washer & dryer. About 8 years.
    Have had to replace:
    Dryer belt twice , heating element assembly, wheels twice ( buy OEM wheels).

DO NOT BUY EXTENDED WARRANTY HOME SERVICE, THEY ARE OUT OF 3RD WORLD CALL CENTER, DO NOT SHOW UP FOR MONTHS AND THEN DO NOT HAVE THE PARTS.

You tube is your friend. RepairClinic is helpful.
    I repaired dryer, LG dishwasher fairly easily. No waiting for help, cheaper. I live in the sticks.

Semi related if you do heavy baking Kitchen Aid mixers do not hold up, plastic gear for the past several years no longer made by Hobart. Broke 2 one twice in normal use.
    Hobart Mixer holds up but is expensive $2400 aprox.

Site Supporter
    I have Maytag commercial for washer and dryer. We are hard on these systems and have had no issues in 4 years.

Speed Queen or Maytag commercial.
    #RESIST

Purchased the basic Speed Queen 5+ years ago, clothes are cleaner compared to our front loader experience. Only complaint or observation is we need to regularly clean out the fabric softener holder. By pulling up on the cup holder built into the agitator fabric softener builds up inside restricting proper disbursement during cycling causing it to slowly ooze out once the load is complete.

When we are in the market for a heavily used item we look for what the commercial users buy. When a new washing machine was needed, we checked coin laundries. Similarly, when we wanted to treadmill at home (Mrs. DT is a heavy user) we duplicated what the brand / model public gyms were using. So far, this system has worked out pretty well.

I agree with staying away from Samsung. Maybe they have improved but the older one I had issues.

I'm not sure which Speed Queen I have but I picked it up slightly used at a good price from a local retail outlet. I have had it for a year, works well when I use it, and my wife loves it.
    -Seconds Count. Misses Don't-

User Tag List