Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: RFI on 7.62x39 "military style" rifle

I'd love to see a way to properly mount a good dot without needing a 'smith. Maybe an SKS version of the UlitMAK? Even at 10 rounds and having to use stripper clips, I think they make a decent defensive carbine.
    Nothing so needs reforming as other people's habits - Mark Twain

Tact is the knack of making a point without making an enemy / Where is the wisdom we have lost in knowledge?

Quote Originally Posted by flyrodr View Post
    Thanks very much. The mag is attached, and the release just drops the bottom plate for a dump. I did forget to mention that there was an extended mag in the box. Appears that both it and the standard mag attach somehow up in the stock, but to be honest I didn't even look at it yet.
    To attach the extended magazine you have to field strip the rifle and reassemble without the fixed 10-rounder and the extended one will rock in kinda like an AK. But Based on everything I've read and the couple I've tried it's not going to work very well.

I played with a few SKS' over the years. I have yet to find any aftermarket accessory that's not junk with the possible exception of a couple of very expensive chassis systems. Between that and the fact that you have a nice one I would highly recommend leaving it as is. It will never be any better than it is right now. I haven't followed the SKS market in a while but one that nice is worth something. And they're never coming back into the country except maybe batches of surplus occasionally.

If you really want to learn about the SKS you can check out SKSbords.com or just do some google searching. There's tons on info out there.
    Quote Originally Posted by MattyD380 View Post
    Because buying cool, interesting guns I don't need isn't a decision... it's a lifestyle...

Quote Originally Posted by flyrodr View Post
    Any ideas appreciated.

Attachment 68816
    this is the best bayonet because its tri bladed & the length of the rifle you can stick it into a chicken or any kind of bird to comfortabley roast over a fire. the tri blade works really well for it like its a big toothpick

Gentlemen,

I appreciate the collective wisdom here at P-F.com. Not being much of a rifleman myself, this thing was pretty much a mystery to me. I did look on GB.com, but figured (correctly) that I'd get much more info here - - - especially tips like roasting chickens with the bayonet and following up by using it as a toothpick. You can't get help like that just any where!

I'll pass the info on to my father-in-law (now in his 80s, and while a super nice guy, is not into guns at all), and let him decide what he wants to do with it.

I can't get that roasting chickens idea out of my mind. Thinking though, it might be even better as a frog gig. And if I run into a bullfrog that's just too big . . . well, if I keep the rifle loaded, there's that. Of course, that idea begs the question of mounting a light on it. And what load is best suited to frogs, without damaging those tasty legs.

Here is a great video review that talks about the type 56:

Quote Originally Posted by Welder View Post
    Mine was lucky to make 4 MOA but it was reliable.
    I had one for a while. I always thought that it would group better if you got rid of the bayonet and cleaning rod but I never tried.

Okie John
    “The reliability of the 30-06 on most of the world’s non-dangerous game is so well established as to be beyond intelligent dispute.” Finn Aagaard
    "Don't fuck with it" seems to prevent the vast majority of reported issues." BehindBlueI's

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by okie john View Post
    I had one for a while. I always thought that it would group better if you got rid of the bayonet and cleaning rod but I never tried.

Okie John
    I never thought they looked right naked. My grandfather had a Polytech AK with a spike around the same time, and I used it on groundhogs as well. My farthest shot with it was 110 yards resting across a 4-wheeler seat. Ever since that rifle I don't even think AK's look right without a spike. Even if it's not 'normal.'

The ammo we had back then was junk, too. 4 MOA might've been all it was good for!

PewpewTactical did a decent overview of these rifles last year if you're looking for a 5-10 minute read to get the rundown on it:
    https://www.pewpewtactical.com/sks-review/

It's kind of weird to see them moving past the $500 mark these days.
    "You win 100% of the fights you avoid. If you're not there when it happens, you don't lose." - William Aprill
    "I've owned a guitar for 31 years and that sure hasn't made me a musician, let alone an expert. It's made me a guy who owns a guitar."- BBI

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Joe in PNG View Post
    It's kind of weird to see them moving past the $500 mark these days.
    Considering I paid $99 for mine in '92, yes.
    Trigger pull was horrid and I never warmed up to it.
    Sold it and about 350 rounds of Chinese ammo to a co-worker for $350 about six or seven years ago.

User Tag List