Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: RFI on 7.62x39 "military style" rifle

RFI on 7.62x39 "military style" rifle

My father-in-law had this under his bed. I believe he got it from his deceased brother, so has no history on it.

Don’t think it’s any kind of valuable relic, but wondered if any members had an idea if it has any value. Appears more/less new, but I’m pretty sure it has to be several decades old.

Didn’t get a photo of the “fine print”, but as I recall, it said something like “SKS Made by Norinco in China”

Any ideas appreciated.

Attachment 68816

Attachment 68817 hi

Watch what this one goes for on GB. https://www.gunbroker.com/item/894953076

Yours is probably worth $200 more because of condition. The one on GB looks like the stock has been varnished. Yours looks pristine like it was popped out of the crate yesterday.

People were buying those for $150 back in the 90's. That supply dried up a long time ago. Being Chinese I think they're no longer imported but I'm not up on imports. I have a friend who has one. He says it's a good shooter.

IIRC the AK-47 replaced the SKS. The AK-47 has a detachable magazine where the SKS doesn't.
    Last edited by Borderland; 03-13-2021 at 08:19 PM.
    In the P-F basket of deplorables.

Quote Originally Posted by Borderland View Post
    Watch what this one goes for on GB. https://www.gunbroker.com/item/894953076

Yours is probably worth $200 more because of condition. The one on GB looks like the stock has been varnished. Yours looks pristine like it was popped out of the crate yesterday.

People were buying those for $150 back in the 90's. That supply dried up a long time ago. Being Chinese I think they're no longer imported but I'm not up on imports. I have a friend who has one. He says it's a good shooter.

IIRC the AK-47 replaced the SKS. The AK-47 has a detachable magazine where the SKS doesn't.
    Thanks very much. The mag is attached, and the release just drops the bottom plate for a dump. I did forget to mention that there was an extended mag in the box. Appears that both it and the standard mag attach somehow up in the stock, but to be honest I didn't even look at it yet.

@flyrodr, based on the condition and inclusion of an extended mag, it's almost assuredly a commercial production Chinese Type 56 Carbine (SKS). The Chinese used the SKS alongside the Type 56 rifle (AK) for many decades. When the PLA stopped buying them, Norinco started importing them to the US at crazy low prices. However, they had made millions and millions of these, and they served in front line use up through the 80s. Chinese Type 56 SKSs accounted for the majority of the small arms in use by the NVA and Viet Cong during the 1st and 2nd Indochina Wars, and the Chinese also sent them elsewhere as military aid.

The commercial Norincos are the least sought after SKSs on the market. Not a bad rifle to come into by chance, however. The shame of the SKS is that it's the quintessential low-income white trash bubba rifle in America, which has tainted their image. People used to buy them for cheap and think it's "basically an AK, bruh", and dress it up in a bunch of low-quality junk furniture and accessories. If you look at them from the perspective of military history just as you would an M1 Garand or M1 Carbine, they're actually pretty interesting rifles. Since the supply has dried up and with the massive increase of gun owners over the last decade, I think they're going to keep gaining value and people will start appreciating them more for their history than as the default cleetus blaster. If it was a military SKS I'd say hold on to it for that reason alone, though who knows....you might just like it anyways.

If you intend to ever take it shooting just to see if you like it, make absolutely sure that you blow out the bolt with a lot of non-chlorinated brake cleaner, mineral spirits, or whatever your preferred strongest cleaner is. They have a free-float firing pin that is particularly prone to slam-fires if there's congealed oil, grease, or cosmoline in the firing pin channel.
    "Are you ready? Okay. Let's roll."- Last words of Todd Beamer

They’re solid, reliable rifles, but heavy for the power they provide. Think of it as a gas-operated 30-30 that uses lighter bullets, so it’s adequate for smaller deer at shorter ranges. I’ve often thought of getting one and Dremelling off all of the excess weight, then using it as a close-cover deer rifle.

The aftermarket extended mag is probably a piece of shit. Give it to someone you don’t like.

Scoping one is a bitch.

Okie John
    “The reliability of the 30-06 on most of the world’s non-dangerous game is so well established as to be beyond intelligent dispute.” Finn Aagaard
    "Don't fuck with it" seems to prevent the vast majority of reported issues." BehindBlueI's

Site Supporter
    I'm starting to realize that I'm getting old when I pop in here really quick and read two threads, one basically asking what an SKS is and the other something about shooting NODS with armor LOL. I remember SKS's selling for less than $100 in Shotgun News, so everybody saying they're Cletus rifles are right when it comes to American views. AK's were almost twice as much at the time, who could afford one? Lots of people bought cases of SKS's...'cases' isn't the proper term, but you get my point. Wooden boxes with a bunch of rifles in them, all packed in cosmoline. The preppers of the '90's had cases of SKS's and baked beans. Crates, that was the term. Crates of SKS's.

I did have one. And yes, it was a heavy rifle for it's purpose. Mine had a spike bayonet, others had blade bayonets, still others were bare. Mine was lucky to make 4 MOA but it was reliable. It was a blaster rifle for walking the fencerows after a day of work and shooting groundhogs and sparrows and such. 20 rounds of ammo was like $2 or something, so way more expensive than .22 which was $8.88/brick of 500 at Walmart, but for a centerfire it was as cheap as it got. The top of the bolt is slotted for stripper clips and that's the way to load it. The sight radius stinks and yeah, scope options were such at the time that I never tried.

Lacking a pistol grip and detachable magazine would be benefits in some areas, I would think. There were variants that used AK magazines, but I've heard mixed reports on their reliability.

Honestly I'd rather read a thread about SKS's than another about AR's, so I'm mainly writing in here to support this thread.

My understanding is that with the stock 10 round mags they work well and they trying to run 30 round mags through them stresses the system past long term reliability.

Glock Collective Assimile Suvorov's Avatar
    Escapee from the SF Bay Area now living on the Front Range of Colorado.
    They are good and solid rifles with the caveats mentioned here. There was a time in my life when just about everyone I knew had one. Wouldn’t be my first choice to face down the goblin hordes with, but they are certainly serviceable military rifles.

Glock Collective Assimile Suvorov's Avatar
    Escapee from the SF Bay Area now living on the Front Range of Colorado.
    They are good and solid rifles with the caveats mentioned here. There was a time in my life when just about everyone I knew had one. Wouldn’t be my first choice to face down the goblin hordes with, but they are certainly serviceable military rifles.

Re: scoping an SKS

Use an appropriate scope and D&T properly into the receiver. Works fine. You can use a PU type mount as seen here (a Yugo wearing a Yugo ON-52 scope made in Ljubljiana), or you can use an AK rail and a low-rise mount. Go the cleetus cheepus route, and you won't be able to hold zero in addition to having horrible ergonomics.

Name:  MountFinished.jpg
Views: 691
Size:  52.9 KB

Name:  Action.jpg
Views: 455
Size:  54.7 KB
    "Are you ready? Okay. Let's roll."- Last words of Todd Beamer

User Tag List