Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: 43C Questions

Quote Originally Posted by Poconnor View Post
    I wish they made the 43c with the model 63 stainless steel cylinder and extractor. Do you ever think that the factory hopes we don’t actually shoot them ?
    I wish S&W offered a .22LR version of the stainless Centennial with a pinned front sight. That would make an excellent sub-caliber training gun. Ruger offered a .22 version of the carry SP-101, so the precedent exists for a steel sub-caliber trainer.

Mine with about 1000 fed automatch, cci minimags, prime brand 22. It had the yoke and something else replaced by the factory immediately. Cylinder would lock up.
    Runs a lot better now. Though the prime brand .22s tend to stick in the cylinder. Need to clean the lead off better with a pick.

Name:  20210316_212741.jpg
Views: 539
Size:  24.8 KB

Name:  20210316_212909.jpg
Views: 556
Size:  41.7 KB

"carbine-infested rural (and suburban) areas"
    Makes me wonder how big the throats are on these things. On .38 and .357 J frames I've measured, the throats are .359. That leads to severe and surprisingly rapid leading when shooting .357 sized lead, even when it's a mild load like wadcutters. These .22LRs, firing soft swaged bullets, may be exhibiting the same phenomenon. Wouldn't surprise me to see .224-.225 throats.
    -----------------------------------------
    Not another dime.

I have a Scandium 317 that has had many thousands of .22 rounds through it. Not sure the last time I cleaned it, but it has always run perfectly. It is a pre lock production model.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

I also have a 317 that is at about the 1k mark and doesn’t look anywhere near that rough.

Hammertime
    Quote Originally Posted by OlongJohnson View Post
    Makes me wonder how big the throats are on these things. On .38 and .357 J frames I've measured, the throats are .359. That leads to severe and surprisingly rapid leading when shooting .357 sized lead, even when it's a mild load like wadcutters. These .22LRs, firing soft swaged bullets, may be exhibiting the same phenomenon. Wouldn't surprise me to see .224-.225 throats.
    https://www.brownells.com/gunsmith-t...s-prod678.aspx

If that were in stock I would consider buying one and opening the throat a bit.

Stupid thing locked up on 1/10 cylinders of Minimags yesterday and they are near impossible to extract. I hit is with a drill chucked brass brush with chore boy surrounding it. I hope that helps. I don’t want to get too abrasive with the aluminum cylinder.

How do those work?

Hammertime
    Quote Originally Posted by 03RN View Post
    How do those work?
    Take the cylinder and crane off and the tool has a crane that lines it up with the barrel. Spin tool to cut cone a bit.

Hammertime
    I sent it back to S&W and they turned it around in a month. Gunsmith notes: Repaired Yoke, Repaired Bolt, replaced extractor.

Indeed the extractor looks decent now:

Name:  BD52EFFB-F0E8-487C-86EE-26B420BD2148.jpg
Views: 300
Size:  43.1 KB

I ran 80 Minimags and 8 Velocitors. No locking cylinder. No extreme
    difficulty ejecting. No spitting lead. I think it is fixed!

One dud round that fired second strike. The Velocitors were fired last
    and extracted better than the Minimags.

It remains fun to shoot and extremely accurate with the Lasergrips. I didn’t even have to re zero them after taking them on and off. Surprised myself with this 97-3x at 25 yards. Not bad for a barrel with 3,000 on it.

Name:  942C653D-42D0-4E3D-B90D-294A3315CA92.jpg
Views: 310
Size:  39.4 KB

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Pyromancer View Post
    Mine with about 1000 fed automatch, cci minimags, prime brand 22. It had the yoke and something else replaced by the factory immediately. Cylinder would lock up.
    Runs a lot better now. Though the prime brand .22s tend to stick in the cylinder. Need to clean the lead off better with a pick.
    Mine looked a lot worse than that after a few hundred rounds. It's a bummer, as the 43c's LACK of steel parts made it a great gun for an environment where you sweat, a ton, without needing crazy maintenance.

User Tag List