Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: A caution about gun writers and online reviews:

A caution about gun writers and online reviews:

This statement serves as a a caution about gun writers and online reviews:

...Trigger-wise, the Colt uses a “V” mainspring rather than a flat mainspring (though the “V” shaped spring happens to be flat). Because of this, the Colt is long action and S&W has a short action design. All things being equal, the Colt’s long action double action pull will feel lighter through the longer arc since there is more leverage...

https://www.thetruthaboutguns.com/or...s-colt-python/

I assume that Valdés read somewhere - probably in a few places - that the stacking in the trigger strokes of Clot's V-spring revolvers were the function of the V spring when it's actually the function of the geometry of other parts, as is the length of the trigger stroke. Also, if he wants to discuss the length of the trigger stroke, it would be nice if he mentioned that pre-WWII S&W's had longer trigger strokes - with the correspondingly better DA "pull" but that the travel was shortened to slightly decrease lock time for target shooters who fired in SA mode.

I typically don’t pay any attention to 95%+ of people publishing information about guns these days. People such as yourself and a few others, some of whom post on this forum on occasion, being the exception. Those are decent alleged 25 yards groups from the article, though.
    Last edited by Scal; 05-29-2021 at 07:42 PM.

"carbine-infested rural (and suburban) areas"
    One problem with TTAG is they will apparently take freelance copy from pretty much any random schmoe who turns it in.
    -----------------------------------------
    Not another dime.

TTAG--and many others--can safely be ignored.

Okie John
    “The reliability of the 30-06 on most of the world’s non-dangerous game is so well established as to be beyond intelligent dispute.” Finn Aagaard
    "Don't fuck with it" seems to prevent the vast majority of reported issues." BehindBlueI's

I pretty much gave up on any of the various gun magazines I still get in the mail. I think I did a 5 year subscription or something on some of them, or maybe I'm still getting some from NRA membership, but they basically go straight in the recycling or I take them to work for the boys to grab up. Sometimes I'll peruse like a history article or something, but the reviews are basicially just ad copy.

That said, what are some of the GOOD info sources on the internet (besides P-F)? I generally like soldiersystems.net and thefirearmblog.com, for isntance.

Quote Originally Posted by okie john View Post
    TTAG--and many others--can safely be ignored.

Okie John

FWIW, Ive found that occasionally some youtube personalities that I otherwise dont really care to suffer through long monologues of questionable veracity can be skipped through the talking parts and get to the good parts, such as shooting Thompson submachine guns for instance. The arrow keys right and left work to skip 5 seconds at a time once the cursor is put on the vid and clicked. You have to start it again but it activates the skip feature of the arrows. So, you can edit out the talking and get to the fun part and not cause any loss of IQ or other harm. The 20 minute videos can often be gotten through in 5 minutes or so and catch the few good parts.
    “Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checkered by failure, than to take rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy much nor suffer much, because they live in the gray twilight that knows neither victory nor defeat.”
    ― Theodore Roosevelt

Next thing you know some gun writer is going to imply that the 45 is obsolete......

The internet has turned everyone into a writer/expert.

I became leery of gun writers back when “content” was still printed. But at least back then, the cost of publishing made editors more selective about what made it onto their pages.

Recently, I reread an old article from 1989-90 covering S&Ws development of the 1006 10mm. I was honestly shocked at the level of legitimately technical information present in that one article, when compared to those of today. Today, I occasionally glance through new issues in the grocery store, but I haven't actually bought a gun magazine in years. With most Youtubers I speed click through the verbal detritus to find any worthwhile bits. Last night I listened to a podcast with Scott Reitz. That's the first thing I've listened to from begining to end in a long time.
    We may lose and we may win, but we will never be here again.......

If it's in my Google feed and it's about guns, it's pablum 90% of the time.

As opposed to 50-60% of other topics.
    REPETITION CREATES BELIEF
    REPETITION BUILDS THE SEPARATE WORLDS WE LIVE AND DIE IN
    NO EXCEPTIONS

User Tag List