Page 45 of 47 FirstFirst ... 354344454647 LastLast

Thread: New High Capacity Shield

Quote Originally Posted by psalms144.1 View Post
    I'm on my second one. First one was completely reliable through north of 1,000 rounds, but I never could adjust to shooting it with the optic I had direct milled it for. Got another slick slide one a month or two ago, it's been through 300+ rounds of ball and 100 rounds of various JHP without a hiccup.

Trigger was "better" (e.g. lighter) on the first one, and getting the new magazines to load to capacity is simply impossible. They're JUST BARELY 10 rounds in the flush mags, but won't seat slide forward, and 12 rounds only in the 13 round mags. Maybe they'll break in, but, frankly, I don't shoot the pistol enough to likely get enough cycles through the springs to "break them in."
    Thanks for the info. I have heard many complain about the 13 round magazines. In fact, I bought it knowing that it may be a 12 + 1 with the extended magazine. I have not heard that about the 10s though, we’ll have to see.

about 200 rounds through mine, mixed ammo, including my spotty lead bullet handloads. No problems yet. My 13 rounder is really tough to load up, the 10 round mag is reasonable enough.

The take up feels really gritty, but it breaks well and I don't notice it at all shooting.

Overall I really dig it, it's a step up from the earlier versions.

Site Supporter
    On the CSX thread, GJM posted a video that talks about fixing the CSX mags.
    The mag spring isn't correctly attached to the follower.
    Here is a video just talking about that.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nlZh5qQ-LQY

I wonder if it's a similar issue with Shield Plus mags.

Quote Originally Posted by Whirlwind06 View Post
    On the CSX thread, GJM posted a video that talks about fixing the CSX mags.
    The mag spring isn't correctly attached to the follower.
    Here is a video just talking about that.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nlZh5qQ-LQY

I wonder if it's a similar issue with Shield Plus mags.
    Not the case with my Shield Plus 13rd mags. They appear to be assembled correctly. I have had these for several month using them @ a number of range session. The new 13rd mags will not load the 13th rd. Called S&W CS and was told to send them back on my dime and they would check them. They could not give a time line on servicing them. Also said this is not a recurring complaint. FWIW.

JW
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Quote Originally Posted by equin View Post
    I got a Shield Plus a few weeks ago and was finally able to take it to the range this past weekend. I have to say I’m really impressed with it. The trigger, while not as good as my 1911, is still really good, especially for being striker-fired. It was also just as accurate as my 1911 from 5 to 15 yards. Groups were just as tight, which surprised me given its short barrel. It went through 250 rounds of various brands of 115 gr and 147 gr FMJ without a hitch. I only had a few rounds of JHP, though, so I didn’t really get a chance to test it out as much with that ammo, but the few rounds of JHP I fed it were no trouble at all. Recoil was perfectly manageable, not snappy at all for being a relatively small gun, too. The grip itself feels good in my hands. I wear a size Large in gloves, and the grip feels great with the 13-round mag. I found the 10-round mag to be a tad small for my hands, though, so I changed the baseplate for a Pearce grip extension and it fits much better. All in all, I really like my new Shield Plus so far.

Unlike most on here, I’m still relatively new to firearms. I don’t have any other handguns of a similar size to compare, such as a 365/365XL, Hellcat, G43, etc. The only other handguns I have are a G34, a 5” 1911 .45 ACP, and an older 3rd gen S&W 3913, which is probably the closest in size to the Shield Plus, but still bigger and heavier and with a DA/SA trigger. So nothing that’s really apples to apples for comparison purposes. I took them all to the range except the Glock 34. While I shot the Shield Plus and 1911 equally as accurately with similar group sizes, I was able to shoot it more accurately than the much wider groups from my 3913. But to be fair, the 3913 has a DA/SA trigger that I hadn’t shot in a long time. So again, it wasn’t an apple-to-apple comparison. While I didn’t shoot the Glock 34 side by side this time around, I’ve shot it enough times to know that its trigger just isn’t as good as the Shield Plus trigger in my subjective view.

There are a few minor things, though, that I didn’t like, but those issues certainly don’t outweigh the pluses for me. The first is the grip texture. It works great in my hands. It’s just that it scratches my bare skin too much for my liking when I try to wear it IWB. Someone else on here mentioned that a couple passes with some sandpaper helped with that. I may try doing that with some fine grit. If that doesn’t work, I may try a rubber-textured Talon grip sheet on the the grip-side that contacts my skin.

The second is that riding or touching the slide release with my left thumb while shooting keeps the slide from locking open after emptying the mag. Lowering my left thumb down a bit easily fixed the problem.

The third is that the slide release itself is hard to engage one-handed. I need two hands to manipulate it at the moment. Not sure if that’s a safety design feature or just tight a spring or tight tolerances that’ll loosen up with more rounds over time. And those are the only minor issues I encountered with it.

Aside from that, I do have some reliability concerns after reading of a few problems others have posted in this thread and in other forums. Not mentioned in this thread but in other forums is the problem a few have had with the little slide release spring coming out of its groove and causing the slide to jam. I’ve read this has happened on the Shield 2.0’s, too. Hopefully these issues are rare and far and few between, though.

Anyway, here’s a pic of mine alongside my 1911 and 3913 for a neat size comparison. The plan is to include my Shield Plus into my carry rotation. I’ve carried the 1911 and 3913, so carrying the smaller and lighter Shield Plus should be much easier and comfortable.

Attachment 80930
    I just wanted to give an observational update now that I’ve had the opportunity to compare my Shield Plus with my friend’s P365 that I shot yesterday. In my opinion, the P365 had better sights than my Plus. It also felt really well in my hand, as if the grip was made for my hands. The Plus grip feels good in my hand, too, but I’d give the edge on hand grip to the P365, with the exception that I like the Plus grip surface stippling better than the P365.

The P365 also has a 15-round mag, so that’s two more than the Plus 13-rounder. Loading the P365 mag became more difficult to load with more rounds, though. It was very difficult getting that last round in.

I shot the P365 well, but I shoot the Plus much better. My groups are tighter with the Plus than with the P365. At first I thought it may be because I’m more used to shooting the Plus, but I remember my groups being tight the very first time I shot the Plus. I think part of that may be both the trigger and the felt recoil. For me, the Plus trigger was much better than the P365’s. But also, felt recoil was much better, too. The P365 felt a bit snappy and with a bit more muzzle flip. I don’t know how S&W did it, but for being a small gun the recoil is comparatively mild and there is no snappy feeling.

In summary, I thought the P365 was a great little gun, but I still prefer the Plus. It just shoots better for me. I realize most of this is subjective, but I thought I’d add it to help others who may be considering a Plus.

Quote Originally Posted by Bucky View Post
    On an impulse buy, I picked up a purple shield plus last week. I thought it was a factory option, I guess I should’ve done my homework. No matter, as long as it works. Haven’t gotten any range time on it yet.

So for those who have been shooting theirs, how is it going? Are they still proving to be mostly reliable?
    Well, several weeks later, and I’m finally planning on shooting this thing tonight. I figured that maybe I would give the magazines a little break in time before getting to the range. The 10 round magazine loaded without issue. The 10th round was a little stiff, but didn’t seem too bad. The 13 round magazine was a little stiffer on the 13th round, however it did not seem too excessive. I load all my magazines manually, and after 30 years of USPSA I may have a little better strength / technique in loading magazines than the average shooter.

Will post more thought after shooting, probably tomorrow in the AM.

So I finally got to shoot my Shield plus. I put a bit over 200 rounds down range, including 147 and 124 grain reloads and a box of 147 HST.

First things first, for all intents and purposes, the extended magazine is a 12 round magazine, NOT a 13 round magazine! At least the sample I received, YMMV. I am totally fine with that, since I kind of suspected that might be the case going in. Even though my perhaps bionic thumb had little trouble getting the 13th round into the magazine, the gun would not cycle at 13+1. Even with the HST rounds. I suspect that maybe a +P round may have enough umph to do so, I don't need to take that kind of gamble for one extra round. Also, I don't like shooting the +P stuff in these guns with such light slides.

Aside from the above mentioned 13+1 scenario, the gun functioned flawlessly in both 12+1 and 10+1 configurations. I did not do any limp wrist testing this time around, but is definitely on the agenda for the next range outing. For me, a gun is not vetted unless it can pass that test. I expect a gun to cycle reliably with quality ammunition regardless of grip, except of course anything that directly impedes slide movement.

I really like the way this gun shoots. It shot very comparably to my G43. In previous outings, I've run my G43 against the Hellcat, Sig 365, and Ruger Max 9. In those outings, I felt the G43 in my hands shot much better than the others, to the point I was willing to stick with the lesser capacity option. A couple things of note, 1. I don't have great grip strength, so a gun that torques in the hand is more noticeable to me than you Schwarzenegger types. and 2. I shoot the G43 quite well considering it's size.

The one problem I did have with my Shield plus is the sights. It's the standard 3 dot sight setup. I'm not a fan of 3 dot to begin with, but this gun just shoots low. I even confirmed this shooting off a bag. I did work it out, where basically the entire blade to cover where I wanted the point of impact to go, and did manage to get some good groups out of it once I adjusted. This is typically easily fixed, though I'm not sure what options are available at this time.

Final verdict, with a better and more dialed in sight setup, this is candidate for carry. I will of course also need to follow up with some limp wristing tests, as well, but I have a good feeling it will pass (as did my traditional Shield).

Anyone else have the sighting issues I had? Anyone have any suggestion on a replacement? TIA.

~Bucky.

Quote Originally Posted by Bucky View Post
    The one problem I did have with my Shield plus is the sights. It's the standard 3 dot sight setup. I'm not a fan of 3 dot to begin with, but this gun just shoots low. I even confirmed this shooting off a bag. I did work it out, where basically the entire blade to cover where I wanted the point of impact to go, and did manage to get some good groups out of it once I adjusted. This is typically easily fixed, though I'm not sure what options are available at this time.

Final verdict, with a better and more dialed in sight setup, this is candidate for carry. I will of course also need to follow up with some limp wristing tests, as well, but I have a good feeling it will pass (as did my traditional Shield).

Anyone else have the sighting issues I had? Anyone have any suggestion on a replacement? TIA.

~Bucky.
    Bucky - I'm using the Yellow Front version of these: https://www.amazon.com/AmeriGlo-Hack...s%2C97&sr=8-11 I find they shoot pretty much POA/POI with drive the dot.

Quote Originally Posted by psalms144.1 View Post
    Bucky - I'm using the Yellow Front version of these: https://www.amazon.com/AmeriGlo-Hack...s%2C97&sr=8-11 I find they shoot pretty much POA/POI with drive the dot.
    Thanks. I will check them out.

Anyone know what they sell in ban states? Do they include 2 short 10rd mags? Or one short 10rd and a blocked to 10 13rd mag? Or other?

User Tag List