Page 37 of 47 FirstFirst ... 273536373839 ... LastLast

Thread: New High Capacity Shield

I got a new 4" Plus on Monday!

Well, I took that 4" Shield Plus to the range again today - for the 2nd time.

I must say that I shoot it as well or better than my Berettas. I did very well at the farthest distance at the indoor range too (15 yards). And, out of all the guns I own, I do doubletaps with this gun the best.

I really think it is because of two reasons. One, I have small hands. I do like the feel of the 92FS in my hand. But, I have sold many guns over the years - because the grip is just too big for my hands... So, so many.

This Shield Plus does feel better than the thinner original Shield grip. It's "just right." I think I get a better grip on the gun for my size hands. I think that is why I shoot doubletaps better with this gun than any other gun I have owned.

And two, this new Shield Plus trigger is fantastic. It really helps with the accuracy...

And finally - I posted a few weeks ago about having a tough time seeing the front dot with my 50 year old eyes. I said that I could see a red dot optic is in my future because of age... And, I don't really care for red dots on pistols. But man, these fiber optic sights that S&W uses on their Performance Center models are just awesome. I like how they have a metal spiral around the light rod to protect them. Most fiber optics don't have that, and the light rods break so easily. Not on these....

These bright red and green dots solve my eye issues. That may be another reason why I shoot the gun so well.

Specifically with regard to the "Optics Ready" Shield Plus's (say for example, the new sku, number 13534) does anyone know the actual depth in thousandths of an inch of the optic cut?

I can't find one local to me that I can go look at, hence the question.

Thanks!

I got a Plus this weekend. A lightly used model with Trijicon HD XR sights (my preference) and an Overwatch Precision trigger already installed...with extra mags! I'm very impressed with it. Only a few rounds through it but I should be able to shoot it this week. It seems to hit the sweet spot that previous Shields and my Subcompact can't seem to fill. Here are a few pictures comparing it to my other M&Ps.
    Name:  PXL_20211101_015743260.jpg
Views: 809
Size:  43.8 KB
    Full-size, Compact, Subcompact, and Plus
    Name:  PXL_20211101_015858507.jpg
Views: 807
Size:  73.1 KB
    Length Comparison
    Name:  PXL_20211101_020258982.jpg
Views: 798
Size:  38.4 KB
    Compact, Subcompact w/mag extension, Plus with 13rd mag.

Name:  PXL_20211101_020358794.jpg
Views: 796
Size:  41.9 KB
    I'm looking forward to getting more familiar with this pistol. As soon as my JMCK order arrives I'm going to start transitioning to it as my EDC.

I've got 800 rds (50 rds of Federal HST, rest 115 gr. handloads) through my gun so far and I am extremely pleased. A couple of failures to lock back, probably due to my grip. One primer strike that didn't set a round off but it was my CCI primer handloads so not really worried about it. Have had those issues with all my other guns. Gun carries very well. Trigger is just excellent. As easy for me to hit targets shooting stationary from a bay as a full size gun. Haven't used it in a class yet so can't comment on much on drawing but no issues in dry firing. I carry with the extended mag so getting a good grip isn't much of an issue.

Cons - Gun is a little squirmy in my hands due to the thin grip - I will have to play around more and make adjustments as I do feel I could get some tighter groups. Changed out the sights (preference). Safety is like the other versions, needs to be bigger for those who want to actually use it. Mags are expensive but high quality.

Overall I think the gun is a home run and would have no problem recommending it at the top of a list of carry considerations.

Im curious if anyone has a Shield Plus and an original Shield and prefers the original. Im just trying to see if there is any benefit other than mag interchangeability with my wifes shield.

Quote Originally Posted by camsdaddy View Post
    Im curious if anyone has a Shield Plus and an original Shield and prefers the original. Im just trying to see if there is any benefit other than mag interchangeability with my wifes shield.
    I have a Gen1 Shield and a Plus. I don’t know that I’ll be spending any more time or ammunition with the older Shield. The differences between the two are subtle when looking at each individual change. But when you combine all of the subtle changes together, the difference between the the two guns is substantial.

If I could sell off my Gen1 Shield without having to lower the price to the point of giving it away, I would.

Quote Originally Posted by Beat Trash View Post
    I have a Gen1 Shield and a Plus. I don’t know that I’ll be spending any more time or ammunition with the older Shield. The differences between the two are subtle when looking at each individual change. But when you combine all of the subtle changes together, the difference between the the two guns is substantial.

If I could sell off my Gen1 Shield without having to lower the price to the point of giving it away, I would.
    Well stated BT, in agreement as I’m in a sim. situation both on the front end & disposing of my g1 Shield now but it is cut for a DP so …….

What To Do With My 1.0 once I get the Plus OR is a dilemma I'll probably be facing in a bit.

However, since it is a proven and reliable gun, and easy to pocket tote, it will probably become my designated pocket gun, for walks around the neighborhood, fishing trips, and so on.
    "You win 100% of the fights you avoid. If you're not there when it happens, you don't lose." - William Aprill
    "I've owned a guitar for 31 years and that sure hasn't made me a musician, let alone an expert. It's made me a guy who owns a guitar."- BBI

Quote Originally Posted by OldRunner/CSAT Neighbor View Post
    Well stated BT, in agreement as I’m in a sim. situation both on the front end & disposing of my g1 Shield now but it is cut for a DP so …….
    With that delima it may be worth considering getting a sheild plus trigger assembly off of evil bay, and putting in a 2.0 or APEX striker block (if its a 1.0) and stippling the frame (if its a 1.0 and not done already). I did the trigger upgrade pretty fast on my after handling the first shield plus that came in for a customer. You end up with a much more shootable pistol without sinking much more in it.The slightly wider grip and the extra capacity is nice but the 2.0 stiker block and the shield plus trigger are the biggest part of the improvement IMO comparing a 1.0 to a plus.
    Skinner Precision LLC official Account
    07 Manufacturer specializing in Competition Rifles

User Tag List