Page 35 of 47 FirstFirst ... 25333435363745 ... LastLast

Thread: New High Capacity Shield

Quote Originally Posted by Crow Hunter View Post
    The Shield Plus is actually more like a slimmer G26 than a 19, according to Handgun Hero.

I am personally *this close* to getting one to try out. I can't make up my mind if I want to try the Plus or the P365 XL, although I am leaning much more on the Plus side because I had a G43X and I didn't like it because of the recoil. I have watched a bunch of videos and the XL seems to have noticeably more recoil than the Shield plus, I really have some concern about the P365. I see too many random issues from rust to magazines spitting out cartridges to random non-backwards compatible changes that really give me the heebeejeebies about relying on one.

Right now, when I carry, I usually do so with a G19.5 but something smaller and lighter weight would be ideal. Something in the 25 oz 'ish loaded weight range would be great. While 30 oz loaded isn't that much more, it does make a difference. I have a little S&W 63 that I carry a lot while fishing and such and it is noticeably easier to carry than the G19.

If I could get a 9mm that was reasonably easy on the hand to shoot that would be around that weight wise, I would probably give up my 20+ year love affair with G19s.
    All of this ^^^.

Ditto on the G43X; a tungsten guide rod didn't really calm it down enough for me. Understanding recoil is person-specific, I found the gun a bit too snappish for me.

I share the feelings on the P365XL. "In the hand" it felt awesome, shooting it, the same. Mine gave me no trouble. I sold it because I just didn't really trust it enough. Perhaps unwise on my part (my impatience has cost me a few dollars, I have to say) but I wanted to move on.

My 19 MOS is developing into a solid option, just, as mentioned, I'd like something between it and the LCR for summer carry in a T-shirt. Which, to be honest, is most of the time for me in FL.

Upthread, a few folks posted about their experience with owning one.

With them being out for 6 months now, I'm looking for any more reports of round count, type of ammo, any common of systematic issues, that sort of thing? Anything along those lines folks can post would be appreciated.

On holsters: I looked at Dark Star Gear and Tom has a Hitchhiker for the Shield, but alas no left hand option. Tony at JM CK has a quick ship AIWB 2.5 Wing Claw, full guard, normal hole pattern, in orange, left. That would be my most likely selection. Might go with the DCC mono bloc clip this time. That holster seems to work well for my G19 MOS. Would there be any reason not to with the smaller Shield Plus?

I suspect I'll be picking one of these up, most likely the 3.1" 10 round steel sights, NTS, SKU 13249, soon.

Quote Originally Posted by RJ View Post
    All of this ^^^.

Ditto on the G43X; a tungten guide rod didn't really calm it down enough for me. Understanding recoil is person-specific, I found the gun a bit too snappish for me.

I share the feelings on the P365XL. "In the hand" it felt awesome, shooting it, the same. Mine gave me no trouble. I sold it because I just didn't really trust it enough. Perhaps unwise on my part (my impatience has cost me a few dollars, I have to say) but I wanted to move on.

My 19 MOS is developing into a solid option, just, as mentioned, I'd like something between it and the LCR for summer carry in a T-shirt. Which, to be honest, is most of the time for me in FL.

Upthread, a few folks posted about their experience with owning one.

With them being out for 6 months now, I'm looking for reports of round count, type of ammo, any common of systematic issues, that sort of thing? Anything along those lines folks can post would be appreciated. I suspect I'll be picking one of these up, most likely the 3.1" 10 round steel sights, NTS, SKU 13249, soon.

On holsters: I looked at Dark Star Gear and Tom has a Hitchhiker for the Shield, but alas no left hand option. Tony at JM CK has a quick ship AIWB 2.5 Wing Claw, full guard, normal hole pattern, in orange, left. That would be my most likely selection. Might go with the DCC mono bloc clip this time. That holster seems to work well for my G19 MOS. Would there be any reason not to with the smaller Shield Plus?
    Are you going to run a red dot on the Shield?
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    Not at this point.

Not steering in either direction as I am a fan equally of both JM and Dark star….Maybe ask Tom if he would make a left hand. He made me a left hand g48 holster last year or the year before when I broke my right hand.

Quote Originally Posted by newyork View Post
    Not steering in either direction as I am a fan equally of both JM and Dark star….Maybe ask Tom if he would make a left hand. He made me a left hand g48 holster last year or the year before when I broke my right hand.
    Ah...thanks for the info.

Actually that reminds me to ask a question, not sure how applicable it will be to most here. I need to give some background, first:

In 2016 or so, I had purchased a Walther PPS M2, and carried it behind the hip in a JM CK. Being a lefty, I thought the mag release was swapable, but I later found out you could not move it to the other side. (I've since just gotten used to it being set up for right handed people.)

I used the Walther when I took my first "real" handgun class with Gabe out in Clackamas Oregon, when I paid for some of his time 1:1 to observe how I was shooting and make some suggestions (Watching that video today is painful lol).

Anyway, what I found actually carrying the Walther as a lefty that the mag release had a tendency to unlatch the mag at times, with very light pressure on the button. Twice, I went to check the pistols condition and discovered that the mag was sitting loose. For a carry gun, a one-shot automatic is less than useful, so in the end I moved on from the Walther to a P30SK I think it was.

With that as a setup, does anyone know if there are any similar aspects of the Shield Plus that would be a detriment to a left hand shooter, such as a easily hit mag release, or inconvenient slide lock?

In many ways, the 365/XL has become the "Glock 19" of slimline pistols, based on ease of mounting an optic, magazines, grip stuff, and general support. However an attractive aspect of the Shield Plus got me, is how effortless it is to go back and forth with Glock pistols. The 365 points lower than the Plus and Glock, and takes a few presentations to work out.

In many ways, the 365/XL has become the "Glock 19" of slimline pistols, based on ease of mounting an optic, magazines, grip stuff, and general support. However an attractive aspect of the Shield Plus got me, is how effortless it is to go back and forth with Glock pistols. The 365 points lower than the Plus and Glock, and takes a few presentations to work out.
    If you could only have one or the other, which would you choose and why?

(Or would you just pick something else entirely?)

I'm not GJM, but I had both the XL and Shield Plus, and I sold the XL. The Shield Plus is just a much better pistol for me, even given the extra cost and butt pain of having to have it milled for an optic.

Quote Originally Posted by Crow Hunter View Post
    If you could only have one or the other, which would you choose and why?

(Or would you just pick something else entirely?)
    Fortunately I don't have to choose. I keep 43X, 365 and Shield Plus slimline pistols so my small pistol can be a smaller version of what I am shooting as a primary. The Shield Plus with the new trigger is very close to a CORE with an Apex FSS trigger. My wife really dislikes the stock trigger on a 2.0 because it has long and light pre travel and then breaks so far back. Same with the DCAEK. My buddy who competes with a 2.0 five inch has fitted Apex FSS triggers with heavier springs to his carry 2.0 M&P pistols.

Quote Originally Posted by psalms144.1 View Post
    I'm not GJM, but I had both the XL and Shield Plus, and I sold the XL. The Shield Plus is just a much better pistol for me, even given the extra cost and butt pain of having to have it milled for an optic.
    I did the opposite.

I much prefer the P365XL with a manual safety over just about everything else in that size category. The P365XL has made just about every other compact/subcompact 9mm semi-auto obsolete for me.

User Tag List