Page 16 of 47 FirstFirst ... 6141516171826 ... LastLast

Thread: New High Capacity Shield

I got to shoot my Plus lower with a 2.0 four inch upper today. The combo ran reliably and had no POI shift with the new lower. I have a mild preference for a 43X over a 48, but pretty strong preference for the four inch slide on the Shield. The four inch Shield defaults to a go fast mode for me if I don’t pay attention, which is different than with some other slim line pistols where I need to push. With the caveat that I don’t shoot irons much these days, this is the four inch slide on a Plus lower shooting an array of paper and steel.

Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

This is stupid, but S&W needs to reevaluate their nomenclature decisions. ‘M&P 9 Shield Plus’ is a mouthful. I don’t know why, but I think people like numbers better. I understand why they started using the “M&P” brand again, but why couldn’t we get “M3.0” or something like that? I feel like I’m going to have to visit Lane Bryant or DXL men’s to buy stuff for it.

Quote Originally Posted by Hot Cereal View Post
    This is stupid, but S&W needs to reevaluate their nomenclature decisions. ‘M&P 9 Shield Plus’ is a mouthful. I don’t know why, but I think people like numbers better. I understand why they started using the “M&P” brand again, but why couldn’t we get “M3.0” or something like that? I feel like I’m going to have to visit Lane Bryant or DXL men’s to buy stuff for it.
    I felt the same way when telling an inquiring person that i was shooting a Wilson Combat Brigadier Tactical Beretta 92, back when.

As soon as these have been out about 4-6 months and I haven't heard any consistent horror stories I am all over this. The Shield has always been my favorite micro-9. Too bad ammo is so pricey because I doubt we will have many high round count reviews.

Quote Originally Posted by Greg Bell View Post
    As soon as these have been out about 4-6 months and I haven't heard any consistent horror stories I am all over this. The Shield has always been my favorite micro-9. Too bad ammo is so pricey because I doubt we will have many high round count reviews.
    The only thing that has materially changed is the lower is larger and takes MecGar magazines — the top end is vintage 2.0 Shield technology.

Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    The only thing that has materially changed is the lower is larger and takes MecGar magazines — the top end is vintage 2.0 Shield technology.
    A completely new magazine design is a pretty substantial change. Aren't magazines the primary failure point of semi-auto firearms?
    My posts only represent my personal opinion and do not necessarily reflect the opinions or official policies of any employer, past or present. Obvious spelling errors are likely the result of an iPhone keyboard.

Quote Originally Posted by DanM View Post
    A completely new magazine design is a pretty substantial change. Aren't magazines the primary failure point of semi-auto firearms?
    Sure can be, but I would take a MecGar magazine over what Sig uses in the 365 family, the Shield Glock mags and even the legacy old M&P Shield mags. The new MecGar Shield mags feel very high quality — just like other OEM mags made by MecGar. Like HK mags, MecGar is top of the magazine food chain.

Here are some close ups of the new magazines. I am using a 2.0 upper on the Plus lower, but still have my legacy lower and magazines for back up, which is a neat feature of the Shield Plus.

Name:  5D352121-F700-4D5E-93D1-B4464F9E50FF.jpg
Views: 590
Size:  37.2 KB

Name:  6AA8A890-47D3-49C8-9817-CC448D78FF86.jpg
Views: 593
Size:  36.9 KB

Name:  B31A4913-2EA6-4F0B-BD00-006A5327956C.jpg
Views: 596
Size:  38.1 KB

Mec-Gar being the OEM for the mags definitely gives me the warm and fuzzies as opposed to other potential options. I look forward to hearing about your continued experiences with your example.
    My posts only represent my personal opinion and do not necessarily reflect the opinions or official policies of any employer, past or present. Obvious spelling errors are likely the result of an iPhone keyboard.

Sure can be, but I would take a MecGar magazine over what Sig uses in the 365 family, the Shield Glock mags and even the legacy old M&P Shield mags. The new MecGar Shield mags feel very high quality — just like other OEM mags made by MecGar. Like HK mags, MecGar is top of the magazine food chain.
    I am with you. I am just paranoid. H&K is really the only company I will buy a product from day one. I lump Beretta, Glock and Smith in the second batch (6 months or so). I lump Springfield and Ruger in the third batch (1 year). I lump SIG, High-point and Rogak in the fourth batch (2-3 years)

User Tag List