Page 32 of 47 FirstFirst ... 22303132333442 ... LastLast

Thread: New High Capacity Shield

Ameriglo hacks

I have the hacks on my Glock 21. They help these old eyes pick up the front sight easily. Front sight orange globe with tritium insert. Wide rear sight notch to easily acquire front sight. They work for me.

Quote Originally Posted by Mitch View Post
    I want to buy one of these (and most likely will at some point), but right now I’m wondering what this gets me over the glock 26 I already have? It’s a little narrower, about the same weight, and a little taller. Other than the excitement of a new gun, would I really be gaining much over what I already have?
    Both I and my buddy have ditched the G26 in favor of the Shield +. Slimmer and a bit lighter makes for easier light clothing carry. I find the Shield + to be easier to shoot well than the G26.

If you have a G26 that you're carrying as a BUG for a 19 or 17, it makes no sense to switch, IMHO. If you're carrying the G26 as a primary, it's worth giving the Plus a whirl. Price on these has come way down - seeing several places online at $449-$459, and Cabela's/Bass Pro is selling them for $479...

Site Supporter
    So I finally got to the range today. Put 75 rounds through each pistol. 25 147gr. HST and 50 of my 147gr. HP reloads. Not an exhaustive test by any means, but enough to get an idea of function and to check the zero on our sights. (Yes I would rather do the minimum 500 rounds of fmj and 100 of carry ammo, but that's not realistic given the ammunition situation and prices. I spent over $100 just getting 100 rounds of new HST for carry.) Can't give my wife's impressions of the pistol as that will be a few more weeks, due to her shoulder surgery.

The slight palm swell of the grips is a huge improvement over the old slab side design of the previous versions. The new stipple texture is just right to me at least. The flat trigger is outstanding for an out of the box striker fired pistol. On our two examples, I see no need to change them at all. My wife's is 4.6 lbs. out of the box, and mine was 6 lbs. but has now dropped to 5 lbs. after cleaning/lube and some dry and live fire. I had to drift my rear sight as my shots were approximately 1 inch left. My wife's pistol was on for windage and about an inch high on elevation.

So far I'm very impressed.
    Be Aware-Stay Safe. Gunfighting Is A Thinking Man's Game. So We Might Want To Bring Thinking Back Into It.

I traded in my old seldom carried Kahr PM9 for a new Shield Plus. Got to put some rounds thru it about a week ago. Dinging steel plates @ 25 yds. was easy. The original Shield grip "feels" flat on the sides. Like gripping a 1X3 board. Very concealable but no feel. The Plus is approx. 1/10" wider which should be insignificant. However, the grip has more of a roundness / palm swell which gives it a good feel. The newer texturing of the grip is a bit more subdued but works very well. I found my Kahr PM9 rotated in my hand during use.The roundness of the Plus grip was the selling factor for me. I really like my Shield 45 but always wished the sides of the grips had a bit of a palm swell.

No issues thru 200 rounds. Seems to like the Fed HST 124 +P. I found loading the 13 rd. mag full to be quite the chore. I loaded them several days in advance but to date loading by hand is still takes a bit of effort. I noticed the take down lever is a bit tight too but that's no issue.

The trigger is very good for a striker fired pistol. +A to S&W. The "straight" trigger with a more "Glock-like" safety has a little creep at the beginning, breaks very clean, and has a short reset you can feel and hear. The lever within the trigger is wider and unnoticeable when firing. The slide release was a two thumber to release prior to some shooting. After a couple of mag changes it's just right.

I much prefer the grip angle and trigger of this pistol to the Glock. However, I do wish the bore height was just a bit lower ala Glock. With that said, this is a soft shooting little 9mm.

I'm happy with the trade. Using a Wild Bill Concealment Pocket holster for now. I will be getting something better as this holster's design does not cleanly release the pistol while drawing.

JW
    Attached Images Attached Images   

Been carrying a Shield since they came out. Currently carry either a Gen 1 Shield 9, Shield M2.0 9 or Shield 45. I was really looking at the P365 XL until the Shield Plus came out. I am pretty much torn now. The plus for going with a Shield plus is all my holsters will work. The P365 XL pro I see is it comes ready to go out of the bix, where the Shield I would change out the sights. Also, at LE/MIL pricing I can get a P365 XL for less money and they seem easier to find. Really going to be a hard choice!

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by claymore504 View Post
    Been carrying a Shield since they came out. Currently carry either a Gen 1 Shield 9, Shield M2.0 9 or Shield 45. I was really looking at the P365 XL until the Shield Plus came out. I am pretty much torn now. The plus for going with a Shield plus is all my holsters will work. The P365 XL pro I see is it comes ready to go out of the bix, where the Shield I would change out the sights. Also, at LE/MIL pricing I can get a P365 XL for less money and they seem easier to find. Really going to be a hard choice!
    Brownells has the Thumb Safety and No Safety versions for $535. Hope this helps.

Name:  Shields Plus.jpg
Views: 653
Size:  86.1 KB
    Last edited by MDFA; 07-27-2021 at 01:43 PM.
    Be Aware-Stay Safe. Gunfighting Is A Thinking Man's Game. So We Might Want To Bring Thinking Back Into It.

If it helps I sold my P365 after getting the Shield Plus.

I've fired both before making my decision. The Plus was easier to control mostly due to it being a bit larger, no twisting in my hand during rapid fire. The Shield Plus trigger is the better of the two not to say the Sig trigger was bad, just a bit more creep. I blacked out the white dots on the back sight. Works better but will be putting Ameriglo Hackathorn sighs on soon. No wrong answer, just what fits your need(s) best.

JW

As invested in Shields as you are I think the Shield + is the answer. You are already set up with holsters and familiar with the platform. That will offset the difference in cost of sights and pricing. I have not held a P365XL but find the 365 to small for my relatively small hands. I bought a 365 to pocket carry and returned to my 642 as I couldnt get a good grip on the 365.

Quote Originally Posted by camsdaddy View Post
    As invested in Shields as you are I think the Shield + is the answer. You are already set up with holsters and familiar with the platform. That will offset the difference in cost of sights and pricing. I have not held a P365XL but find the 365 to small for my relatively small hands. I bought a 365 to pocket carry and returned to my 642 as I couldnt get a good grip on the 365.
    That's me as well CD, still rocking my gen.1 Shield w/ a DP on top but w/ 10+ mags. & a few holsters I may add a gen. 2+ in addition to the often carried 642.

User Tag List