Page 5 of 47 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast

Thread: New High Capacity Shield

Site Supporter
    I like the idea of the same size slide as the standard shield. I hope there is just enough girth added to the grip to prevent the gun from twisting when I shoot it. I will be interested to see how these work out and look forward to shooting one.

One of the best things is I know that if I buy one and there is an issue a call to S&W will get a call tag and they will take care of it.

Very interesting. Only thing I would have liked to see is a grip length slightly longer, akin to the G43X/48. This would make it somewhat of a polymer Model 39 ish type pistol, but more compact. With a 4" barrel, it would serve well as a duty gun for folks with smaller hands. I would bet the capacity of such could have been bumped up to fifteen easily. Perhaps 17. In any event, I'm a big fan of the Shield platform and am supposed to be to get my hands on one Thursday after this. I see a 4 inch optics ready (or a milling job) one of these in my future.

Quote Originally Posted by CWM11B View Post
    Very interesting. Only thing I would have liked to see is a grip length slightly longer, akin to the G43X/48. This would make it somewhat of a polymer Model 39 ish type pistol, but more compact. With a 4" barrel, it would serve well as a duty gun for folks with smaller hands. I would bet the capacity of such could have been bumped up to fifteen easily. Perhaps 17. In any event, I'm a big fan of the Shield platform and am supposed to be to get my hands on one Thursday after this. I see a 4 inch optics ready (or a milling job) one of these in my future.
    Being 5" height, it is the size of a 43x albeit accomplished with a sleeve rather than the grip permanently being that size.

I can see why folks don't like that but for my uses, in a gun this size, i value the extra concealment of running a flush mag(when clothing calls for it) over reload speed. This makes it easier to do than having a 43x and needing to buy a 43 to swap frames when needed.

No company will ever please everybody. I like this compromise personally.

Quote Originally Posted by backtrail540 View Post
    in a gun this size, i value the extra concealment of running a flush mag(when clothing calls for it) over reload speed. This makes it easier to do than having a 43x and needing to buy a 43 to swap frames when needed.
    Completely concur. In this market segment, I'm looking for the most concealable pistol that offers the best performance and payload. If I want/need a "real fighting gun," I'll carry that. This application, IMHO, is for the most capable gun you can carry when you can't carry a real gun.

I'm definitely interested, my Shield in 45 ACP was a great shooter, just too much of a good thing for my aging wrists and elbows. A 10-shot 9mm Shield that's only slightly wider than the original in the grip could be just what the doctor ordered - especially since it comes from the factory optics ready.

Brownell's now has them on pre order. The pricing though. Ouch!

Just listed on Palmetto at $549. I agree that's an "ouch" based on previous sub-$300 Shield sales, but, it isn't crazy bad in COVID days...

Quote Originally Posted by psalms144.1 View Post
    Just listed on Palmetto at $549. I agree that's an "ouch" based on previous sub-$300 Shield sales, but, it isn't crazy bad in COVID days...
    About the same price as the legacy 2.0 Shields have been selling for. I have one inbound and can’t wait to confirm my legacy 2.0 slides work on the new Plus lower.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

Quote Originally Posted by backtrail540 View Post
    Being 5" height, it is the size of a 43x albeit accomplished with a sleeve rather than the grip permanently being that size.

I can see why folks don't like that but for my uses, in a gun this size, i value the extra concealment of running a flush mag(when clothing calls for it) over reload speed. This makes it easier to do than having a 43x and needing to buy a 43 to swap frames when needed.

No company will ever please everybody. I like this compromise personally.
    I get that, and ran a fleet of Shields in my former full time life, and run another for a current client. I really like the platform, however, I discussed the specs I mentioned with Smith reps several years ago as a potential dual use pistol. With a four inch bbl, it would be a great alternative duty pistol. The shorter bbl for the concealment side of the house. I get the height deal very well. I was always looking for equipment solutions to physiological/ergonomic challenges. Many officers were your size or smaller. I had one who was 4'6". A bodyguard .380 damn near looked duty sized in her hand

Modding this sack of shit BehindBlueI's's Avatar
    Sorta around sometimes for some of your shitty mod needs.

This was a very 'meh' product announcement. It was necessary for S&W, but this just isn't exciting. I am not going to rush out to replace my current Shield with a Shield Plus. Three rounds and a new trigger just aren't enough for me. No rail, no larger option, etc. I'm sure we'll see PC versions, RDS milled versions, etc., but we probably won't see the gun that would really be a "Glock 19" (and other guns in that class) killer- ~4in barrel, Pic rail, 5in overall height with a (Factory, not Shield Arms) 13+ round capacity. Or, better yet, a full size model with ambidextrous controls and 15+ round capacity. That would be a helluva duty pistol.

User Tag List