Page 36 of 47 FirstFirst ... 26343536373846 ... LastLast

Thread: New High Capacity Shield

I was able to locate a rental Shield Plus to shoot today.

Gun had (according to the store) approximately 500 rounds; s/n was "JHAxnnn", if I recall correctly. They issued it to me with the 13 round mag.

I compared it shooting with my Glock 19 MOS+Holosun 507c EDC as well as my Ruger LCR .38. I used American Eagle 115 FMJ range ammo for the 9mm, and S&B 158 g wadcutters shooting the LCR. (I normally have the snubby loaded with Federal Gold Medal Match 158 g wadcutters for carry.) Range varied from 5 to 10 yards.

Name:  IMG_9677.jpg
Views: 1077
Size:  46.5 KB

Objective Comments

The two compare favorably size-wize:

Name:  IMG_9676.jpg
Views: 1074
Size:  83.3 KB

Based on research on weights and measures here and online, I've setup a spreadsheet comparison of these three, with both Shield options, below.

Name:  capture.jpg
Views: 1054
Size:  25.6 KB

Weight = loaded and chambered for carry, with an allowance for a kydex holster (i.e. the weight of the rig, bedside).

Oz per round of the Plus compares favorably with oz/round metrics for other pistols I've owned, used, especially loaded with the 13, although I would carry it flat. (FWIW, the lowest oz/round number I've calculated was a G43X+Shield Arms S15 mag).

I shot perhaps 35 rounds, and had zero malfunctions. I had no issues as a lefty, or with the mag release, which seemed "normal". The order was to shoot my G19, then the Plus, then the LCR, then back to the Plus.

Subjective Comments

Pistol was accurate for me, a lefty. This was the first round at five yards. The circle is a B-8 Black (5.54") and the aiming dot is 0.5".

Name:  IMG_9678.jpg
Views: 1046
Size:  58.7 KB

I had to adjust to the iron sights again. I was looking from the sights, to the target, and back. I realized how much more I like shooting dots. It's just so effortless compared to irons. I had to carefully align the front and rear, then remember to center on the target. With a dot, it's see dot, press trigger. I think "for me" where I am at this point (I'm about six months into dots) the time it takes to align irons, then align the target, is about the same as I am aligning the dot. My dot index has improved of late; obviously not the same but I shot my G34 yesterday at 25 yards two handed unsupported for a 95-3X, after last weeks 95-0X. Dots are no joke.

So I didn't like the sights.

What else?

The gun felt about like most of the small thin 9mms. I didn't perceive as particularly soft or hard, relative to the G48 / P365 / P365XL. I would score the recoil impulse from softest to hardest as G48 -> P365XL -> Shield Plus/P365 (tie) -> G43X.

I shot my LCR and Plus back to back, and the recoil was about the same.

The trigger was awesome, maybe too awesome. It seemed this one had a very short travel up to a crisp break.

The gun did not squirm while shooting, something I still vividly remember shooting a Shield 1.0, many years ago. The grip seems about perfect, albeit I wished they had the 10 round mag available. The texture was neither rough nor smooth.

I think for what the gun is, S&W will sell a bunch of them.

At the end of my rifle day yesterday, I got a wild hair, and pulled out my 507K-G equipped Shield Plus, put the "donut of death" around the 12" steel plate at the 100 yard line, and went 10 for 11 hits shooting seated from the bench. Filled with hubris, I reloaded with 13, and stood up, then went 0:3 on the 4" plate, 1:3 on the 6" plate, 1:3 on the 8" plate, and 3:4 on the 12" plate. This pistol will flat shoot.

Tried the same with my iron-sighted Gen5 G19, and, not surprisingly, the results were nowhere near as good. I was only 6:10 from the bench on the 12" plate, and 2:5 standing. Maybe this dot thing is actually a thing...

Double tap

New optics ready Shield Plus. Non Performance Center.

https://www.smith-wesson.com/product...preselect=true

SKU 13534, list price $595. Spec sheet says "Optics Ready". Press release says "Shield SMS" footprint.

https://www.smith-wesson.com/article...w-optics-ready

Views: 793
Size:  33.8 KB

Would a HS 507k mount on this slide directly with no mods?
    Last edited by RJ; 10-06-2021 at 01:39 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by RJ View Post

SKU 13534, list price $595. Spec sheet says "Optics Ready". Press release says "Shield SMS" footprint.

No, the Holosun foot print is different. You would have to remove the back two ears and lower the two front ears to .029" to mount if directly. I performed the mod on a G43x slide. It's pretty straight forward and not difficult. Dremel sanding drum, calipers and a hard stone.
    Last edited by medmo; 10-06-2021 at 02:43 PM.

Rich as an alternative just source a 4” + non OR like I did recently. Picking it up today from my local smith who cut it for my 507K- GRN, all thx. to my holster enabler aka GJM.

When they make the 4" version I will be very tempted to get one of these.

I would like to see them make the Shield Plus with a 3.750" inch barrel and with a picatinny rail dust cover to the end of the slide, for a better light mount option. While they are at it, also enlarge the trigger guard some and give it an RMR/ Holosun optics cut.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Biggy View Post
    I would like to see them make the Shield Plus with a 3.750" inch barrel and with a picatinny rail dust cover to the end of the slide, for a better light mount option. While they are at it, also enlarge the trigger guard some and give it an RMR/ Holosun optics cut.
    Exactly this. While I love my Shield plus and it’s my favorite micro for sure, I would like to see the 3.0 to have the features you mentioned.

Magazines might be coming more available, I was in a shop today that had close to ten on the display pegs.

User Tag List