Page 15 of 47 FirstFirst ... 5131415161725 ... LastLast

Thread: New High Capacity Shield

If S&W is listening, they need to offer 3.1 and 4 inch Shield Plus models with unported barrels, and factory cut for the RMSc footprint, so you don’t have to buy their red dot, porting and fiber sights.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    If S&W is listening, they need to offer 3.1 and 4 inch Shield Plus models with unported barrels, and factory cut for the RMSc footprint, so you don’t have to buy their red dot, porting and fiber sights.
    Yep. That's what I'm waiting on.

My Plus 3.1 isn't ported or Optics ready
    Shield of Protection

New High Capacity Shield

Actually put hands on one finally. Was very impressed. Grip feels good and like has been said here. Is surprisingly not much bigger then the original shield. But enough that it fills the hand. I liked the 13rnd mag in her and it felt like the 43x at 10rnds.

Trigger was a hell of a lot better then my gen 1 shield. Lgs wanted 625$ otd for it. So that was crap.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I’ve owned several Shield 1.0’s for four or five years. I picked up my new Shield Plus yesterday and my heart sank when I reached in the box and grabbed it by the grip. I was sure the seller had sent the single column pistol instead. I quickly flipped it over and saw “Shield Plus” on the slide. I can’t believe how thin this thing is!
    If it weren’t for the texture, if blindfolded, I’d have a hard time deciding which version I was holding. Just great!

Skip

I shot my Shield Plus again today. I like my other slim line pistols, the 43X/48 and 365/365XL, but the Plus is my favorite shooting small pistol. I can’t wait for my RMSc milled slide to get back, so the Plus can become my slim line EDC.

I shot my Shield Plus again today. I like my other slim line pistols, the 43X/48 and 365/365XL, but the Plus is my favorite shooting small pistol. I can’t wait for my RMSc milled slide to get back, so the Plus can become my slim line EDC.
    Would you be willing to do a compare and contrast between them?

I think your experiences with all three combined would be quite illuminating.

Quote Originally Posted by Crow Hunter View Post
    Would you be willing to do a compare and contrast between them?

I think your experiences with all three combined would be quite illuminating.
    I like that the 43X can use a SCD, and I like that the magazines are rust resistant by virtue of being polymer. I dislike how the magazine bases protrude below the grip, adding length. Glock pistols require dedication to shoot well, and if you are not shooting a Glock as primary, the trigger can be harder to shoot straight when going fast.

The 365 and XL have become a great ecosystem, with factory optic options in 365 and XL length slides, and the ability to swap uppers and lowers in different sizes. I really don’t have complete confidence in the magazines, and the Sig drop thing is always in my thoughts.

The Shield and Shield Plus just feel good cycling when I shoot them quickly. The Plus texture is awesome. I trust MecGar magazines by reputation, plus how the rounds feel when they go into the magazine. I like that you can swap uppers and lowers and between 2.0 legacy and Plus. It is annoying that don’t offer a MOS a or optics ready variant that doesn’t involve their optic.

Here is my Plus lower with a four inch legacy 2.0 upper.

Name:  2C9339A7-92C4-47B6-988C-F064DD3208BE.jpg
Views: 655
Size:  93.2 KB

It is annoying that don’t offer a MOS a or optics ready variant that doesn’t involve their optic.

Name:  2C9339A7-92C4-47B6-988C-F064DD3208BE.jpg
Views: 655
Size:  93.2 KB
    Is not the crimson trace a rebranded shield sms? My plan was to just dump that dot in the trash and drop on an rmsc because it shares a footprint - at least that was my understanding, or am i wrong?

I doubt they will offer it without the optic at this time as this is a hot item and S&W owns Crimson Trace now, allowing them to double dip in sales.
    I'm reasonably certain that ATEI will mill these for 407/507k which is probably the ideal setup for these guns.

Re: Reliability - S&W is always super quick to fix stuff when you need parts over the phone, I'm fairly certain that they will ship you an extractor free if you called and asked. There is also a plethora of readily available spares from dealers. You can buy a metric shit ton of parts at a pretty low cost from MGW, Numrich or Brownells, pretty much every part of the gun is available for under $20 other than the slide and barrel which themselves sell for considerably less than their Glock or Sig counterparts. The S&W law enforcement share is pretty big and from my experience with large local agencies and my own, the guns have proven to be extremely reliable in long term use for all of the 2nd gen M&P guns (which are identified by not being marked "Stainless" on the slide and having a coil pin for the extractor). As an armorer myself, I have nothing but the highest faith in S&W.

The shield itself has proven to be probably one of the most reliable "mini" pistols out there. The 43x and 48 seem to have some problems that have not been fully worked out yet as evidenced by the other thread referencing the short window of function on them and short RSA lifespan. The only complaint you typically hear about it is the lack of capacity which caused it to be more or less superseded by the P365. Now with the plus, I don't see any reason why it shouldn't reign as the king once more.
    Last edited by sickeness; 03-27-2021 at 02:45 AM.

User Tag List