Page 22 of 47 FirstFirst ... 12202122232432 ... LastLast

Thread: New High Capacity Shield

Just talked to Smith & Wesson they received my gun. They said 6-8 weeks.

Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    which are obviously tested with many, many of these units in circulation.
    I think I remember reading that it was/is their highest volume product?

A quick non-firing observations on the Plus.

New grip texture: touted by S&W as "Based off consumer feedback around the M2.0™ grip texture, we’ve implemented a more balanced texture. The stippling allows the user to manage recoil, keep a firm grip, and not irritate the skin while carrying concealed." I don't think anyone at S&W carried one of these against bare skin at any point. Fail here on that, but on a positive note it is VERY grippy.

Aside from that I find no real detractions from the Plus. In fact I will be dumping my 1.0 for one of these very soon (with a Talon Grip added to avoid road rash).
    "Detached reflection cannot be demanded in the presence of an uplifted knife." - Justice Oliver Wendell Holmes, Brown v. United States, 256 U.S. 335 (1921)

Site Supporter
    I finally was able to hold a plus yesterday. I'm impressed with the capacity. It doesn't feel that much larger than the standard shield. My complaint with the the shield and single stacks is they seem to twist in my hand. I don't think the plus is going to add enough girth to make a difference to me.

Looking for some input based on actual use and experience from those carrying the Shield Plus. I've been offered an even exchange - my Kahr PM9 for a Shield Plus. I pocket carry my PM9 as a BUG. It fulfills this role very well. Would the Plus be a bit too large for this? My work pants are cargo style pants. The front pocket (not the cargo pocket) is somewhat spacious.

I have a Shield in 45acp. It is just a bit big for this role.

My other concern is the price of the Plus will probably come down some in time whereas my PM9 seems to be holding it's value.

Thanks

JW

Quote Originally Posted by Dcowboyscr View Post
    Just talked to Smith & Wesson they received my gun. They said 6-8 weeks.
    Yuck. That really sucks

Quote Originally Posted by Pit View Post
    Looking for some input based on actual use and experience from those carrying the Shield Plus. I've been offered an even exchange - my Kahr PM9 for a Shield Plus. I pocket carry my PM9 as a BUG. It fulfills this role very well. Would the Plus be a bit too large for this? My work pants are cargo style pants. The front pocket (not the cargo pocket) is somewhat spacious.

My other concern is the price of the Plus will probably come down some in time whereas my PM9 seems to be holding it's value.

Thanks

JW
    I think a PM9 has a more pocket friendly trigger, but the Plus outclasses the PM9 in every other way.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

Quote Originally Posted by Pit View Post

Thanks

JW
    Tell your friend I’ll trade him. I have two PM9s just gathering dust since the P365 came out.

I own a Shield Plus. I’ve also owned an original Shield since they first came out. The size difference between the Shield and the Plus isn’t such that it would change the ability to pocket carry from one gun to the other. They can be carried in the pocket, provided the pocket is larger. I would hook the rear sight with my thumb as I drew the gun out, which helped. But the Shield/Plus is pushing the upper limits of pocket carry in my mind.

I owned a Kahr PM9 for a lot of years. Great gun to slip in a pocket. That greatness dropped off rapidly for me when it came time to actually shoot the thing. Especially given my hand size. Which is large with long fingers.

I think hand size in relation to the size and diameter of the grip is something often left out when discussing small 9mm’s. I own a P365 that I can shoot, if shooting slowly. Pick up the pace even a little and my ability to shoot the gun goes down, because the grip diameter is just too small for me to maintain a solid hold on the gun. Others with smaller hands can rock that gun. Mechanically, it’s the same gun. But I might say the gun is junk because I can’t shoot it at speed while a smaller person might argue the gun is great. Still the same gun. But one size does not fit all.

Would I trade a PM9 for a Shield Plus? Yes I would. Because to me, the ability to carry the gun is important, but so is the ability to effectively put rounds on target. Is it a good trade for you? Depending on your build and hand size, maybe.

Quote Originally Posted by Beat Trash View Post
    I owned a Kahr PM9 for a lot of years. Great gun to slip in a pocket. That greatness dropped off rapidly for me when it came time to actually shoot the thing. Especially given my hand size. Which is large with long fingers.

I think hand size in relation to the size and diameter of the grip is something often left out when discussing small 9mm’s. I own a P365 that I can shoot, if shooting slowly. Pick up the pace even a little and my ability to shoot the gun goes down, because the grip diameter is just too small for me to maintain a solid hold on the gun. Others with smaller hands can rock that gun. Mechanically, it’s the same gun. But I might say the gun is junk because I can’t shoot it at speed while a smaller person might argue the gun is great. Still the same gun. But one size does not fit all.

Would I trade a PM9 for a Shield Plus? Yes I would. Because to me, the ability to carry the gun is important, but so is the ability to effectively put rounds on target. Is it a good trade for you? Depending on your build and hand size, maybe.
    All of this! I used to have a PM9, when it was the only truly ankle-friendly option on our "approved personal weapons" list. Loved carrying it, but the size/shape of my hands meant that I routinely unintentionally activated the magazine release when I took a strong two-hand grip on the pistol. Combine this with the fact that the magazine was completely enclosed by the "meat" of my not-overly large hands, and the magazine would be unlocked but held in the grip by friction - leading to a single-shot pistol. I didn't have issues shooting the gun accurately or at speed, but the reliability (plus the fact that the top round in the magazine would very frequently pop loose in the pocket or even in a mag pouch) made the pistol just not right for me.

Had similar issues with the G43 - it's just too thin for my hands (and I don't have huge hands). The P365 and XL FEEL great in my hand, but I find them very "squirmy" under recoil unless I grip them so hard I start getting pain in my wrists and elbows. The only "subcompact" I've shot that I didn't have this issue with was the Shield 2.0 I owned.

So, for me, I would trade a PM9 for a Shield Plus any day, and twice on Sunday. In fact, if I found someone with an optics ready Shield +, I'd swap my P365XL for it in a microsecond.

User Tag List