Page 40 of 47 FirstFirst ... 303839404142 ... LastLast

Thread: New High Capacity Shield

I have found getting the 13th round into the magazine that came with the pistol takes a bit of doing. I have left this mag loaded with 13 rds. for several months hoping it would help break in. No Joy. Still a mother. I just got two new 13 rd. M&P Shield Plus magazines in S&W packaging. I can not load them with 13 rds. It is a mother to load them with 12 rds.

The followers on the new mags are a bit more red than the 13 rounder that came with the pistol. Additionally, as earlier noted, the follower does extend higher out of the body. All lock the pistol open when the slide is pulled back by hand. Will try to get to the range to test these out soon.

JW
    Attached Images Attached Images   

Happy to report

So a week ago I received two 13-round magazines for my Shield Plus. Functional issues consisting of only able to load 12 rounds and mag followers sitting high in the mag body were observed. I loaded 12 rounds in each magazine. Tonight I unloaded both magazines. The magazine followers are the same height as the 13 rounder that came pistol. Still can only load 12 rounds. Both magazines now lock back the slide. The slide stop fully engages the corresponding notch on the slide. It seems these magazines need a week or so to find their good karma. Hope to hit the range in the next couple of days. Cautiously optimistic now.

I forced the 13th round into the 3x 13 rd magazines that I own. After being left loaded for a week, it felt like nothing changed.

Took all the magazines out and shot the gun. After reloading a few times, I suddenly realized that I could get the 13th round loaded easier.

I’d suggest you go shoot the gun a bit. See what happens.

My range trip Friday was before I received the new gun/mag.

But I did shoot A LOT to empty mag - (20 or so times). I found I was still not reliably getting slide locked back. I thought my thumbs were plenty far away from slide with my grip. I decided to wrap my SH thumb behind my WH thumb - instantly hit slide locking back every time. I believe for me, it was my thumb hitting slide release some point during recoil. I have started to change my grip with this gun to keep SH thumb behind other.

Got my 2 extra mags yesterday. Will have range trip with 3 new 13 rd mags this week and report back.
    The stupidity of some people never ceases to amaze me.

Humbly improving with CZ's.

Are those with difficulty loading 13 rounds doing so by hand or using a loader of some sort like a Uplula?

Hand

Quote Originally Posted by octagon View Post
    Are those with difficulty loading 13 rounds doing so by hand or using a loader of some sort like a Uplula?
    Both. Still not enough movement to load 13th round.

They are 13 round magazines in the sense that they are technically capable of fitting 13 cartridges in with effort, but most thoughtful shooters would carry them with 12 in the magazine. No different than my "13 round" Glock 23 magazines that I carry 12 in, or my 365 magazines that I carry one cartridge less than their listed capacity.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

The average gun owner is more obsessed with capacity than the things are important in a firearm.

HK is the only manufacturer I know that you can load their magazines full and insert them reasonably easy.

Gen 5 Glocks only seem to it need to be downloaded by one round. The Gen 2 and 3 that I have I download by two rounds as I believe it's more important to be able to insert a magazine under stress than have one extra round or two.

Another issue is many of the magazines loaded full put a lot of pressure on the slide and with a less than ideal master grip could cause an unwanted malfunction.

My shield plus is a 9 + 1 or a 11 + 1 blaster.

My G43X is a 9 + 1

My G5 g26 is 9 + 1

I just bought two new magazines and cannot get 13 into them either.

YMMV.

I’ve always completely filled my magazines to their advertised capacity. Every agency I’ve worked for has mandated that magazines be kept fully loaded regardless of whether the issued/approved guns were S&W M&Ps, Glocks, or Sig P320s/P365s. Every agency I known people at mandates the same thing. Some guns are definitely easier to seat a full magazine under a closed slide than others. You might just have to push a little more firmly while seating it to get it to lock in. I think if the magazine is advertised as holding 13 rounds it should load to 13, it should lock into the gun under a closed slide, and the gun should function when attempting to feed from a full magazine. If that’s not the case, you should contact the manufacturer because something isn’t right with the magazine.
    My posts only represent my personal opinion and do not necessarily reflect the opinions or official policies of any employer, past or present. Obvious spelling errors are likely the result of an iPhone keyboard.

User Tag List