Page 43 of 47 FirstFirst ... 334142434445 ... LastLast

Thread: New High Capacity Shield

Quote Originally Posted by miller_man View Post
    Was just recently reading on a local forum, guy who recently just got a NIB M&P 9 had his screws either cross threaded or way over torqued from the factory- stripped the screws 1st day, took to gunsmith and got them off only to break one of the screws off level with the slide. Was sending back to S&W with a 6 week expected turn around.
    My M2.0 Compact's threads were so tight one of the factory screws sheared installing the optic. I ended up taking it to a local gunsmith who was able to remove the screw. I had him chase the threads to the appropriate size and it was perfect. I think it was possibly a tolerance stacking issue with the finish. But who knows?

Site Supporter
    I saw the same thing at my lgs with two Hk pistols. My guess is that the drilling and tapping are done in Germany and the off spec screws made in China.

Between plowing snow, watching the playoffs, and in general being stuck inside; I took two of my 13rd Plus mags apart. The original mag's follower (dirty orange on right) is ever so slightly shorter than the newer mags. I think this may be the issue in not allowing a 13th round to be loaded. I can get the round very close to loading but just a wee bit off. I have not gotten a lot of range time lately so the new mags have little actual use.

Were some having issues with the slide not locking back on an empty mag so Mec-Gar did a modification? Even if I could get the 13th round to seat in the magazine the issue of getting it to seat in the pistol with the slide forward my arise.

JW
    Attached Images Attached Images  

I have both kinds also and the original was difficult to seat with 13. Newer are difficult to get 12 in.

The other thing that is lost on many (not aimed at the above poster) is with a mag with the last round forced in the amount of pressure on the slide possibly retarding the cycle and causing a FTE.

Also harder to seat a reload under pressure. But many are only concerned with how many rounds on board not if they can use them.

I always download mags for easier seating and to help avoid possible "limp wrist" malfs. If I think one or two rounds I down loaded the mags by is the difference I simply carry an extra mag.

Quote Originally Posted by Navin Johnson View Post
    I have both kinds also and the original was difficult to seat with 13. Newer are difficult to get 12 in.

The other thing that is lost on many (not aimed at the above poster) is with a mag with the last round forced in the amount of pressure on the slide possibly retarding the cycle and causing a FTE.

Also harder to seat a reload under pressure. But many are only concerned with how many rounds on board not if they can use them.

I always download mags for easier seating and to help avoid possible "limp wrist" malfs. If I think one or two rounds I down loaded the mags by is the difference I simply carry an extra mag.
    Totally agree with lot of this. Even though I have gotten all my 13rd mags to load all 13 and have tested (some, more still wanted) running and getting slide lock with new + original 13rd mags - I would and will carry/run practice/drills with only 12 loaded for reloads/spare mags. Also, I won't run 13+1 in the gun, gladly just load the 13 in mag, rack slide and carry. With the seemingly tight tolerances with the mags/gun - The risk of problems for just 1 additional round isn't worth it to me.
    The stupidity of some people never ceases to amaze me.

Humbly improving with CZ's.

I am happy with 12+1 for 100% function.

Also harder to seat a reload under pressure...
    Completely agree! The 13 round mag that came with the gun loads, loads / reloads with slide in battery, and locks the slide open when empty. I was just puzzled why the newer mags do not function as advertised. What issue was being addressed with the follower mod? Don't sell it as a 13 rd mag if it is not. I can decide for myself if I prefer to download by a round or not. My 30rd AR mags are still loaded with 28. Common practice from my active SWAT days.

JW

Horsepower sells......

Just like with ammunition velocity sells ....

Look at all the overdriven boutique ammunition company bullets.

Capacity sells

I believe the VP9 wasn't even brought into some department trial because it didn't hold enough ammunition.....

Horsepower sells......

Just like with ammunition velocity sells ....

Look at all the overdriven boutique ammunition company bullets.

Capacity sells

I believe the VP9 wasn't even brought into some department trial because it didn't hold enough ammunition.....

Yep. Never been a selling point for me. My BHP's still eat from 13rd mags. The old Mec Gar 15 are not 100% good so they are for the range.

Since the Shield plus will be released in .30 and the .30 is being sold as 20% more capacity maybe that is the reason for the new follower (to ensure the 20%)

User Tag List