Page 42 of 47 FirstFirst ... 324041424344 ... LastLast

Thread: New High Capacity Shield

I have shield plus already in the inventory, however I was just looking at picking up an optics ready model to slap a holosun on. Wouldn’t this plate make it a grab and go option? Or would I still need to make the modifications listed above?

https://chpws.com/product/sw-mp-shie...sun-407k-507k/

Quote Originally Posted by medmo View Post
    No, the Holosun foot print is different. You would have to remove the back two ears and lower the two front ears to .029" to mount if directly. I performed the mod on a G43x slide. It's pretty straight forward and not difficult. Dremel sanding drum, calipers and a hard stone.
    Quote Originally Posted by frozentundra View Post
    I found this. I think it's been posted here before, but I'd forgotten the details. Apparently it's a similar footprint, but bosses likely need to be removed and reduced. Life is harder than it needs to be.

https://optics-info.com/footprints-on-red-dot-sights/

A modification of the Shield standard
    Important Notes

Holosun 407K and Holosun 507K feature a modification of the Shield footprint. The differences are:

the two rear sockets are missing
    the sockets in the front are shallower
    For this reason, some pistols that are optic ready for Shield footprint need to be modified for the 407 and 507K. Namely, the two rear indexing lugs on the pistol have to be removed and the two front indexing lugs shortened in height. Hellcat and Walther PPS are examples of such pistols (some pistols, such as Sig Sauer P365XL, do not have to be modified).
    Looked pretty hard into this. It is definitely not as simple as grinding down rear bosses and shortening front bosses. The screws that come with the 407/507k have smaller head diameter for sitting flush in the holosun optic. Also, they are not the same thread as the screws for the jpoint/shield/crimson trace dot. The screws that come with the crimson trace dot don't work for a few reasons on the holosun optic. Also, 6x32 screws that are common rmr/sro mounting screws are right thread, too short and wrong head diameter to fit onto 407/507k optic.

I have a 507k and a the new shield plus with crimson trace optic cut and worked on it for a while but come away empty. Also, looked at McCarr and other websites for screws - I think the holosun screws that sit flush in the optic are custom made. Or at least I felt I would be gambling/guessing on ordering what I hoped would be right screws, also not too long or too short and be of good quality, not just right dimensions to fit the threads. I took all that into consideration before I started grinding down bosses and decided against it.

Hopefully that CH plate will work or they will come out with one soon that is made just for converting the shield/crimson trace cut to a 407/507k mount. Will definitely be getting one if so.
    The stupidity of some people never ceases to amaze me.

Humbly improving with CZ's.

Couple updates -

Emailed chpws, heard back in about 4 hours. Said yes that plate is the exact adapter plate to convert a factory optic cut from S&W to a 407/507k. Was listed as backordered on 12/22 but was able to place in cart and order - I ordered one. Then yesterday received email update that my order was updated to shipped! Look forward to receiving and installing it.

Also, I received my 2nd shield plus - 4" performance center with crimson trace optic.

My original shield plus has about 450-600 rounds through it now and couple weeks of just about daily dry fire, including slide lock reloads.

1st thing I noticed with the new shield was how TIGHT the gun is - especially the slide lock lever. Just putting the slide locked back and especially releasing the slide with the slide lock is very tough, stiff and hard on the thumb. Also, the recoil spring seems little stiffer making it take just a little more effort to rack the slide. Noticeable as well was the trigger was not as good and the grip was pretty grippy, I have definitely already worn my original down a bit which is a little preferred for carrying iwb.

I had the new 13rd mag that came with the gun and compared it to the 2 additional ones I ordered from sportmans warehouse - I did not notice any real difference in the looks, shape or color of the followers.

I took the gun to the range with new mags yesterday and also on Tuesday. Shot about 30 quick rounds sighting in the dot on tuesday - got it good enough for 2" dots at 10yd. Shot a lot yesterday - was able to figure out how to get 13rds into all 3 new mags. Shot about 4-5 mags from full capacity to slide lock - zero issues. I did not think about or try loading or shooting 13+1. Also, shot probably 20-30 times to slide lock - I feel I have completely eliminated the issue of not having slide lock back by wrapping firing hand thumb behind other thumb.

With about maybe 200 or so rounds and probably double that in dry presses, the trigger is already little better in the new gun too but not near the other one.

Here is a video I made describing how I got 13 rounds in the mag. It was strange having to force the last round in and every mag made the same popping sound, making me almost feel like I broke something.

https://youtu.be/MBpkjiADgnI

My overall feeling with these guns is that they come pretty stiff and tight tolerances when new. So far with my original - things loosen up and get better after a little live/dry fire.

Quote Originally Posted by miller_man View Post
    Couple updates -

Emailed chpws, heard back in about 4 hours. Said yes that plate is the exact adapter plate to convert a factory optic cut from S&W to a 407/507k. Was listed as backordered on 12/22 but was able to place in cart and order - I ordered one. Then yesterday received email update that my order was updated to shipped! Look forward to receiving and installing it.
    Any updates? I've got an optics ready Shield Plus and CHPWS plate on the way. I'll be mounting a 407k. I'm curious if the iron sights are usable with the 407k/plate combo?

Quote Originally Posted by MD7305 View Post
    Any updates? I've got an optics ready Shield Plus and CHPWS plate on the way. I'll be mounting a 407k. I'm curious if the iron sights are usable with the 407k/plate combo?
    I have the same configuration and the irons are very usable.

These are horrible pics and the closet I have ever come to a selfie...

Name:  20220110_225018.jpg
Views: 1173
Size:  11.6 KBName:  20220110_224909.jpg
Views: 1213
Size:  12.8 KB

Quote Originally Posted by SamueL View Post
    I have the same configuration and the irons are very usable.

These are horrible pics and the closet I have ever come to a selfie...

Name:  20220110_225018.jpg
Views: 1173
Size:  11.6 KBName:  20220110_224909.jpg
Views: 1213
Size:  12.8 KB
    That's perfect, thank you. The CHPWS plate was backordered but I went ahead and ordered it anyways.

My LGS was probably ready to give me the boot Saturday for going back and forth between the Shield Plus, G43X MOS, and the P365X/XL...but I'm really happy with my current Shield Plus and it just "feels" so much better to me than the others. Pretty excited to have one with a RDS too.

Quote Originally Posted by MD7305 View Post
    Yes, sorry late to report back. Got mine a little over week ago. Was very pleased that CHPWS included screws that were a perfect fit into the holosun optic and of course the right length and size. The plate itself is just a tad loose in the milled pocket, with just a sliver of free play between back/front of the pocket - I would have preferred a tight fit but I'm sure due to tolerances and such it's better to be a hair small. I mounted it up and there is just a little light showing between the slide and plate, really only in the middle. (Sorry don't have time to upload pics right now). Edit, - yes, sights are totally useable and function about the same as with the crimson trace dot, IMO.

I shot about 70-90 rounds and zeroed the new dot, no issues so far. Look forward to testing it out further. Just having the crimson trace dot and holosun in hand at same time - not surprising, the holosun seems to weigh about double the crimson dot, I take that as a good thing - more robust, better built.

I picked up my optics ready Shield Plus today that I ordered last Saturday. I immediately noticed its frame had a much more matte, "rough" texture on the frame as opposed to my other Plus. No complaints though, it really gives my support hand better traction along the frame.
    Name:  PXL_20220114_194543177.jpg
Views: 1054
Size:  99.6 KB

The sights included have tritium inserts, an orange ring up front and the rear is absent of any rings surrounding the tritium inserts. My preferred iron sights are Trijicon HDs in orange so these sights are not far off what I would normally would install. I'm not sure who manufactures them but they'll be adequate back-ups to the optic I plan on mounting.
    Name:  PXL_20220114_194604457.jpg
Views: 1017
Size:  29.8 KB
    Name:  PXL_20220114_194634094.jpg
Views: 984
Size:  41.6 KB
    Name:  PXL_20220114_194642824.jpg
Views: 1005
Size:  25.4 KB

When I went to remove the optic plate screws I found that the factory installed screws were already so rounded out that a 5/64th wrench or bit wouldn't fit the screw. I tried metric and SAE sizes above and below but nothing worked. I ended up having to hammer a Torx T8 in the screw to remove them both. Neither were overly tight and the threads on the slide looked fine.
    Name:  PXL_20220114_192831521.jpg
Views: 996
Size:  34.9 KB
    Name:  PXL_20220114_192125553.jpg
Views: 1011
Size:  33.4 KB
    The milling also looks good.
    Name:  PXL_20220114_194714338.jpg
Views: 1006
Size:  49.9 KB

One of the things I had been curious about and contemplated was the rear posts for the Shield/Crimson Trace optics. I had read some reports of people removing the posts with a file or Dremel to mount Holosun 407/507K optics. After inspecting the posts there's no way I'd tackle that myself. I've got a CHPWS plate on backorder so I'll be waiting for it to mount the optics. Here's a few pictures of the posts in case anyone else is curious. I couldn't find much when I was researching. I've seen posts on Instagram of some folks saying a Holosun 407/507K is a direct, clean fit and I think that's misleading because it's clearly not.
    Name:  PXL_20220114_194754598.jpg
Views: 1039
Size:  26.2 KB
    Name:  PXL_20220114_194749811.jpg
Views: 1183
Size:  28.1 KB
    Name:  PXL_20220114_194931097.jpg
Views: 2415
Size:  33.5 KB

So now I'll patiently await my CHPWS plate. For just a table top review I'm mostly satisfied with the optics ready version of the Shield but the screw issue is disappointing. I had some out of the box issues mounting optics on both of my M2.0 Compacts as well involving the slide threads for the optic screws so I'm hoping that's not going to be an issue here as well.

Sucks to hear that about your plate cover screws.

Was just recently reading on a local forum, guy who recently just got a NIB M&P 9 had his screws either cross threaded or way over torqued from the factory- stripped the screws 1st day, took to gunsmith and got them off only to break one of the screws off level with the slide. Was sending back to S&W with a 6 week expected turn around.

Ya, totally agree - definitely NOT plug/play for throwing a holosun k dot onto the milled shield plus slide.
    Also, as I stated previously - even if you grind the lugs down, you still don't have the proper screws to mount the holosun dot.

Hope your plate shows up as quickly as mine did.

User Tag List