Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: New to me S&W Model 66-4

You could replace the orange piece with a tritium sight

Quote Originally Posted by MDFA View Post
    Ok guys and gals I'm trying to decide on a front sight. I'm leaning towards a Brass or Gold Bead Novak. As the front sight is integral to the rib, I'll have to have it milled. Thoughts and any experience with anyone? Obviously Novak's is on the list. Not sure that I want to try the job myself.

Thanks in advance.
    Your 66-4 might already have a pinned front sight. Some S&Ws do but the pin is almost impossible to see.

This is what I had a local smith do. Name:  IMG_1494.jpg
Views: 451
Size:  39.6 KB

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by 03RN View Post
    You could replace the orange piece with a tritium sight
    I've seen the Meprolight sight that does that, just not sure that's how I want to go.
    Thanks though
    Be Aware-Stay Safe. Gunfighting Is A Thinking Man's Game. So We Might Want To Bring Thinking Back Into It.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by BN View Post
    Your 66-4 might already have a pinned front sight. Some S&Ws do but the pin is almost impossible to see.

This is what I had a local smith do. Name:  IMG_1494.jpg
Views: 451
Size:  39.6 KB
    I know that is the case, but I've tried high magnification etc and can't see a pin. I know some 2 1/2 inch were pinned, but some weren't. I guess I got the solid one.

Thanks
    Be Aware-Stay Safe. Gunfighting Is A Thinking Man's Game. So We Might Want To Bring Thinking Back Into It.

Ok guys and gals I'm trying to decide on a front sight. I'm leaning towards a Brass or Gold Bead Novak. As the front sight is integral to the rib, I'll have to have it milled. Thoughts and any experience with anyone? Obviously Novak's is on the list. Not sure that I want to try the job myself.

Thanks in advance.
    I have a S&W M27-2 3.5" that was fitted by its former owner with a "Call" style gold bead on a Patridge front sight blade ; it works well because a Call-style bead it is not a true bead like you would find on a rifle--it is round, but the face is flat and this both cuts down on glare and provides a crisp sight picture. I have had true bead front sights on revolvers and they are sub-optimal for at least three reasons: first, they tend to be too small. The Call bead on my 27 is roughly 1/8" round, where many bead sights--for instance, the Ruger Redhawk "Express" bead sights Ruger used to make-- are adapted from rifles and the beads are much smaller. Second, a spherical bead sight will reflect light radially, making aligning the bead with the square notch of the rear sight difficult. Third, and relatedly, it is difficult--for me at least--to hold consistent elevation with a true bead sight and a square notch rear sight. Express style "V" rear sights are worse still, because they give even less visual reference for the relative positions of the bead and rear sight. What works for rifles does not always translate to handguns, and, to my mind, the bead sight is an example of that.

The Novak gold bead front sight on my Colt Wiley Clapp 21st Century Commander is similar to a "Call" style bead, and if Novak will do that sight on a revolver, it would be a good choice.

i don't have a good picture of my M27 to post right now; if I can find time, I'll post one in the next day or two.

If your revolver's front sight is not pinned, one option would be to have the front sight base machined off and a DX-style interchangeable-blade front sight system installed. Bowen makes such bases:

https://parts.bowenclassicarms.com/i...index&cPath=14

That would give you the ability to swap out front sights depending on your application.

Site Supporter

Thanks in advance.
    Well I took the plunge and did the job myself. I started with filing the sight off by hand. I then filed the dovetail and fit the sight. The sight is a Novak 180 Brass Bead Sight for a 1911 I had. I figured that it would give me a good idea of required height and whether or not I want to install a Tritium Sight. So how much is a Mill anyway? Not a job I want to do right off again, but it does give a certain satisfaction and pride of ownership.

Name:  Sight 1.jpg
Views: 308
Size:  27.4 KBName:  Sight 3.jpg
Views: 303
Size:  35.7 KBName:  Sight 4.jpg
Views: 303
Size:  34.2 KBName:  Sight 5.jpg
Views: 307
Size:  46.3 KBName:  Sight 6.jpg
Views: 329
Size:  62.5 KB

Far Upper Midwest. Lower Midwest When I Absolutely Have To
    You got cajones my friend.

Very nice.
    Working diligently to enlarge my group size.

Damn dude. That looks great.

When you make your decision novak has some good options with 2day shipping for $8.

That's pretty awesome.

User Tag List