Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: Minimalist 2 point AR slings?

Reviewer of the Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by theJanitor View Post
    the Ferro Concepts sling also has a metal slider, and it will scratch up your receiver, like it did mine. It's ok with me, but some guys might put off on that.

Am I correct in hearing that the sierratac slider works in the opposite direction of most sliders? I thought someone told me that, but I never looked into it.
    No, the Sierratac slider works the same as my Vickers. As a right-handed shooter, push forward to tighten and pull backwards to loosen.

Basically it appears that the Ferro sling you all are discussing simply takes the adjuster from the VTAC and uses it in a VCAS slider method, on a sling body that looks like a Haley?
    Does the above offend? If you have paid to be here, you can click here to put it in context.

Quote Originally Posted by rob_s View Post
    Basically it appears that the Ferro sling you all are discussing simply takes the adjuster from the VTAC and uses it in a VCAS slider method, on a sling body that looks like a Haley?
    I'd agree with the slider part, but I don't think the sling body has a lot in common with the Haley Strategic sling. The Slingster lets you move the padding portion so you can get it in a position that fits your body and sling attachment points where the HSP is fixed in position and really designed to be used with an end plate sling attachment point. The material on the Slingster is also a little more robust than the HSP while still being lightweight. I never liked the feel of the material on the non padded portion of the HSP. The padded portion is nice though.

Quote Originally Posted by dontshakepandas View Post
    I'd agree with the slider part, but I don't think the sling body has a lot in common with the Haley Strategic sling. The Slingster lets you move the padding portion so you can get it in a position that fits your body and sling attachment points where the HSP is fixed in position and really designed to be used with an end plate sling attachment point. The material on the Slingster is also a little more robust than the HSP while still being lightweight. I never liked the feel of the material on the non padded portion of the HSP. The padded portion is nice though.
    I gotcha. Didn't realize the pad wasn't stitched into place.

I'm not a fan of pads to begin with so I probably didn't focus on that part.
    Does the above offend? If you have paid to be here, you can click here to put it in context.

@Lex Luthier, watch your front stoop next week. Chag Sameach!
    Ken

BBI: ...”you better not forget the safe word because shit's about to get weird”...
    revchuck38: ...”mo' ammo is mo' betta' unless you're swimming or on fire.”

Quote Originally Posted by HeavyDuty View Post
    @Lex Luthier, watch your front stoop next week. Chag Sameach!
    Will do, and thanks, sir!

Also, thanks to everyone for your input so far. I have my likes & dislikes, of course, but I learn a lot here every time I ask a question like this. P-F Rocks.
    (are we also Carbine-Forum? One never knows.)
    "If I ever needed to hunt in a tuxedo, then this would be the rifle I'd take." - okie john

"Not being able to govern events, I govern myself." - Michel De Montaigne

Site Supporter Maple Syrup Actual's Avatar
    https://www.geardynamics.ca/store/quick-adjust-sling

For minimalist 2 points, these are what I use now. Very light. Very well built.
    This is a thread where I built a boat I designed and which I very occasionally update with accounts of using it, which is really fun as long as I'm not driving over logs and blowing up the outboard.
    https://pistol-forum.com/showthread....ilding-a-skiff

Well, life can be very rich...

A friend here kindly sent a 2P Series Tactical sling for me to try, and I had already ordered an SOB B-sling with the U-Loop to see how it works. Both arrived yesterday.
    I am initially fitting the fore end with a double loop of 550 paracord before committing to hardware mounts, as my choices are limited with the VTAC rail to expensive or large footprint picatinny mounts.
    Currently the stock end is looped through the vertical slot. It seems smart to try it before doing any sort of fancy paracord or hardware mount solution.

A note to @pooty & others; the SOB B-Sling does not currently come with the scrunchy to cover the u-loop; I will find or make something to work. The rubber stock band works great so far.

Thanks to everyone; I have learned a lot, and expect to learn a lot more.

Name:  IMG_20210323_153001344~2.jpg
Views: 684
Size:  58.7 KB
    Last edited by Lex Luthier; 03-23-2021 at 04:25 PM. Reason: added potato-vision photo
    "If I ever needed to hunt in a tuxedo, then this would be the rifle I'd take." - okie john

"Not being able to govern events, I govern myself." - Michel De Montaigne

Quote Originally Posted by rob_s View Post
    Of the slings I have owned, the Ferro Slingster has been my least favorite. I think I owned it for less than 48 hours. You describe it more or less correctly in that like the Vtac, it uses that same type cam adjuster except flipped 180 and only 1 pull tab instead of two. The result is a slightly lower profile sling, but at least for mine the adjustment was very rough unlike the smooth opening and closing on Vtac and Vcas slings. I also thought the materials felt cheaper but did like the adjustable padding area.

I've gone back to exclusively Vtac and Vcas slings and am happy. If I wanted a low profile 2 point sling for a lightweight rifle, I'd get the non-padded Vcas, or maybe the padded it you're not stowing the sling much. For whatever reason, I like the Vtac for heavier rifles.

Quote Originally Posted by Maple Syrup Actual View Post
    https://www.geardynamics.ca/store/quick-adjust-sling

For minimalist 2 points, these are what I use now. Very light. Very well built.
    I have two of these on the way. I’m currently using Vickers which are good (but I don’t like the mud issue brought up) the Magpul offering would not keep tension while moving or running so I had to trade that one off and now the Proctor slings are running over $40 (seems like a great guy but that’s pricey in my mind compared to a VCAS). Hope to give good news on Gear Dynamics.
    When you have to shoot, shoot, don't talk. -Tuco
    Today is victory over yourself of yesterday... -Miyamoto Musashi

User Tag List