Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Minimalist 2 point AR slings?

Quote Originally Posted by Grouse870 View Post
    The Proctor sling I mentioned in the OP is this very one.
    "If I ever needed to hunt in a tuxedo, then this would be the rifle I'd take." - okie john

"Not being able to govern events, I govern myself." - Michel De Montaigne

20 years ago, way back before BFG and VTAC, we went to REI and bought nylon web strap for like $.10-.15 per foot. They sell try glides too. Go buy 30 foot of it, and a few tri glides. Make lots of slings in whatever length you want.

Back in the day... We made our own tac slings for the issued 870, since the uncle Mike’s slings they issued would allow over one shoulder carry, but would not even go across our body when wearing armor. Mounted the slings to the guns using flex cuffs. Less than $5 per sling.
    “A gun is a tool, Marian; no better or no worse than any other tool: an axe, a shovel or anything. A gun is as good or as bad as the man using it. Remember that.” - Shane

Sorry glanced right over that part. It’s a good sling I’ve used it in a few carbine classes and it works. Not a lot to it. It does kinda suck if your rifle is on the heavier side.
    Vtac is also a pretty good sling.
    Instagram: sometimesishootCs

Quote Originally Posted by Cory View Post
    I'll probably be buying another sling soon. I plan to get a Blue Force Gear Vickers Sling.

This is the best answer.

Quote Originally Posted by Gadfly View Post
    20 years ago, way back before BFG and VTAC, we went to REI and bought nylon web strap for like $.10-.15 per foot. They sell try glides too. Go buy 30 foot of it, and a few tri glides. Make lots of slings in whatever length you want.

Back in the day... We made our own tac slings for the issued 870, since the uncle Mike’s slings they issued would allow over one shoulder carry, but would not even go across our body when wearing armor. Mounted the slings to the guns using flex cuffs. Less than $5 per sling.
    Yeah, that’s all called progress dude. Some sling prices are out of control now a days but the benefit to having a quick adjust is pretty significant given that several designs include it at a decent price.

My favorite is the Redback One sling because it has a sliding piece for your neck that actually ads a lot of comfort.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I’ve had a few BFG VCAS slings and they were great but minimalist and light weight are important to me so after trying a Proctor sling I now have 6 of them. Haven’t had any issues with any of them.

Quote Originally Posted by MEH View Post
    I use redi-mag's 2P Tactical Quick Adjustable Sling. $20-$25 depending on width and kitting. Never felt like I needed anything else. Pretty basic.
    This. They’ve worked great for me over the years.
    Ken

BBI: ...”you better not forget the safe word because shit's about to get weird”...
    revchuck38: ...”mo' ammo is mo' betta' unless you're swimming or on fire.”

Weird retro/humble-brags aside, there some interesting suggestions in this thread. Some thoughts from my own use of 2-point slings...

I pretty much only like QD socket attachments. Can’t stand strings and not a fan of lacing the webbing though the slots on the stock. Lacing seems “minimal” until you realize it takes 2-3 tri-glides to do it.

Also not a fan of mash hooks or Hk hooks or any of that other crap. I want the QD sockets themselves to be rotation-limited but not rotation-preventing. All of this is because I want some amount of rotation on the sling and webbing, but I don’t want the damn thing getting all twisted up around itself. I also want to be able to easily remove the sling for all kinds of reasons, not the least of which is separating the upper from the lower for cleaning, compact transport, etc.

Most padded slings seem like a good idea at first and then turn out of to be overly bulky and weird. At least one sling recommended in this thread appears to have some sort of wider section with squared corners at the transition from wide to narrow. Nope, nope, nopety, nope. That corner is just going to keep hanging up on stuff. They could at least taper that transition. Note how Haley’s sling tapers the transitions.

https://haleystrategic.com/d3-sling

Don’t get tricked into pliable sling material. You want some stiffness here. Overly pliable material will roll in in itself and distribute the load along a single line rather than along a flat plane. Weight distribution is your friend.

No bungies, stretchiness, etc.

I prefer as few buckles, tri-glides and other do-dads and attachments as possible. They just wind up in the way at some point. One more reason I like QD sockets, and I prefer them to be sewn in.

I’m not gonna lie, I still like a 2-to-1-pint convertible sling. Probably not the new hotness today. But I like a QD socket at the far front end of the forend, one at the barrel nut, one at the castle nut, and one on the ejection port side a the heel of the stock. I like options, and with a decent sling and some thoughtfulness you can have options with next to zero downsides.

I prefer something to grab onto, at least a short tail on the quick-adjust portion. I don’t like a lot of dangling parts and pieces, however. Ive used the Biking Tactics and SOB Tactical slings and they are generally ok but I don’t like that loose tail. I’m pretty high drag and low speed and even I’ve caught those tails on things. I also don’t like pulling on one tail to tighten and another to loosen.
    https://www.vikingtactics.com/product-p/vtac-mk1.htm

All of that adds up to the BFG Vickers Push Button still being my favorite. Various folks make parts that you can attach to give you the 2-to-1-point functionality of you want to try it. When someone says “minimalist” I don’t know how you can get much more minimalist than this. One adjustments tri-glide, one quick-adjust slider, and one tri-glide to attach the two halves of the sling, plus two QD sockets. Compare that to the hodge lodge of plastic and shit going on with some of these slings.
    https://www.blueforcegear.com/vicker...on-slings.html

If the $85 scares you, or you aren’t sure how to want to attach it to the gun, there’s a $45 one that comes without attachment hardware.
    https://www.blueforcegear.com/vickers-one-sling

I have a Magpul MS4 on one of my guns now. I like some of it, but there are too many goddamn tri-glides on this thing
    https://magpul.com/catalog/product/v...obal_color=118
    Does the above offend? If you have paid to be here, you can click here to put it in context.

I am a big fan of the proctor sling for the simplicity. I don't find any issue with "slinging up" and getting a an upper arm loop out of it. Easy and quick to adjust the length to sling the rifle. I was skeptical the first time I saw them, but in use it has been great.
    Support the Second Amendment Foundation and the Firearms Policy Coalition, join and give!

User Tag List