Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Minimalist 2 point AR slings?

Quote Originally Posted by rob_s View Post
    I really wish that when they went from the MS1 to the MS1 QDM they'd do more than just add two QD swivels for the $40 increase. I like the Magpul swivels and all, I just wish they sewed them in for all that extra money and ditched all that extra hardware.
    Understandable sentiment, but then you couldn't remove the QD swivels anymore and you'd lose the ability to run the sling as a standard MS1 without the swivels (unlikely as it may be). So I guess we should be happy that the $40 price increase buys two of the QDM swivels that usually cost $27.95 a pop.

I’ve been using BFG Vickers slings in this configuration for over ten years. This is about as minimal, simple, and strong as a sling is gonna get.

Last edited by M2CattleCo; 03-15-2021 at 11:29 AM.

My go-to for a non-folding AR is the vickers, and a QD at the front. For my AR's equipped with LAW folders, I've moved to the Edgar Sherman slings, with the small "D" ring QD's, as it's easier to tie up than a thick sling like the vickers.

THe vickers is what I recommend to most looking for a bombproof, easy to adjust, two point sling

Magpul MS1 with QD hardware and BFG Vickers slings are my favorite. Once I started using a quick adjust 2 point there was no way I was ever gonna go back to just a nylon strap with a couple tri-glides.

I have a Viking Tactics sling that I turned into a makeshift dog leash when I forgot the leash at home, it works much better as a dog leash than a rifle sling.

I really like the VTAC slings. I cut the cuff off to get more adjustment as they can be pulled up a lot tighter than the VCAS slings.

I still use the VCAS 99% of the time or more though.

Hi Risk Customer Services
    The captive tail of the Vickers as opposed to the Vtac is what sold me on the VCAS originally. The issue with the Vickers that I have found over time is that the webbing is thick and less flexible. The adjustment mechanism is also stiffer due to the extra friction of sliding over that thick webbing. This thick stiff webbing keeps the Vickers sling from tightening to the body as closely as I would like. It also tends to dig into/abrade the neck more when shooting in adverse positions or armor.

Recently I purchased a Sierratac padded sling from Spiritus Systems. It uses thinner more flexible webbing as well as a machined aluminum slide adjustment mechanism. I was skeptical when I first took it out of the packaging and thought it felt flimsy. It uses only one tri-glide on each end as opposed to two. I decided to mount it to my rifle anyways and use it in training last week. The sling is a dream to shoot with. Much lighter felt weight. Less bulk to be conscious of and work around. Fast and smooth adjustment and can tighten down to the body better than the Vickers.

The cost is maybe $10-15 more than a vickers, but I'm fine with that. The aluminum adjustment slider may scratch your upper during storage depending on how you stow it. I'm not worried about single tri-glide at all as I back-fed each end and secured the tails with tape.

I've had a few issues with vickers slings not adjusting when dirty. If the webbing gets caked with mud it can become very difficult to slide the adjuster.

Simple slings with tails seem to be more relisient when it comes to dirt, and you have a lot more leverage to pull with.

The tail has never been a problem for me. I've been using a tail sling for biathlons/run n guns which include their fair share of natural and man made obstacles.

the Ferro Concepts sling also has a metal slider, and it will scratch up your receiver, like it did mine. It's ok with me, but some guys might put off on that.

Am I correct in hearing that the sierratac slider works in the opposite direction of most sliders? I thought someone told me that, but I never looked into it.

I like the Ferro Concepts sling a lot... but the scratching issue was a negative for me. I don’t really mind my guns getting wear or scratches over time from use, but the amount of scratches it got from just sitting in the safe with the sling on was a bit much.

My new favorite sling is the contour by Lunar Concepts, it is very similar to the Slingster but with polymer hardware, a better (IMO) pull tab, and a curve in the padding that makes it fit a bit better and works better for shoulder transitions when attached to the outside end of the stock.

I used a Proctor sling for a while, no issues with the exception of the stock "550" cord it was sent with. It looked more like cheap shoestring so I cut it loose and substituted real paracord which I like better. Now I use the Edgar Sherman sling with an HK hook front and rear. Easy to move between rifles.

User Tag List