Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678 LastLast

Thread: Minimalist 2 point AR slings?

Site Supporter Maple Syrup Actual's Avatar
    Well, GD are good guys. I don't think they've ever given me free stuff, although it's possible because I used to get a lot of that. But I don't think so. I think I'm a disinterested third party, although I guess the machinist who makes their slider buckles is a pretty good friend of mine. But he probably doesn't make a huge amount of money off that contract, anyway.

I spent my own money on their slings before I realized who was making the sliders, and I like them. I hope they work for you as well.
    This is a thread where I built a boat I designed and which I very occasionally update with accounts of using it, which is really fun as long as I'm not driving over logs and blowing up the outboard.
    https://pistol-forum.com/showthread....ilding-a-skiff

I purchased the Edgar Sherman design sling for an M4 I just completed. Very simple design, easy to adjust/use, and stows well.
    No QD's for me, direct attachment to the carbine.

https://www.edgarshermandesign.com/product/esd-sling/
    Last edited by CSW; 04-20-2021 at 08:41 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Gadfly View Post
    20 years ago, way back before BFG and VTAC, we went to REI and bought nylon web strap for like $.10-.15 per foot. They sell try glides too. Go buy 30 foot of it, and a few tri glides. Make lots of slings in whatever length you want.

Back in the day... We made our own tac slings for the issued 870, since the uncle Mike’s slings they issued would allow over one shoulder carry, but would not even go across our body when wearing armor. Mounted the slings to the guns using flex cuffs. Less than $5 per sling.
    Funny you say that. In the summer I tried a very highly regarded sling but found it didn't work for me because I am shorter than average so boredom got the better of me and for $30 in materials I turned this:

Name:  mb289OU.jpg
Views: 612
Size:  101.0 KB

Into this

Name:  nyHVpZj.jpg
Views: 644
Size:  102.8 KB

Editing quick to add a picture of the sling on a rifle:

Name:  XBSNiGg.jpg
Views: 668
Size:  101.8 KB
    Last edited by mrozowjj; 04-22-2021 at 08:20 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by mrozowjj View Post
    Funny you say that. In the summer I tried a very highly regarded sling but found it didn't work for me because I am shorter than average so boredom got the better of me and for $30 in materials I turned this:

Name:  mb289OU.jpg
Views: 612
Size:  101.0 KB

Into this

Name:  nyHVpZj.jpg
Views: 644
Size:  102.8 KB

Editing quick to add a picture of the sling on a rifle:

Name:  XBSNiGg.jpg
Views: 668
Size:  101.8 KB
    Necessity is the mother of invention. Looks good, and you got exactly what you wanted and needed. And you got to learn a little something about the craftsmanship of making a sling.

Bravo sir!
    “A gun is a tool, Marian; no better or no worse than any other tool: an axe, a shovel or anything. A gun is as good or as bad as the man using it. Remember that.” - Shane

Quote Originally Posted by Gadfly View Post
    Necessity is the mother of invention. Looks good, and you got exactly what you wanted and needed. And you got to learn a little something about the craftsmanship of making a sling.

Bravo sir!
    Sewing the quick pull loop was super easy once; I just had to think about how to do it. If you know how to sew in a straight line on a sewing machine you two can make your own quick adjust pull loop sling like I did.

Just double it around a slider and put in a lot of stitches in it across. I added some red lines because the sitches were hard to see but the goal was to just put in enoug that you stitch the two pieces together without any gaps forming when you bend it.

Name:  Qo9TOpo.jpg
Views: 581
Size:  65.5 KB

Then pull it around and feed it through the other side of the slider like this

Name:  qZVUEIK.jpg
Views: 573
Size:  103.0 KB

Then stitch it closed.

Name:  vxcJlUF.jpg
Views: 586
Size:  36.3 KB

Boom. Now you can loop it through to make a quick adjust pull. I can make a quick video of how the sling works works or I can make it all over again and take better pictures if someone wants a how-to guide. The most expensive part of the sling is the QD swivels at $18 for the pair; the webbing is like 40-50 cents a foot, the sliders are like 55 cents each.

Whole thing weighs 4 oz

Quote Originally Posted by mrozowjj View Post
    Sewing the quick pull loop was super easy once; I just had to think about how to do it. If you know how to sew in a straight line on a sewing machine you two can make your own quick adjust pull loop sling like I did.

Just double it around a slider and put in a lot of stitches in it across. I added some red lines because the sitches were hard to see but the goal was to just put in enoug that you stitch the two pieces together without any gaps forming when you bend it.

Name:  Qo9TOpo.jpg
Views: 581
Size:  65.5 KB

Then pull it around and feed it through the other side of the slider like this

Name:  qZVUEIK.jpg
Views: 573
Size:  103.0 KB

Then stitch it closed.

Name:  vxcJlUF.jpg
Views: 586
Size:  36.3 KB

Boom. Now you can loop it through to make a quick adjust pull. I can make a quick video of how the sling works works or I can make it all over again and take better pictures if someone wants a how-to guide. The most expensive part of the sling is the QD swivels at $18 for the pair; the webbing is like 40-50 cents a foot, the sliders are like 55 cents each.

Whole thing weighs 4 oz

Now you've got to come up with a tacti-cool name for your new sling.
    The 'Singer' sling [for the sewing machine]?
    The M-roz sling?

Nice work fella!
    "... And miles to go before I sleep".

I’ve become tired of excess sling. I watched a video on IG from 10 zero concepts about the Base Camp Kilo slings. They’ve eliminated the slack issue...

Quote Originally Posted by CSW View Post
    Now you've got to come up with a tacti-cool name for your new sling.
    The 'Singer' sling [for the sewing machine]?
    The M-roz sling?

Nice work fella!
    It's actually a Brother sewing machine so I could unironically call it the "Bro-Sling"

100% serious I still have like yards of the nylon and I could get more of the sliders and many things are still closed near me so if anyone wanted one I'd be happy to slap one together. You'd have to supply your own swivels.

"carbine-infested rural (and suburban) areas"
    Primary Arms has some BFG (Vickers) slings on sale.
    -----------------------------------------
    Not another dime.

Don't know anything about either of these companies but I ran across this and it reminded me of this thread: New From Klik Belts and Black Collar Arms: The Klik Sling 2-Point Modular Quick Adjust Rifle Sling
    Nothing so needs reforming as other people's habits - Mark Twain

Tact is the knack of making a point without making an enemy / Where is the wisdom we have lost in knowledge?

User Tag List