Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: Win 70 or R 700 .223 for a beginner “precision” rifle?

Quote Originally Posted by awp_101 View Post
    Picked this up today:

Rem 700 .223 with a 20" Krieger barrel, H-S stock and what feels like a replacement or massaged trigger. Barrel passes the dollar bill free float test all the way to the receiver. It's supposed to have been touched by a noted precision 'smith, hopefully I can contact him Monday and see if he has any particulars such as twist, trigger, etc.
    That looks like an old Remington LTR stock made by HS Precision. The triggers in the early LTRs were upgraded as well IIRC a 40x (the 40x trigger was adjustable without removing from stock, is there an adjustment screw in front of trigger?). Way better stock than the flexible plastic garbage that they use now. Kriegers are great barrels. Awesome find.

Quote Originally Posted by awp_101 View Post
    Picked this up today:
    Attachment 69719

Rem 700 .223 with a 20" Krieger barrel, H-S stock and what feels like a replacement or massaged trigger. Barrel passes the dollar bill free float test all the way to the receiver. It's supposed to have been touched by a noted precision 'smith, hopefully I can contact him Monday and see if he has any particulars such as twist, trigger, etc.
    Very nice. I especially like that 20" heavy barrel. Let us know how it shoots.
    In the P-F basket of deplorables.

Quote Originally Posted by Jimichanga View Post
    That looks like an old Remington LTR stock made by HS Precision. The triggers in the early LTRs were upgraded as well IIRC a 40x (the 40x trigger was adjustable without removing from stock, is there an adjustment screw in front of trigger?). Way better stock than the flexible plastic garbage that they use now. Kriegers are great barrels. Awesome find.
    I’ll look for an adjustment screw this evening. It’s an E series sn if that helps anyone date it. 2010-ish I think?
    Nothing so needs reforming as other people's habits - Mark Twain

Tact is the knack of making a point without making an enemy / Where is the wisdom we have lost in knowledge?

Quote Originally Posted by Borderland View Post
    Very nice. I especially like that 20" heavy barrel. Let us know how it shoots.
    The barrel length was the final selling point when I was debating this or a Model 70 I had my eye on. From a bench longer may be better (up to a point), but I’m a carbine/short rifle guy at heart and don’t particularly care for barrels over 20”. Probably because my first rifle was a Winchester 94 .30-30 carbine and I spent untold hours carrying a Crosman 760 around until I was old enough to be turned loose with the 94.
    Nothing so needs reforming as other people's habits - Mark Twain

Tact is the knack of making a point without making an enemy / Where is the wisdom we have lost in knowledge?

A longer barrel is only valuable for (usually) squeezing a little more velocity out of a cartridge. More velocity reduces the impact of wind for a given bullet/cartridge, and flattens trajectory for variable ranges. My .223 really only sees use out to 300 yards--I'm looking at a 17-18" barrel, just barely long-enough to clear the chassis.

20" will do just fine. 22" is my choice for 223 although I have a 24" barrel being made right now in 1:7 because I want to send 80s to 1K and beyond, and am looking at the 85 RDF as well. A friend has a 26" 223 and sends the 75 Amax at 3050 FPS with a compressed load of Varget.

Every inch adds about 25 FPS. I get 2690 FPS from my 16" AR with a 77 grain bullet. A 24" bolt action should get me 2950 which should reduce windage by 15-20%.

Up here in the thin air, 16 - 18" barrels will get a warmly loaded 77 SMK, and the higher BC (Amax, RDF, ELD, VLD, etc) bullets to 1000 yards.

Don't forget that velocity helps the BC of a bullet. Most listed BCs for a bullet are based on an Average. If you can send that bullet out with an above average velocity, and flatten the trajectory, it really helps at longer ranges.
    -Seconds Count. Misses Don't-

Picking barrel length in rifles is much like picking holsters for EDC, there are lots of choices, and the one that works for one circumstance best will probably not work the best for all....

This fall's science fair project in my household included spinning up a 25" finished ( I was two cheap to cut up a 31" bartlien), 1-7 blank, chambering it in 5.56, attaching it to a SBR and chopping it down to various common lengths.. We instrumented with down range acoustic chronographs to be able to get stop and starts to do future projects to include BC experiments based upon velocity along comparison experiments between lab radar and magnetospeed, along with the original barrel length vs. velocity experiment.

Attached is the the velocity data vs. barrel length for one particular load (M193)
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Skinner Precision LLC official Account
    07 Manufacturer specializing in Competition Rifles

User Tag List